Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If the rumours are true that May has basically told people that she has to get her way or she's resigning it's testament to her staggering arrogance that she thought this would in any way, shape or form help her get her way.

"You're resigning, Theresa? Oh no. Surely not."

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Tusk will recommend that a the short extension will be granted conditional upon the Commons voting through the Withdrawal Agreement i.e. her deal. But will the Speaker let her put this to the Commons? Would the EU give a longer extension if it doesn't go through?
It's looking like we are back at Square 1: her deal or no deal OR (possibly) a longer extension. But Tusk was taking no questions so more might be known tomorrow when he will, after the meeting of the Council.

It gets messier with each passing hour...……………….

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The reasons they will not be admitted are true, but you can't also cite them as reasons for not wanting them to join if they are the very things that prevent them from joining. They are not fully secular, but neither are they a Religious state, but if and when better alignment with western principles would allow them to join in the future, the argument to not want them join because they are not aligned with western principles would be gone.
The Geographic argument is not something I have considered much, but what would do with Cyprus?

Islands have a special status - Half of Turkey is closer to Brussels than Cyprus, while the Canary Islands that lie in the Atlantic off the west coast of Morocco are also in the EU. Personally, I think you stick with the land masses and the Urals as the natural limits of EU territory.

If Turkey were to be admitted it could be good news for Cyprus and the commercial unification of that island, much like Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. Indeed, Turkey would get much goodwill in the EU if it worked with Greece to integrate the full island of Cyprus.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If the rumours are true that May has basically told people that she has to get her way or she's resigning it's testament to her staggering arrogance that she thought this would in any way, shape or form help her get her way.

Any normal Prime Minister would have resigned after suffering one or two humiliations, not our Mrs May, I think she is too thick to realise how useless she is. MP's are apparently manoeuvring behind the scenes to form alliances and groups to contest the upcoming leadership battle and she pretends not to notice ! No chance of a resignation, she limps on like a zombie.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I think there has to be a degree of 'careful what you wish for'.

She is proper shitehouse but, unbelievably, she might just might still be the least shitehouse of all the possible candidates.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I see the Irish Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has just confirmed May will be making a statement to the British public at 8pm tonight.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I see the Irish Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has just confirmed May will be making a statement to the British public at 8pm tonight.

Don't expect much other than to confirm " Brexit means Brexit " and that she will be doing everything in her power to get us over the cliff edge before the end of June despite all common sense and logic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't expect much other than to confirm " Brexit means Brexit " and that she will be doing everything in her power to get us over the cliff edge before the end of June despite all common sense and logic.
I've seen a retracted rumour that she's going to announce yet another General Election.

Gotta be the least likely option on the table.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've seen a retracted rumour that she's going to announce yet another General Election.

Strong and stable :lolol:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Tusk didn't rule out a extraordinary European council next week if needed. Anything could happen now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My money is on yet another sore throat tonight.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Expect a cold, emotionless and heartless telling off from our worst ever Prime Minister.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If we can get ourselves into this sort of clusterf*** simply trying to agree a withdrawal by kicking the NI/Ireland can down the road for another 2 years, can you imagine what waits ahead for actually trying to negotiate a trade deal or when we have to find a solution for NI/Ireland in another 2 years.

This really is the easy bit.

If only someone could have seen this coming :facepalm:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
If we can get ourselves into this sort of clusterf*** simply trying to agree a withdrawal kicking the NI/Ireland can down the road for another 2 years, can you imagine what waits ahead for actually trying to negotiate a trade deal or when we have to find a solution for NI/Ireland in another 2 years.

Odds on a 'No Deal' Brexit slashed amid chaos in parliament

It's now as short as 7/2 that the UK leaves without a withdrawal agreement.

Just 24 hours ago, it was 7/1 that the UK leaves the EU on March 30th with no withdrawal agreement in place. Since then, bookmakers have decisively slashed the odds into 7/2.

In the last 24 hours, a whopping 87% of total bets have gone on the UK to leave in ten days’ time with no agreement.

How's Meg doing? ???

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Just as the party was starting to turn flat, Donald Tusk turns up with a party 7, does he not realise that the diminutive Bercow has already punted this down the road?

By legal default, on our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The EU have already said they will extent the deadline in the case of the a general election.

If they don't vote for May's deal and there is still no support of hard brexit - that's where we are heading.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If we can get ourselves into this sort of clusterf*** simply trying to agree a withdrawal by kicking the NI/Ireland can down the road for another 2 years, can you imagine what waits ahead for actually trying to negotiate a trade deal or when we have to find a solution for NI/Ireland in another 2 years.

This really is the easy bit.

This 'bright spark' rang LBC today with the answer. I kid you not.

[tweet]1108360187692359680[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here