Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Cost of living in Spain

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Where about dare you in Mercia [MENTION=5492]murciagull[/MENTION] ?
We’re in Mazarrón

Mula about 45 minutes inland from Mazarron, have worked on a market on Camposol every Thursday but am giving that up soon.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My dream after watching Homes in The Sun is to win enough on the lottery to buy a place in Spain and fly home every other Friday to watch the games at The Amex, see the family then fly back on Monday. We can all dream.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Hi Moved to Spain 15 years ago to a four bed end of terrace house in a small town in the hills in Murcia. Electricity works out about 40 euros per month (dont have air con but ceiling fans in 4 rooms),water rates inc sewage about 25 euros per month, rates 135 euros per YEAR!. Shopping inc a couple of bottles of wine about 80 euros a week. heating and hot water are by gas bottles 13 euros each probably get through 15 a year. Eating out we pay about 10 euros a head for a lunch time menu (3 courses, bottle of wine, coffee)Expect to pay more weekends and evenings. Hope this helps, if you are relying on a pension then the rate of exchange can make a big difference. If there is a no deal Brexit and the rules regarding health cover change then you may find a lot of Brits moving back to the UK and there could be some real bargains to be had on house purchases. If you need any more info PM me.

15 gas bottles a year! We use about 6.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
That’s where we are....... on camposol

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
The weakness of the pound and its future prospects are going to be your big issue.

For those coming in from other € countries Spain is really good value and prices/services have been very stable since I bought about 6 years ago.

I wouldn't even think about buying until the dust has settled on Brexit and you can see a) what the housing market is up to and b) how the currency is holding up

Oh and if you do decide to go for it make sure you go for visits in Jan/Feb and see if the climate is to your liking ... we did and it's why we ended up down in the Canaries

Mrs W E and myself are considering Gran Canaria. She knows she can get work, but what is employment like for an older brit? I don't want to be selling boat rides or working in catering. Not looking for a high salary, just to supplement pensions.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
If you stay away from the coast and touristy areas property and rental prices are far cheaper, i moved from Alicante to a far superior property near Albox in the Almeria region. I am renting because that suits my circumstances but the price i am paying is two thirds of what i paid on the coast for a bigger property.

As others have said, i would rent before you buy, your first year here still feels like a holiday, once things settle down and things become more routine you may find that things aren't as you first expected or maybe just that another area you didn't previously know about is more suitable.

Dont be put off by moving away from the coast due to language barriers, many many ex-pats have made the same move, the area i am in, i expected to be very Spanish and actually expected to struggle despite speaking a little Spanish (not nearly enough) but my first day here, i sat down at a pub and the first person to walk past smiled and said "alright mate?". There is actually quite a lot of Brits around here and much more of a community feel than i ever felt on the coast, that's not to say there isn't a community feel there, there definitely is, it's just maybe a bit more togetherness here.

As for cost of living, mine is comparible with others, basically almost everything is cheaper, even allowing for the falling pound, if you smoke and drink, a pint will normally cost between €2 to €2.30, a bottle of Mahou or Alhambra is about €1.30. A pack of cigs is normally anywhere between €4 and €5 depending on what you smoke, tobacco is about €8.50 for 50g. So less than half of UK prices even at £1 = €1.

Spain isn't for everyone, so make sure it's right for you before you buy, as selling seems to take forever in many cases, but most people you meet are very happy to have moved here and wouldn't move back, as i said, not everyone but most, i certainly have no intention of going back at this time.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Mrs W E and myself are considering Gran Canaria. She knows she can get work, but what is employment like for an older brit? I don't want to be selling boat rides or working in catering. Not looking for a high salary, just to supplement pensions.

Can't help there I'm afraid. I'm in Tenerife and don't work. Given the nature of the islands I'd expect pretty well anything is going to be casual, tourism related. Might be admin type work in car rental, estate agents, hotel back office, that sort of thing, but will require a bit of leg work

Good luck

Talk to [MENTION=255]Cadiz Seagull[/MENTION]

Depends very much where you are. If you want the real Spain, 97% Spanish, very traditional, very friendly, very beautiful and peaceful then forget the Costas.

Extremadura ticks all those boxes.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/spain/articles/10-things-you-should-know-about-extremadura/

Cost of living considerably cheaper than UK . Decent size house equivalent of UK Council Tax (IBI) about 15-20 euros per MONTH, as an example

I sell property there so if you need more info just shout. http://www.extremacasa.com/general/mainpage.php See video on first page

But if you are looking for English pubs and nightclubs then you're looking in the wrong place

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Depends very much where you are. If you want the real Spain, 97% Spanish, very traditional, very friendly, very beautiful and peaceful then forget the Costas.

