Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Sian Massey

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I guarantee you this thread would have existed regardless of who was running the line. The fact is she made an incorrect decision in the last minute of a very tight game. That is going to generate comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really ? Care to point me to the threads started on here that name and shame specific male linos when they've made a mistake ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Really ? Care to point me to the threads started on here that name and shame specific male linos when they've made a mistake ?

Care to name the last time we had a legitimate winner ruled out in the last minute of extra time in an FA Cup Quarter Final?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
She made a mistake - she isn't the first lino to do so nor will she be the last. Yet we don't get threads stretching to nearly 80 posts naming a male lino that made a mistake in one of our games. The thread has happened because she is female.

It’s not 80 posts against Massey. One poster, not me, starts the thread, others jump in defending Massey with accusations of sexism and then these things take a life of their own. The nature of NSC and fora.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
All 3 main officials in the team were abject today.

Sian Massey-Ellis was part of this, so she deserves an amount of criticism that's in proportion to her errors. No more, no less.

Non-given penalties, Murray taken out before their 1st, a clear handball in the build-up to their 2nd, inconsistency with fouls and bookings.

And all that was before Locadia's winner was incorrectly ruled out.

These are currently the 4 top-ranked comments from the BBC's match summary.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47512116/comments?sortBy=HighestRating&sortOrder=Descending&filter=none#comments

"Another unbelievably poor game from the officials, which luckily this time didn't cost a team a place at Wembley like Swansea."

"Millwall did okay but, the officials were a disgrace."

"Brighton had to win that game 3 times due to some abysmal refereeing."

"Justice done after some shockingly biased refereeing from Chris Kavanaugh."

It's clear from the above that VAR has to come in asap.

This sums it up for me. I have taken the time to sleep on it but I have woken with the same sense of unease that I had late yesterday afternoon.There was a sense that a degree of underdog bias was being applied. Either that or a fear of their surroundings.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Ridiculous to single her out. She’s no worse than any other lino - in fact, better than a lot of them I think. Poor decision but I think the situation where a player is close to you and the man keeping him onside is a distance away are virtually impossible to judge accurately. How can you keep a check for the ball being kicked in a very noisy crowd, look at the guy right in front of you at that exact moment AND still have every defender in your field of vision?

The fault here was the ridiculous absence of VAR. Fortunately we got away with it - but we probably should have been playing Everton at Goodison anyway and Swansea in the semi.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ridiculous to single her out. She’s no worse than any other lino - in fact, better than a lot of them I think. Poor decision but I think the situation where a player is close to you and the man keeping him onside is a distance away are virtually impossible to judge accurately. How can you keep a check for the ball being kicked in a very noisy crowd, look at the guy right in front of you at that exact moment AND still have every defender in your field of vision?

The fault here was the ridiculous absence of VAR. Fortunately we got away with it - but we probably should have been playing Everton at Goodison anyway and Swansea in the semi.

Absolutely this. The fact it was at such a pivotal moment of the game is kind of irrelevant - she called it as she saw it. It was at pace and very marginal - nowhere near the worst of decisions.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I find her to be one of the better linos in the PL, honestly. Although today the whole lot of them were a disgrace.

I was about to say the same, I haven't seen yesterday's game yet (bad fan), but from what I have seen of Massey, she tends to be one of the better officials in the league.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Anyone that thinks that was an easy decision is deluded. if you see it again he's only marginally onside at the point the ball is played and moving fairly quickly. The player passing the ball forward is far enough away at enough of an angle that she cant see both players at the same time. Picking those out is no simple skill and the very best are going to call plenty of that sort of decision wrong

Absolutely this.

I thought it was offside, and i generally give us the benefit of the doubt in all offside calls :)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Care to name the last time we had a legitimate winner ruled out in the last minute of extra time in an FA Cup Quarter Final?

Rather irrelevent but the answer of couse is it's never happened before.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Match officials are just not good enough. Players have got much quicker and are more skillful and the standard of match officials has not improved at the same rate.

Martin Atkinson is more than 10 years older than Bruno! How can he expect to keep up with players 25 years younger than him?

As for VAR it's time for the FA to clamp down. If a Championship club can't be arsed to invest to make VAR available then they shouldn't be allowed to in the competition (or at least should have to play their ties away)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Rather irrelevent but the answer of couse is it's never happened before.

It's relevant to the size of thead :facepalm:

I started a thread after Leicester about how bad the male lino was. Smaller game, smaller mistake, smaller thread,

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If you want to debate a poor decision....

the hauling back of Duffy in the penalty area was the most blatant penalty I have seen for a long time.
In real time you could see the difficulty had in reaching the ball, it was like he was walking through treacle.

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
If you want to debate a poor decision....

the hauling back of Duffy in the penalty area was the most blatant penalty I have seen for a long time.
In real time you could see the difficulty had in reaching the ball, it was like he was walking through treacle.

Indeed - the offside decision was a really tricky call. The Duffy haul-back was unbelievably blatant. Then, to rub salt in the wound, the ref gives a pathetic free kick for a non-existent foul by one of our players at the next corner. As Jenas said, he'd probably made his mind up before he blew up. There was a LOT of inconsistent, poor refereeing yesterday - the offside decision by Massey wasn't in the same league.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
1. It wasn't the worst decision made yesterday

2. Whenever I have seen Massey officiate, she has done a very good job. She did make a clear mistake yesterday, but it's the first time I can remember her getting something badly wrong.

3. Those (few) suggesting that she is in her job, or is given positive treatment, because of her gender should take a long hard look at themselves.

4. We won FFS

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Indeed - the offside decision was a really tricky call. The Duffy haul-back was unbelievably blatant. Then, to rub salt in the wound, the ref gives a pathetic free kick for a non-existent foul by one of our players at the next corner. As Jenas said, he'd probably made his mind up before he blew up. There was a LOT of inconsistent, poor refereeing yesterday - the offside decision by Massey wasn't in the same league.

The rugby tackle on Murray before their first "goal" was a shocking miss as well.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
1. It wasn't the worst decision made yesterday

No, it wasn't. Far from it.

2. Whenever I have seen Massey officiate, she has done a very good job. She did make a clear mistake yesterday, but it's the first time I can remember her getting something badly wrong.

You haven't seen her often then, or your viewpoint at the stadium isn't a good one to judge from. She has been consistently dreadful at the Amex recently - getting offside calls wrong because she is too often not in line with play, and frankly guessing on throw-ins.

3. Those (few) suggesting that she is in her job, or is given positive treatment, because of her gender should take a long hard look at themselves.

I've had a look, and I'm still right. Best of luck to her, in her career, but the truth is she isn't very good.

4. We won FFS

We did, despite her error, and that is great, obviously. She is probably as pleased as we are, that we did.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here