Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Non-milk milk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I am genuinely interested as to the background behind these choices.

Lactose intolerance/genuine dietary rationale is a real PITA so you guys have my sympathies.

Converting to veganism because of family members and therefore convenience over individual beliefs is questionable IMO.

A desire to be more humane to animals is laudable but not for me - just pay more for sustainable and humanly collected milks.

I’m astonished we survived as a species without oat/soy/almond versions for so long

My lame excuse is exploring alternatives to minimise the environmental impact. You might be astonished to find that we survived as a species without cows milk for a lot longer than we have done with it.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
My son has recently gone vegan so have been buying him various different milks - almond, oat, soya, hemp. Most are available in sweetened or unsweetened versions and as fresh (chilled) or long life.

His favourite is chilled unsweetened oat.

I have skimmed milk in my tea and whilst all the milk-alikes taste a bit different I could cope with unsweetened oat and soya but found hemp too "nutty" and almond a bit sickly.

Don't suppose your boy approves of your choice of a fine looking Highland Coo as your avatar!

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
My lame excuse is exploring alternatives to minimise the environmental impact. You might be astonished to find that we survived as a species without cows milk for a lot longer than we have done with it.

I think I knew that already actually but I Bloody love the stuff!

Now sadly if you’re drinking soy milk you’re kidding yourself about lesser environmental impact - deforestation, incredibly poor wage to producers, massively high food miles and energetically wasteful processing - to name just a few issues.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Now sadly if you’re drinking soy milk you’re kidding yourself about lesser environmental impact - deforestation, incredibly poor wage to producers, massively high food miles and energetically wasteful processing - to name just a few issues.

I think you're wrong on soya milk, but it's not something that I touch. Refer to post 9 of this thread for (some of) my habits which, before you point it out, I acknowledge are deeply flawed.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I think you're wrong on soya milk, but it's not something that I touch. Refer to post 9 of this thread for (some of) my habits which, before you point it out, I acknowledge are deeply flawed.

Stats show you may be right about energetically wasteful production [cow’s milk uses 3 to 4 times more water] but the other issues are incredibly real. For example UK manufacturing of soy milk uses 50% soy beans imported from Brazil and 30-40% from Middle East/Eastern Europe.

Re post #9 I like your thinking which seems measured and fair.

I guess overall my concern like any modern construct is the prevalence of confirmation bias in decision making processes and general ignorance and misconceptions.

Do it for health reasons or ethical reasons sure but don’t because you think it’s more sustainable or environmentally friendly because there’s always likely to be a quid pro quo.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

I had a quick look and found one report that says most soybeans are used for animal feed. So in a roundabout way drinking cows’ milk may use more soybeans than drinking soy milk. I’d need to research this more to see if this really is the case.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I can imagine a Newcastle fan looking at NSC for the first time and seeing this thread.

Look at those soft Southerners discussing almond milk.......:lolol:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
In the office at work there are vegans and vegetarians, so the fridge has up to 6 different types of milk, so the brewing up round is a nightmare! Add to that all the fruit teas/'infusions', then teabag left in/out and it does my head in. Almost into spreadsheet territory - or perhaps Alexa would know. 'When I was a boy' as brew-boy in a builders yard it was much easier - a huge teapot, one tea bag per person plus one for the pot. And never wash out the teapot! Fortunately, coffee still comes out of a jar by spoon, even though there are two types. If they ever get a coffee machine and all that faffing about, then I will retire.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Stats show you may be right about energetically wasteful production [cow’s milk uses 3 to 4 times more water] but the other issues are incredibly real. For example UK manufacturing of soy milk uses 50% soy beans imported from Brazil and 30-40% from Middle East/Eastern Europe.

Re post #9 I like your thinking which seems measured and fair.

I guess overall my concern like any modern construct is the prevalence of confirmation bias in decision making processes and general ignorance and misconceptions.

Do it for health reasons or ethical reasons sure but don’t because you think it’s more sustainable or environmentally friendly because there’s always likely to be a quid pro quo.

I'm rarely described as measured and fair, and am not entirely sure I like the description!
I will disagree on your last point, though. It just is the case that certain foods (and certain behaviours, eg flying, turning up your thermostat, driving too much) have a more detrimental environmental impact than others. The notion that they're all as bad as each other is deeply problematic, whether applied to foodstuffs or politicians.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm rarely described as measured and fair, and am not entirely sure I like the description!
I will disagree on your last point, though. It just is the case that certain foods (and certain behaviours, eg flying, turning up your thermostat, driving too much) have a more detrimental environmental impact than others. The notion that they're all as bad as each other is deeply problematic, whether applied to foodstuffs or politicians.

Agreed: just imagine if we applied the same notion to football clubs. (Although, actually...………)

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46654042

Interesting data on the environmental impact of milk and non-milk. Pretty much vindicates the decision of those who switch to the latter on environmental grounds.

Whilst I take on board the general theme I’m not sure ‘land use’ as a measure of environmental impact is in the same spirit as water consumption or emissions. The article is perhaps a poor representation of the scientific study conclusions which I will read with interest.

For anyone interested:

https://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:b...d+Manuscript.pdf&type_of_work=Journal+article

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here