Extremadura ticks all those boxes.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/spain/articles/10-things-you-should-know-about-extremadura/

Cost of living considerably cheaper than UK . Decent size house equivalent of UK Council Tax (IBI) about 15-20 euros per MONTH, as an example

I sell property there so if you need more info just shout. http://www.extremacasa.com/general/mainpage.php See video on first page

But if you are looking for English pubs and nightclubs then you're looking in the wrong place

Cheers chap, I'm hoping after all your effort, the OP has seen this :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Mrs H & I are thinking of getting a place in Spain to get a bit of better weather in the winter and holidays etc so we are researching the costs of owning somewhere.
I know there's a few ex-pats and holiday-home owners on here so was wondering if you could tell me what it costs to own/run a place (utilities/local taxes/maintenance etc) ?
Parents did the same for the last 20 years. If I were going on that many holidays I'd rather go to different places, but it worked well for them as they were always playing golf over there. In the end though, the cost of looking after it and the general ineptitude of companies in Spain (like trying to have a working phone line and internet) meant they sold it.

If I were to buy, I'd look at second hand places that should sell well in another decade or two, rather than a new place that's been sold with lots of marketing, and won't have the resale value.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I think Spain is like most other countries , if you want to holiday in Marbella or Barcelona then you will be paying roughly similar to Brighton. If you are happy to go to somewhere less upmarket in spain there is lots of choice and yes the cost can be 50%-75% less.

Bit like France, you can buy a huge detached house in normandy for £400,000 but in the more fashionable cote de zur you will be lucky to get a tiny one bed flat for that You usually pay for amenities close at hand. Nice restaurants boutique shops dont usually come cheap ! Irish style pubs and mainly kebab places and fast food places usually mean cheap housing.

Sounds a bit snobby i know but it is true

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On a flight back from Malaga we sat next to a chap wgho told us that he worked at BAE Farnborough but lived just north of Malaga. He said he flew to Gatwick and drove to his parents house in Farnham then worked 4 x 13 hour days on flexi hours, staying at his parents then flew back to Malaga fort 4 days and then repeated it. When asked what the advantages were he said his 4 bedroom house was far better than he could get for the same money in England. The weather on his 4 days off and most importantly the discipline for his 2 children was far better in a Spanish school. He knew his work rota so booked his flights with Easy jet well in advance and at the best prices.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On a flight back from Malaga we sat next to a chap wgho told us that he worked at BAE Farnborough but lived just north of Malaga. He said he flew to Gatwick and drove to his parents house in Farnham then worked 4 x 13 hour days on flexi hours, staying at his parents then flew back to Malaga fort 4 days and then repeated it. When asked what the advantages were he said his 4 bedroom house was far better than he could get for the same money in England. The weather on his 4 days off and most importantly the discipline for his 2 children was far better in a Spanish school. He knew his work rota so booked his flights with Easy jet well in advance and at the best prices.

Each to their own but I’d be dead for 4 days after working 4 13 hour shifts back-2-back.

Mar 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
We brought an apartment in Mojácar, Almeria about 18 years ago when our kids were young. We’ve spent loads of time there over those years. Now they’ve grown up and prefer not to holiday with us, we try to get a 4 or 5 day break there every month. We love it. Although I’d never move out full time, the aim would be to spend longer breaks, especially in the winter. Our area is typically around 20c in Nov, Dec and Jan. Cost of living is miles cheaper, fresh produce from markets is amazing quality. We pay community charges for pools cleaning and gardens €80/month, €25 local tax, water/air con/electric €50. Internet is about €15pm and can be turned off when not required, so only pay for when we use it. Never had any regrets about buying it.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Been living here 10 years now. Situated inland but only 20 mins from Malaga Airport. It's a Spanish town, no English bars etc. Very friendly neighbours and very quiet - except for barking dogs! That's always a problem in Spain. Costs, well we live in a large house, 6 beds, 4 bathrooms, pool. Outside we have a mix of 30 orange, lemon, grapefruit, avocado, fig, mango, plum & peach trees, the IBI (rates) on this are 750 euros a year. Rubbish is collected from outside our gate 3 nights a week. We are fully incorporated into the Spanish health system and our town/village has a 24 hour health centre. Appointments for this can be made either by phone, in person, by email or using the phone App. Normally seen the same day or within 24 hours. We don't use bottled gas (hate the stuff as it's 'wet' fuel and causes mould in most houses), but cook etc using electricity. Water is solar via an energy panel. Winter heating - yes Spanish houses get very cold in the winter - is by pellet burner & wood burner. Electricity, with Nordic Energy, averages 70 euros a month but that includes pool pump etc.

Our village/town has some great ventas offering menu del dia for 7 euros inc a bottle of wine, and the most expensive one is 8.50. Living costs have risen drastically since 2016 caused by the £ devaluation, but it's still good value.

Local transport is cheap, compared to the UK, with plenty of buses and super high speed train connections to the rest of Spain, and beyond.

Television is now served with providers like TVmucho or a Firestick with a good VPN, plenty of options now.

Do I miss anything? Yes. The Albion & real ale!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Thanks for the info.
Wife retires next May so we're going to rent a place (location to be decided but probably somewhere between Murcia and Almeria) for jan/feb/mar 2021 to see how we like it and scope out a few locations.
My preference is a Spanish town with a few facilities (couple of bars, cafes, doctors etc). I've started to try and learn Spanish too .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here