Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Top 20 restaurants in Brighton...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Crab Shack presumably?

Went just before Christmas and really enjoyed it, even as a vegetarian.

Doesn't look like Little Fish Market caters for weirdos like me from what I can see from their website.

Set menu and every course includes .... surprisingly ...... fish/seafood. So it's a no for a true veggie.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Can't believe Plateau gets in to the twenty having eaten there once... . Other than that I have eaten once at the Chilli Pickle about 5 years back, all the others are unknown to me.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Haven't eaten out that often in Brighton but have been several times to Casa Don Carlos, surprised it's not on the list as it's always full and the foods great, although as I say, not been to many others, maybe there's better Tapas out there

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Running a kitchen in a pub is not the same as running a restaurant imo. Plus it's not that good.

Given the wrap across my knuckles you gave me in the Hot Chip thread.....did you get out of bed the wrong side today? :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Agreed. Plus I think it’s one of the most unfriendly pubs in Brighton

Really? That's odd, I have always found it to be the polar opposite - to the extent that a couple of the staff will say hello when passing them in the street (and I'm not even in there that much - once a fortnight, tops)

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Haven't eaten out that often in Brighton but have been several times to Casa Don Carlos, surprised it's not on the list as it's always full and the foods great, although as I say, not been to many others, maybe there's better Tapas out there

I love Casa Don Carlos, it has a great atmosphere, service is always friendly and the food is fine but not interesting or exciting - it is a fairly indetikit Tapas menu done pretty well. I suspect more people have had a great night out in CDC than will ever do so in somewhere like Isaac At which is much more self-conciously "foodie" but in terms of providing ambitious and technically accomplished cooking the IA's of this world will always beat CDC and that is a bit more what this list is about.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
4. Market (Used to be called Graze, its the same owner. Very Good)

Ahhh ..... I didn't realise that. Used to love the taster menu at Graze. If Market is anywhere near as good then well worth visiting.

Stumpy Tim

I've been to the majority of those, and most of them are good. Agree with everyone on the Little Fish Market. The biggest disappointment for me was Etch, which was really poor when we went there - happened to be my 10th anniversary, which was a shame. Trying to be too clever for the sake of it.

I used to love The Set too, but it's gone downhill a little. Probably should be lower on that list in my opinion.

64 Degrees, Murmur, Petis Pois, Riddle & Finns etc are all good. I also recomment Pabellon, which is pretty new. Finally, though I know most will disagree, The Ivy is worth visiting - more for the decor than the food. The food is not bad, but the restaurant is a good all-round experience.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Finally, though I know most will disagree, The Ivy is worth visiting - more for the decor than the food. The food is not bad, but the restaurant is a good all-round experience.

Totally agree. Been excellent every time I've been

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Finally, though I know most will disagree, The Ivy is worth visiting - more for the decor than the food. The food is not bad, but the restaurant is a good all-round experience.

Not sure I'd go to a restaurant for the decor.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here