Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Stadia (Google)

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I'd be interested to see whether the system suffers from latency issues with fps games.
I doubt the server end will have issues, Google will just throw more resources at it, but sure the infrastructure between the server and the user could be severely tested. Google are claiming they can get it to below 13ms. Not sure how they can guarantee that. So effectively given the massive improvements to consoles it is going to come down to price and portability. It will depend on how much the games are subsidised and what you want to pay to play games away from home.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I doubt the server end will have issues, Google will just throw more resources at it, but sure the infrastructure between the server and the user could be severely tested. Google are claiming they can get it to below 13ms. Not sure how they can guarantee that. So effectively given the massive improvements to consoles it is going to come down to price and portability. It will depend on how much the games are subsidised and what you want to pay to play games away from home.
Surely most away from home gamers won't enjoy the kind of speed or stable connection to allow for a good experience?

It appeals to me on the basis that I can play on my living room TV with little hardware investment. I would have thought that alone would tempt casual gamers back if they can make the experience half decent.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I doubt the server end will have issues, Google will just throw more resources at it, but sure the infrastructure between the server and the user could be severely tested. Google are claiming they can get it to below 13ms. Not sure how they can guarantee that.

that cant, its outside their control. its pretty unrealistic outside a LAN.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
4g is more than capable of reaching the DL speeds Google is saying and 5g will piss it in. The issue will arise over DL charges ie maxing out your GB allowance
In theory, but there are so many patchy places, even in a town or city. I can't see the experience being up to much at the moment.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
In case anyone was thinking about taking the plunge with Stadia there's an offer on at the minute that if you buy Cyberpunk 2077 for £50 you get a free controller and dongle (normal sale price for those is £90)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here