Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Home secretary: 'Knife crime can't go on'

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Can't thing of an answer that is palatable to mention here , sorry .

I know what you're saying but you are talking about having them in custody. They need to be caught before custody.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
One post on this thread brought out her inadequacy to be a Home Secretary... ONE POST, and you have jumped on it as if this was what it is all about, which it isn't. Incidentally, having lived a mile or so from Stoke Newington, it is a pretty safe place, so I have a feeling you have no idea what you are talking about, other than to rant about people that find this particular politician a waste of space. She doesn't make the decisions, thank God, but you clearly have an agenda away from knife crime.

It was predictably inevitable that her name would come up on this thread for the purposes of point scoring, that's all. I don't have an agenda and I was just making the point that she's not my MP and has got nothing to do with me or my life, which you seem to have missed.

That said, I have met and spoken in person to my actual MP face to face - who just happens to have resigned due to her own actual inadequacies as Home Secretary, which also coincided with her presiding over doing **** all in regards to knife crime during her time in that brief.

So I guess if I have no idea what I'm talking about in regards to knife crime, neither does my MP and the former Home Secretary, so I'm in good company on that score.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And that is exactly what we did, tails between our legs. No thought of putting someones life at risk with a blade or a gun.

i think the more pertinent point was about communities and consequences. youth (and to be frank many adults) dont think there are consequences of their actions. doesnt matter you go out and stab someone, no one will tell you off, only fear is of gang retaliation. probably why sooner or later start to target non-gang members, "prove yourself" but no consequence. gangs in inner London estates are across broad backgrounds these days, its just a culture of being in the local gang and thing escalate from there. this is from sister living in north London, have two nephews on the cusp of age that get involved. shes looking to move south soon...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It was predictably inevitable that her name would come up on this thread for the purposes of point scoring, that's all. I don't have an agenda and I was just making the point that she's not my MP and has got nothing to do with me or my life, which you seem to have missed.

That said, I have met and spoken in person to my actual MP face to face - who just happens to have resigned due to her own actual inadequacies as Home Secretary, which also coincided with her presiding over doing **** all in regards to knife crime during her time in that brief.

So I guess if I have no idea what I'm talking about in regards to knife crime, neither does my MP and the former Home Secretary, so I'm in good company on that score.

You really think Diane Abbott is your saviour, you have tried to make this thread all about her. READ THE THREAD HEADLINE. Not once did I mention Abbott or whoever the Home Secretary is now. I just opened a debate which you find obviously offensive because of the shadow Home Sec. The interview she had with Nick Ferrari was very interesting in so much as she had no idea about the party policy. For someone that high up in the opposition to get it so wrong was highly revealing. I am putting forward a totally different question. I am asking the Govt. Home Sec, what the hell are you going to do?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Being a sixties/seventies kid, we had all that in abundance, and more, we didn't go out with weapons.

The homicide rate in the UK actually fell below the rate it was in the mid70s by 2011. Our actual homicide rate per capita has actually been a slightly dropping trend since the 60/70s.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Here in HA4, it's been relatively quiet, but in the last few months, there have been two stabbings in the area, close to a tube station.
It is a known fact that a certain percentage of knife crimes are the result of these people using the tube network to travel to their intended victims.
More security on the rail networks / stations could be an answer, or even drastic methods of metal detectors.

A local high end jewellers was always getting turned over.
It turned out it was fiends from the eastend travelling by tube, then committing the crime.
Now they have heavy duty brick out houses on the door, invite only.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The homicide rate in the UK actually fell below the rate it was in the mid70s by 2011. Our actual homicide rate per capita has actually been a slightly dropping trend since the 60/70s.

Interesting, I didn't feel the danger back then that we see now.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Interesting, I didn't feel the danger back then that we see now.

You didn't have:
Multiple 24 hour news channels
Twitter
Facebook
Blogs
Global news feeds

You had:
2 TV channels
A handful of newspapers

Violent crime would have largely gone unreported. An individual stabbing unlikely to have made the national news.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
You really think Diane Abbott is your saviour, you have tried to make this thread all about her. READ THE THREAD HEADLINE. Not once did I mention Abbott or whoever the Home Secretary is now. I just opened a debate which you find obviously offensive because of the shadow Home Sec. The interview she had with Nick Ferrari was very interesting in so much as she had no idea about the party policy. For someone that high up in the opposition to get it so wrong was highly revealing. I am putting forward a totally different question. I am asking the Govt. Home Sec, what the hell are you going to do?

I don't and I wasn't the one who brought her name into the thread anymore than you did. Nor did I accuse you personally of doing so, because you didn't.

Back on topic and in answer to your question at the end there - nothing. His useless predecessor as Home Secretary didn't have a clue on knife crime, so why would he? He doesn't even know how many migrants have made landfall in Kent.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You didn't have:
Multiple 24 hour news channels
Twitter
Facebook
Blogs
Global news feeds

You had:
2 TV channels
A handful of newspapers

Violent crime would have largely gone unreported. An individual stabbing unlikely to have made the national news.

Good points. I still felt safer back then, but as you say we had no instant news.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh please, that was a rather classic interview with an inept politician that did not have a clue about their job. To actually bring your quote into the thread is quite frankly ridiculous. To also point out white, middle aged men can also be seen as racist, oh it can't because we are white and middle aged, that isn't racist. What if I were black and middle aged and you'd used that as your quote instead? Oh, yeah that would be racist. This is about knife crime, NOT race. Stop being a fool.
Hear hear. That Dianne Abbott interview was comedy gold. True, it doesn't provide an answer to knife crime, but that just unfortunately indicates that as a potential Home Secretary if Labour get in, Abbott would be a disaster. Unfortunately, the other lot aren't any more competent. They just think it's wonderful that they've cut costs on policing - the cost-cutting obsessed b******s have probably factored in the savings on Universal Credit if enough young men kill each other, preferably at a young age before they have started breeding other recipients of Universal Credit!

Are you having a Diane Abbott love in?
Oh p-e-r-l-e-a-s-e .................... I haven't digested all my breakfast yet!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Good points. I still felt safer back then, but as you say we had no instant news.

News cycles are dangerous things for skewing arguments.

It wasn't that long ago we seemed to have a cyclist dying every day on the road, terrifying whenever you went out on your bike. A cycle accident or death hasn't been reported for ages - they're still happening of course, just not in the current news cycle (excuse the pun).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here