Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So, as nobody can 100% agree on a definitive route out of this, do you think we should scrap the whole idea, and stay in? Put aside your Leave/Remain bias, would it be fair to scrap this simply because there are a million variables to prevent a majority 'Yes, we'll have that one'?

No, Brexit won last time and fully deserves a chance to be put forward. I think we should have another referendum, between a specific agreed form of Brexit, and Remain. If Brexit won it would be respected and should be implemented as soon as possible. We only need a second referendum because they ****ed up the first one by being faaaar too vague with the Leave option.

You seem to be suggesting we should implement something huge and irreversible even if no one wants it. That's ludicrous.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Now you are being an utter arse. They (leave) won the referendum, end, finale etc etc... I was angry, but that is what happened. Any other outcome other than the UK leaving the EU will set the UK back so far in terms of unity that it may never recover. Plus I want all the half wits who voted for it to see and feel the results of their stupidity.

So one of your main motivations for wanting to see the result enacted is spite?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
So why not answer the question... what would be your preferred type of Brexit? Do you have one?

My job/training is not as glamorous as to be able to allow me to satisfy all of the million concerns. Whilst I am not questioning your intellect, I doubt you could achieve this either.

Leave it to the experts, I don't offer them advice when it comes to the Budget.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If you like, you are the one putting statements of my thought process.

Why is asking about sales an attack, an admirable profession imho?

Sorry, I had assumed you were in favour of the UK holding more democratic power - based on your vote to Leave.

Is this incorrect? If so, I apologise.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
My job/training is not as glamorous as to be able to allow me to satisfy all of the million concerns. Whilst I am not doubting your intellect, I doubt you could achieve this either.

... but you seem to think that our government is going to be able to do that!
You're right to avoid trying to answer the question. There is no answer.
The theory you expound is logical (if in my opinion not sensible) but the implementation is going to frustrate over half the population. Maybe that might be worth you thinking about....

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
I think it was clear, 52% want out. :shrug:

Want out? The best spin that you can possibly put on the result is that 52pc *wanted* out, during a specific 24-hour period in June 2016. Since when, 1.5m British citizens have died, and just over 2m have turned 18 - a churn in the electorate of nearly 4m, approaching 10pc.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Brexit - a lunchtime conundrum

In an office there are 112 people. It is decided that they will all have a vote of what to have for lunch.
12 people are deliberately excluded from the vote because they are vegetarians, but will nevertheless have to put up with the lunch chosen and eat it.
52 people vote to get lunch from McDonalds. 48 people vote to get a bargain bucket from KFC.
It is therefore decided that lunch will be bought at McDonalds.

Of those 52, the motive to get lunch from McDonalds is based on the following wants of a meal;
- 15 want a Big Mac, fries and a Coke
- 10 want a Big Mac, fries and a milkshake
- 8 want a Filet o'Fish, fries & a Coke
- 7 want a Big Mac, salad and a Coke
- 7 want a Big Mac, salad and a milkshake
- 5 want a Filet o'Fish, salad and a Coke

15 people can therefore be said to want a Big Mac, fries & a coke from McDonalds for lunch. The other 97 people in the office do not want this. However they all now have to eat this lunch because to go against this would apparently be a betrayal of office democracy. This is in spite of the fact 12 are vegetarians, 14 cannot eat beef for religious reasons and 60 don't actually like Big Macs at all.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

In an office there are 112 people. It is decided that they will all have a vote of what to have for lunch.
12 people are deliberately excluded from the vote because they are vegetarians, but will nevertheless have to put up with the lunch chosen and eat it.
52 people vote to get lunch from McDonalds. 48 people vote to get a bargain bucket from KFC.

Of those 52, the motive to get lunch from McDonalds is based on the following wants of a meal;

15 people can therefore be said to want a Big Mac, fries & a coke from McDonalds for lunch. The other 97 people in the office do not want this. However they all now have to eat this lunch because to go against this would apparently be a betrayal of office democracy. This is in spite of the fact 12 are vegetarians, 14 cannot eat beef for religious reasons and 60 don't actually like Big Macs at all.
But in the end they go for *No Meal* and starve.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
But in the end they go for *No Meal* and starve.

Because ultimately they realised it was a stupid idea but couldn't admit to it, so instead simply marked it as "too difficult" and hoped they could get away with it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Want out? The best spin that you can possibly put on the result is that 52pc *wanted* out, during a specific 24-hour period in June 2016. Since when, 1.5m British citizens have died, and just over 2m have turned 18 - a churn in the electorate of nearly 4m, approaching 10pc.

@RemainerNow on Twitter has 30.4K followers. People who have realised they were conned and lied to.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Quite a few voted McDonalds because they were told they would get a 100 monopoly promotion stickers the moment their meal arrived and carrot sticks would be kicked off the menu.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jul/29/tories-facebook-ads-bugs-transparency-dark-money

“The ads are a bit of a mixed bag in terms of what they’re trying to get people to do,” said online advertising campaign group Who Targets Me. “On one hand, they’re video ads designed to persuade and motivate. But at the same time you’re also asked to click through and fill out a survey.

“The Brexit party, still the overall highest political spender on Facebook over the last month, [appears to] have spent £0 [on Facebook] since Johnson became PM.”

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I can't be arsed to check through the previous several thousand posts to see if it's already been mentioned, but I would highly recommend watching on Netflix the film documentary called "The Great Hack".
It focuses on Cambridge Analytica's influence on the Trump and Brexit campaigns.
They clearly made the difference in the result, learning from the same pioneering tactics used for the successful Obama campaign.

They identified all the 'persuadable' voters who could be influenced to go and vote.
For any Brexit supporting Leave voters I accept that Bannon and Farage were ahead of the game with their tactics.
However what is patently clear in our new digital world is that there can never be a fair election again that isn't influenced by fake news being sent to identified people who will believe it.
I enjoy using Facebook, but it's very clear that it's been used as the main vehicle of mis-information, yet I still use it.
Basically we're f*cked and I think Carole Cadwallader should get some sort of super hero award for continuing to battle for the sake of good over evil.
Every voter should watch the film to understand how they have been dishonestly influenced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here