Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I completed the Barcelona marathon on Sunday, hadn't felt great leading up to the race, but on the sunday morning I felt ok and thought I would just go for it. Really struggled from 15 miles and stopped for a couple of minutes near mile 18. Managed a pb with a time of 4-15-15 which I am really pleased with.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Did you wear your Brighton top? I was chatting to a guy from Essex, I was in the blue and white stripes!

I completed the Barcelona marathon on Sunday, hadn't felt great leading up to the race, but on the sunday morning I felt ok and thought I would just go for it. Really struggled from 15 miles and stopped for a couple of minutes near mile 18. Managed a pb with a time of 4-15-15 which I am really pleased with.

Well done! Yes that was me.

You must be 'Wood 40'.

Good to see you pb'd.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Great running [MENTION=15377]Nathan[/MENTION] ! Well done on the PB!! I heard it was a hot day.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yesterdays 4 x 1 mile sprints around the Level were a lot of fun... 6:13, 6:31, 6:25, 6:31. The weather was as expected, windy and dribbly rain. I got in just before the rainstorm though, so at least there's that. Another 7 mile recovery run at 8 minutes per at lunch time today and it's looking far nicer outside today than it has been for a while. Probably horrendously windy still, but we'll see.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yesterdays 4 x 1 mile sprints around the Level were a lot of fun... 6:13, 6:31, 6:25, 6:31. The weather was as expected, windy and dribbly rain. I got in just before the rainstorm though, so at least there's that. Another 7 mile recovery run at 8 minutes per at lunch time today and it's looking far nicer outside today than it has been for a while. Probably horrendously windy still, but we'll see.

You're putting in some good efforts lately.
Easy week for me as I have an Arena AG race at the Prom Saturday. Giving my aged legs a bit of a breather from the recent high mileage and I've decided they aren't in suitable condition for pre race mid week intervals. I'll just do a few strides tomorrow and see what happens on Saturday.
Will be very happy to get a windy sub 21 at this stage of the year.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Just realised the FA Cup semi finals are the weekend of April 6th/7th when I'll be in Manchester for the marathon. Damn it! :tantrum:

You don't have to do the marathon, I'm happy to keep top spot in the table :lolol:

The 5k I'm doing this Sunday starts 15 minutes after kick-off. I'm hoping to make it to the pub for the second half.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The clocks changed here last weekend. As an evening runner, I love it. Last night was my first daylight evening run since October. It makes such a difference to how I feel on my run, especially when the sun is out.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So, I was very wrong about the wind. But it didn't stop me running the 7 miles in 7:57 per, although a much quicker final mile did most of the work in balancing it out. Plenty of hills as per standard, and a different route taking in the sights and sounds of Bevendean and Jacob's Ladder. Marvellous!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I was hoping that the wind might have died down a little bit by today, but clearly not. Running down Ditchling Road toward Coldean Lane was as bad as it was on sunday, but this time I was having to run with all my weight on my left hand side to counter the effect of the crazy wind. Once I was heading back down toward Patcham, all was well. Ultimately, it was a 10 mile run in 7:37 per mile. My target pace today was 7:40, and I was about 90 seconds down after 4 miles, which was all of Ditchling Road from the Pavilion. It all balanced out in the end and the second half was about 90 seconds quicker than the first half. I'm starting to crank up the pace a little bit now, in theory it should be far fewer hills but I really can't resist them and it's very tough to avoid all of them, given most of my runs start from work in central Brighton.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
At least you can run [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION], I'm finding just walking hard work at the moment! :lolol:

In all seriousness, I haven't felt this out of shape in some years, and I suspect it'll be some time before I recover. It all stems from the operation of course, and I'm still healing from that to a small extent. I need to step back and get into good habits with regards to eating and stretching, and then (once my foot stops aching) start running like I'm a novice again. I should probably also get into the habit of swimming and getting on the exercise bike regularly again, as the cross-training will help build up the strength that is plainly absent from my legs back into them again.

