Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Next manager?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Nathan Jones or Liam Rosenior would be good in 5-10 years time when they’ve both had a bit more experience.

In the meantime, we’ve quite clearly taken a step back from last year. Here is why I believe it has happened:

1. The ambition and desire to develop (meaning new signings and a new system).
2. Form & fitness of Groß & Izquierdo (two of our best players from last season).
3. The new 4-3-3 system has not bedded in, no midfield 3 has really worked.
4. Our forward players from Holland are used to playing in a 4-3-3 but not a 4-4-1-1 which has been problematic in terms of switching back to last season’s formation.
5. Inconsistent wingers.

If we survive, CH needs to take a step back in the Premier League next season. The 4-4-1-1 must return.

He needs a midfield ‘two’ again. I’d go for Stephens & Bissouma with Kayal and a new signing (or U23) as back up.

We’ll also need a new Glenn Murray (Mitro) and a new Bruno. The £21m from Ajax for Pröpper should help cover these.

March, Knocky, Izzy & AJ should compete for the winger positions with the later hopefully finding form in his second season as is his way.

Groß & Mac Allister would be the first choice in the no.10 position but I think AJ & Andone could do a job.

A lot will depend on finding the new Glenn Murray, there are not many about that we could afford. Maybe Connelly of Gyökeres could step up?

What is essential is that we keep Mr Hughton. Binning off our best manager ever because we tried to gamble and improve on last year would be on par with letting Glenn Murray go to Palace.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Okay, Mullers is definitely there equal with CH as Albion’s best manager. Totally different kettle of fish mind - a case of good cop, bad cop with Mullery being the latter. I remember on two occasions when Mullers was so hacked off with the team’s first half performance that he sent them back out onto the pitch early. The first was when we were playing Walsall and it was 0-0, we won that 7-0! The second was when we were playing Millwall at the start of our season in Division Two. At halftime we were 2-0 down, back onto the field well before the restart. It worked, we won 3-2.

It remains to be seen whether Chris Hughton has that anger and motivation to fire up the team. We’ll find out around 9.40 pm on Tuesday night.

I was on holiday in Cornwall when we played that Walsall match. I heard the half-time score and then the result. Couldn't believe it and went to celebrate in the hotel with a few ales and strange Cornish concoctions such as rum and shrub and brandy and lovage!
Happy days.

Kman

Mar 30, 2019
Nathan Jones or Liam Rosenior would be good in 5-10 years time when they’ve both had a bit more experience.

In the meantime, we’ve quite clearly taken a step back from last year. Here is why I believe it has happened:

2. Form & fitness of Groß & Izquierdo (two of our best players from last season).
4. Our forward players from Holland are used to playing in a 4-3-3 but not a 4-4-1-1 which has been problematic in terms of switching back to last season’s formation.
5. Inconsistent wingers.

If we survive, CH needs to take a step back in the Premier League next season. The 4-4-1-1 must return.

He needs a midfield ‘two’ again. I’d go for Stephens & Bissouma with Kayal and a new signing (or U23) as back up.

We’ll also need a new Glenn Murray (Mitro) and a new Bruno. The £21m from Ajax for Pröpper should help cover these.

March, Knocky, Izzy & AJ should compete for the winger positions with the later hopefully finding form in his second season as is his way.

Groß & Mac Allister would be the first choice in the no.10 position but I think AJ & Andone could do a job.

A lot will depend on finding the new Glenn Murray, there are not many about that we could afford. Maybe Connelly of Gyökeres could step up?

What is essential is that we keep Mr Hughton. Binning off our best manager ever because we tried to gamble and improve on last year would be on par with letting Glenn Murray go to Palace.

Would actually like to see AJ in the no. 10 role. I think he could be great in that role as he lacks a bit of pace to be a winger.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

5. Inconsistent wingers.

Good post

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Rafa Benitez to take us to the next level.

He's out of contract in the summer, I think Tony Bloom should make a sneaky approach now, tell him what a lovely part of the country it is to live in and give him a bit of cash to play with. After Mike Ashley, Rafa would love a chairman like TB.

I'm still very angry about yesterday and have not commented on that 'performance'. I nearly got into a fight about wanting Hughton out this afternoon in the bookies! Well done to the guy near me yesterday who started chanting: "Your bruv's a c*nt and so are you, we're going down, without a clue" before leaving swiftly at 0-5. Very, very harsh I know but the game was EMBARASSING.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Comparing players and managers with different eras is impossible, but I agree. I don't think Hughton is the best manager we've ever had either, it's just been at one of the better periods in the clubs history.

That’s a bit like saying Bobby Zamora wasn’t one of our greatest ever goal scorers, he was just around when we were scoring a lot of goals...!

D

Deleted member 2719

He can't. We may win Tues, we may survive this season but Hughton will take us down if he's left in place. There's a reason we let go of Hemed, Baldock, Norwood.... All nice guys and decent pro's but they're just not up to or skilled enough at the top level.
It's no different with Hughton, his tactical tool box is what he has developed over the years, cautious, conservative, solid defence first.... It's served him and us well, but just like with Norwich before, you cannot simply try and defend your way through 38 games to safety in the PL. Look at Howe, Hassenhutl, Brendon Rogers.... These are modern thinkers with attacking/pressing teams with tactical flexibility that are so better suited to the PL than slow wooden safety first approach. We were lucky last year where Murray papered over the cracks and there were a few teams more shit than us, if we survive this year it is for the same reasons. Hughton is not capable in taking this club to mid table comfort or 45+ points a season.

Excellent post, just can not understand why some still think he can cut it at this level???
Perhaps they have a procrastination attitude to life.:shrug:

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Bring back Gus since the ceiling is clearly a bit higher than when he left?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
What were the issues Norwich had, were they the same, overly defensive and miss firing team?

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Not sure if it’s the best for the Albion but I now have a feeling that regardless of how this season ends,CH will not be here next season.I thinkTB will get him to resign and he will go with thanks for his past efforts.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Me too, still angry. But as you say, onwards and upwards, it can't be any worse than Saturday can it? Our biggest game since Hereford away tomorrow.

It's Monday, I am still unhappy, but I am now concentrating on Tuesday and hope we can get a result.
It's all that matters for the next 48 hours.
Tomorrow is serious stuff.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Me too, still angry. But as you say, onwards and upwards, it can't be any worse than Saturday can it? Our biggest game since Hereford away tomorrow.

In reality Hereford was by far a bigger game.At least you can come back from the championship lm never sure how we would have come back from defeat at Hereford.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Quite agree. But it is the biggest potential bollock drop since given what's at stake financially.

If we do go down I may be able to get tickets again as I'm sure attendances will drop 5k

In reality Hereford was by far a bigger game.At least you can come back from the championship lm never sure how we would have come back from defeat at Hereford.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here