[Albion] MOMO Self Harm / Suicide Challenge

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I don't understand what you mean.

He probably means he doesn't think it actually exists, and it just a stunt to show how gullible people are and how they will believe anything they read online.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Its funny how these things work isn't it. I read about this sometime ago and dismissed it as internet mumbo jumbo. I also read an article around that time (with links) about dark and blood splattered version of Pepper Pig (as a primary school teacher something i need to be aware of).

When reading this article I conflated the two stories and for a moment or two took it at face value. Then you ask the question, why would someone do that and why wouldn't youtube pull said videos when complained about (which they surely wood). It seems unbelievable that this could be allowed to happen.......... oh, turns out it sn't real. Well you know aside for the urban/internet myth kind of real.

Clearly we need to be vigilant out there. Not vigilant about dangerous conspiracies to harm our kids, vigilant about dangerous lies designed to increase advertising revenue that may have a knock on effect of harming our kids.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
There is a great website ThatsNonsense.com (Hoax Slayer and Snopes are also available)

Their verdict is that it is 90% hoax. They haven't been able to find actual evidence of any Peppa Pig video that has been hacked, and the hoax scare story is worse than the original.

https://www.thatsnonsense.com/is-the-momo-challenge-real-or-an-online-hoax-fact-check/

A friend of mine's kids have seen it while watching something on Youtube. It's real. There are some messed up people in this world.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
A friend of mine's kids have seen it while watching something on Youtube. It's real. There are some messed up people in this world.

Which is why my kids tablets are locked down, no internet access, other than Kids iPlayer. They're only little I don't want them to be disturbed by the filth you can find on NSC just yet :thumbsup:

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Which is why my kids tablets are locked down, no internet access, other than Kids iPlayer. They're only little I don't want them to be disturbed by the filth you can find on NSC just yet :thumbsup:

I don't think mine even know what a tablet is, although they are only 5 and 3. Plenty of people I know give their kids tablets at this age though.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

I think there’s 2 sides to it, the press is about a series of videos / instructions that apparently encourage suicide. I have no doubt that there are some videos out there where the scary face has been put into kids videos but that isn’t the same as what the press are referring to.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I don't think mine even know what a tablet is, although they are only 5 and 3. Plenty of people I know give their kids tablets at this age though.

I like your attitude, though you'll probably find that once the eldest has one you'll probably have to let the younger have one sooner than you'd like. :lolol:

As I said, my kids tablets are thoroughly locked down, they are basically just a way of them accessing CBBC and CBeebies, which don't have anything objectionable on them at all (though the app is a pain to get started) - my eldest loves Operation Ouch, and the younger one is currently obsessed with Peter Rabbit.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Really shows the lack of knowledge regarding the internet by people in positions of authority have. Reminds me of the American senate or something or other quizzing Zuckerberg about Facebook.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I like your attitude, though you'll probably find that once the eldest has one you'll probably have to let the younger have one sooner than you'd like. :lolol:

As I said, my kids tablets are thoroughly locked down, they are basically just a way of them accessing CBBC and CBeebies, which don't have anything objectionable on them at all (though the app is a pain to get started) - my eldest loves Operation Ouch, and the younger one is currently obsessed with Peter Rabbit.

Haha yeah I know what you mean. You're never quite as strict with the second one. My youngest regularly beats the living shit out of my eldest anyway.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
I agree, I am skeptical that this exists or is a thing. Same as that 'invisible' date rape drug that could be blown into someones face without them knowing

I assure you it definitely does exist - a girl in my sons class was told to get scissors and cut herself - luckily she only cut her hair, which then meant the parents noticed and asked her what she was doing - its definitely out there

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Its funny how these things work isn't it. I read about this sometime ago and dismissed it as internet mumbo jumbo. I also read an article around that time (with links) about dark and blood splattered version of Pepper Pig (as a primary school teacher something i need to be aware of).

When reading this article I conflated the two stories and for a moment or two took it at face value. Then you ask the question, why would someone do that and why wouldn't youtube pull said videos when complained about (which they surely wood). It seems unbelievable that this could be allowed to happen.......... oh, turns out it sn't real. Well you know aside for the urban/internet myth kind of real.

Clearly we need to be vigilant out there. Not vigilant about dangerous conspiracies to harm our kids, vigilant about dangerous lies designed to increase advertising revenue that may have a knock on effect of harming our kids.

Love your deliberate use of the wrong word.. you teachers are always trying to catch us out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here