I wouldn't expect me to be troubling the leaderboard for parkrun anytime soon...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
At least you can run [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION], I'm finding just walking hard work at the moment! :lolol:

In all seriousness, I haven't felt this out of shape in some years, and I suspect it'll be some time before I recover. It all stems from the operation of course, and I'm still healing from that to a small extent. I need to step back and get into good habits with regards to eating and stretching, and then (once my foot stops aching) start running like I'm a novice again. I should probably also get into the habit of swimming and getting on the exercise bike regularly again, as the cross-training will help build up the strength that is plainly absent from my legs back into them again.

I wouldn't expect me to be troubling the leaderboard for parkrun anytime soon...

Form is temporary, class is permanent. You'll be back - and with a vengeance. :thumbsup:

Swimming is definitely a good way back in, shorter term. I've been back in the pool the last couple of weeks and I think that, even just once a week and starting slowly, it does add a lot of value. 8 weeks ago I was absolutely nowhere with my running, now here we are - 10kgs lighter and flying.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Best of luck with the recovery. I would second (after Ninja) swimming for building up fitness and stamina. Dull as hell (IMO), but it does the job when you are unable to be out pounding the streets.

I'm guessing it won't take too long for it all to fall back into place for you...

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Form is temporary, class is permanent. You'll be back - and with a vengeance. :thumbsup:

Swimming is definitely a good way back in, shorter term. I've been back in the pool the last couple of weeks and I think that, even just once a week and starting slowly, it does add a lot of value. 8 weeks ago I was absolutely nowhere with my running, now here we are - 10kgs lighter and flying.

Best of luck with the recovery. I would second (after Ninja) swimming for building up fitness and stamina. Dull as hell (IMO), but it does the job when you are unable to be out pounding the streets.

I'm guessing it won't take too long for it all to fall back into place for you...

Cheers chaps. Swimming isn't problematic for me, before I got married (and started running) I lived very close to the Spectrum Centre and used to go swimming at least a couple of times a week - and often for over an hour! I find it quite meditative as I can just switch off and go with my natural swimming rhythm.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

If you can get access to a Watt bike, I would highly recommend getting on it.

I have heel bursitis so have been using indoor (and outdoor) cycling to compensate for running.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cheers chaps. Swimming isn't problematic for me, before I got married (and started running) I lived very close to the Spectrum Centre and used to go swimming at least a couple of times a week - and often for over an hour! I find it quite meditative as I can just switch off and go with my natural swimming rhythm.

Same here and swimming makes me look like Tarzan whilst running makes me look like an anorexic Gollum or ET.
God knows why I concentrate on running, if it wasn't for chlorine in local pools I would Swim much more.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Another glorious swim for me this morning but I'm not very quick - 12 lengths in 11:10 and then another 12 in 11:29. My technique isn't overly strong, I'm not fond of putting my head under water. No childhood traumas or anything like that, I just can't do it. At some point I'm going to take swimming lessons to improve my technique but for the time being I'm just going to keep plodding away in the slow lane. The fast lanes had 6/7 people each, but the slow lanes had 2/3 each which is ideal. 30 lengths in total, as per my current plan which builds up week by week.

50something miles in the tank this week so far, with 2 x 15 minutes hard and fast tomorrow (might be my first non-parkrunning saturday of 2019) and then 15 miles on sunday with a 7:45 per mile target. Bring the pace!

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Another glorious swim for me this morning but I'm not very quick - 12 lengths in 11:10 and then another 12 in 11:29. My technique isn't overly strong, I'm not fond of putting my head under water. No childhood traumas or anything like that, I just can't do it. At some point I'm going to take swimming lessons to improve my technique but for the time being I'm just going to keep plodding away in the slow lane. The fast lanes had 6/7 people each, but the slow lanes had 2/3 each which is ideal. 30 lengths in total, as per my current plan which builds up week by week.

50something miles in the tank this week so far, with 2 x 15 minutes hard and fast tomorrow (might be my first non-parkrunning saturday of 2019) and then 15 miles on sunday with a 7:45 per mile target. Bring the pace!

I set myself a target last year of improving my swimming (specifically front crawl) from shit to ok-ish.

One of my friends recommended a bunch of videos, which helped, but the best thing I did was spend 20 minutes with a swim coach. I'd get some coaching before adding in the distances.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
https://blog.strava.com/gene-dykes-marathon-world-record-run-17459/?$web_only=true

Quite incredible that a 70 year old can run at 6:39 pace for a marathon.

Is this an old school friend of yours? [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here