Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is Baltimore really a crime and rodent infested area?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Last year (or the year before, I can't remember), I was chatting to some Ravens fans who'd come over for their game at Wembley, whilst queueing for beer in the tailgate. One white couple, one back couple (they weren't together as a group).

I asked how realistic The Wire was, and the white couple said "no, not at all, it's totally overdone". The black couple looked very surprised at this, and said they felt it was a very realistic portrayal of inner city Baltimore.

I think they were still arguing as I said my goodbyes and wished them a pleasant stay.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The most rats I've seen in a city was along the promenade on Madeira Drive arches any dusk throughout the 70's and 80's. (Possibly the still the same but don't tend to get down there around dusk these days). There were always hundreds in the shrub beds and running along the gutters.

3642375_cf13d78d.jpg

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Yes it is .

The former black mayoress is on film from a news bulletin from last year shocked at the stink and infestation of rats , as is Bernie Sanders who described it as looking like a third world country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yes it is .

The former black mayoress is on film from a news bulletin from last year shocked at the stink and infestation of rats , as is Bernie Sanders who described it as looking like a third world country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sanders did not say it looks like a third world country, he said "You would think that you were in a Third World country. What we're talking about is a community in which half of the people don't have jobs. We're talking about a community in which there are hundreds of buildings that are uninhabitable. We're talking about a community where kids are unable to go to schools that are decent."

Trump & Fox ignored the context of what Bernie actually said, but instead attacked him for saying Baltimore looks like a third world country.

https://www.salon.com/2019/07/30/sorry-republicans-bernie-sanders-did-not-attack-baltimore-the-way-trump-did/

Marlton and Hove Albion

Oct 11, 2018
Sarasota FL
MANY US Inner Cities are like Third World Countries / War Zones. Detroit, Philadelphia, Chicago, Baltimore, Atlanta, Houston, Newark, Trenton, Camden and on and on. They are mostly poor, black/hispanic citizens and run by overwhelmingly corrupt democrat politicians. What Trump said was 100% accurate. I take the train through Baltimore often and my neck hurts from shaking my head about the utter filth and squalor. After dark, parts of these cities are absolutely no go areas. Sorry to offend but do a little research and find your own facts. These residents have been let down by Republicans AND Democrats and have allowed gangs to take over. They can't giveaway their houses, the schools are shocking and they are caught in a spiral of poverty. I have NO IDEA if there is an answer to this. Politicians have failed tens of millions of Americans and only the fortunate or uber determined manage to escape (see Dr. Ben Carson).

Sanders did not say it looks like a third world country, he said "You would think that you were in a Third World country. What we're talking about is a community in which half of the people don't have jobs. We're talking about a community in which there are hundreds of buildings that are uninhabitable. We're talking about a community where kids are unable to go to schools that are decent."

Trump & Fox ignored the context of what Bernie actually said, but instead attacked him for saying Baltimore looks like a third world country.

https://www.salon.com/2019/07/30/sorry-republicans-bernie-sanders-did-not-attack-baltimore-the-way-trump-did/

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Donald Trump is very fond of using the word infested. He applies it to all sorts of situations, such as African countries being Ebola infested.

It's all part of dehumanising people.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
It's always strange to read a thread such as this when you have visited the place concerned.

Stayed 2 weeks in Baltimore in 1996 and it was a very mixed city.

We were staying in Federal Hill on one side of the inner harbour. It was upmarket and had nice museums etc. You could also walk in that part of the city without feeling threatened visiting the harbour , Camden Yards baseball arena, the B & O railway museum etc.

However, we were advised to be careful when walking to Lexington Market and their Cotton Club areas. We did both and saw no trouble.Never saw rats either.

Think all major cities in the world could be labelled in similar terms. Anybody visiting Brighton today with graffiti, litter, tents in shopping streets etc. would not be impressed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here