Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Did Brighton and Hove Schools change their term dates?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Anyone know if these shifted? I booked a holiday in May 2018 for April 2019, during what I thought was Easter half term. Either they have changed the term dates or I have massively cocked up and face a huge fine.

Does anyone know if they changed the dates?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Anyone know if these shifted? I booked a holiday in May 2018 for April 2019, during what I thought was Easter half term. Either they have changed the term dates or I have massively cocked up and face a huge fine.

Does anyone know if they changed the dates?

A pedant (and teacher) writes that there is no such thing as Easter half term :D

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Depends where you are, where I am in Kent the kids go back the day after Easter Monday, as the schools have standardised the term lengths.

Indeed. And we have comprehensives and grammar schools but no secondary moderns. That one better than you mugs down in Brighton. :rave:

:rolleyes:

:shootself

smartferndale

Mar 21, 2013
You can not have grammar and comprehensive with any form of selection there cannot be comprehensive schooling.
Holidays kids can learn more on a week abroad than at the end of a term when a lot of time is used up with nativity plays or a sports day.

:shootself[/QUOTE]

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I wouldn’t panic just yet.

If the schools are anything like those around me you are able to apply for approved absences. We went on holiday a week early last year and let the school know and everything was fine.

The fine comes when you either don’t tell them or you take them once it has been declined. If you are already prepared to pay the fine then you may as well ask rather than risk calling them in sick each day

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

If the schools are anything like those around me you are able to apply for approved absences. We went on holiday a week early last year and let the school know and everything was fine.

The fine comes when you either don’t tell them or you take them once it has been declined. If you are already prepared to pay the fine then you may as well ask rather than risk calling them in sick each day

It’s very variable even per school in Brighton. Most parents ended being fined in our local Primary, whilst another family somehow got away with a trip to Australia (purely a holiday), with the head saying “you go with my blessing”.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

It’s a good point. However, my eldest has his SATS in May and our school “needs improvement “ in attendance according to OFFSTED. The fact that my eldest will fly through his SATS and they have had two days off between them this academic year will, I’m sure, make no difference in the eyes of the local authorities who dish out the fines.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I took one of my children out of school for a day a couple of years ago because it made the return costs considerably cheaper. School complained to me about what I was doing and said I would be fined. I pointed out it was cheaper to pay the fine and never heard anything else.

These rules really rile me. Two of my children go to Patcham High School - Christmas 2017/NY 2018 holdays there was a school ski-ing trip that ate into the first three days of the new term ..... strange that it wasn't a problem with the school. My step-daughter went to Blatch and the students on a business course there were offered a trip to New York to go and see how the US stock exchange worked. This was during term time and of course only the students that had parents that could afford the £2k could go. And of course they couldn't go to London to see this as it would mean the teachers wouldn't get a free international trip. The hypocracy of schools when it comes to absence due to holidays really is puke inducing. ALL parents that get these revenue raising 'fines' should just ignore them. The schools/councils couldn't cope with taking them all to court.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here