Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] On now: Champions League Live from Shropshire

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Those were halcyon days of football, when listening to games on the radio were priceless, compared to todays saturated coverage.

You say halcyon days, but the year they (last?) won it, it was an utterly shit final. RSB turned up against a classic Marseilles team (the team of Jean-Pierre Papin, Abedi Pele, Chris Waddle, etc) and played for penalties from the first minute. Shame really, as they had some great players too (Prosinecki, Pancev, Savicevic).

I was in the south of France on a school trip when that was on, and the locals were devastated.

Total Network Solutions [TNS] of the Welsh league are a bit like Celtic....
They had to change their name several years ago to a non-commercial one, so they chose the lame 'The New Saints' in the hope that the media would continue to refer to them as TNS. The BBC duly obliged last night in the caption on their website stream, although there were only 1250 logged on when I joined them, so hardly a publicity coup!

Last edited:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Total Network Solutions [TNS] of the Welsh league are a bit like Celtic in Scotland - they qualify for Champions league football every season pretty much unopposed, and have been doing so for years.

Big difference being that Celtic are by far the biggest club in their league (or you could say jointly so with Rangers, won't get into that debate). Whereas by most measures the majority of WPL clubs are probably bigger than TNS. I miss their old ground, it was scenic as ****:

p1219342083-11.jpg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, I think it was CSKA Moscow; the Red Army was that of the USSR. The Yugoslav army was non-aligned, e.g. it wasn't part of the Warsaw Pact.
Tito's red army then, pretty sure Yugoslavia ran its sports generally in a similar way to the Soviet Union.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You say halcyon days, but the year they (last?) won it, it was an utterly shit final. RSB turned up against a classic Marseilles team (the team of Jean-Pierre Papin, Abedi Pele, Chris Waddle, etc) and played for penalties from the first minute. Shame really, as they had some great players too (Prosinecki, Pancev, Savicevic).

I was in the south of France on a school trip when that was on, and the locals were devastated.

Agree with that Edna :)
As I said earlier, when you're listening to to the commentators on the radio trying to pronounce the RSB names etc
You would get this idea of the eastern bloc players with a certain panache, trying to outwit their western pampered counterparts.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham

Especially after RSB dramatic last minute winner v Bayern in the semi final.

TNS were cruising 2-0 until the 89th minute and drew 2-2.
In tonight's second leg in Kosovo however, they managed to pull this off...

Screenshot_20190716-214122.png

I've only today discovered that Oswestry Town have merged with the New Saints from across the border

Share same ground, but still separate clubs I think :- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.C._Oswestry_Town
Oswestry Town actually merged with Total Network Solutions back in 2003, playing at Oswestry's ground. FC Oswestry Town weren't formed until ten years later but, as you say, share the same ground.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here