Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber on TV Deal.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I think No 8 is questionable (have Amex attendances been lower when we are on telly to which our CEO replied no). Monday looked very sparse. Of course he has the numbers which are not published.
Unfortunately the attendance figure relates to tickets sold, including season tickets of course. If clubs had to announce the number of people through the gates on such occasions I think there would be a difference of several thousand.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
On this occasion, watching people trying to stick up for Barber is like watching people doing the same for Cameron and his EU reform.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Overall PB is an asset to our club, on this topic he should have taken far longer to think through his answers, sought advice from others, or better still not taken the post with the League. He comes across as total capitalist, which if you are a Tory MP is expected, but as the operational head of a COMMUNITY football club is thoughtless to say the least.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
SKY pay top dollar for the BEST games in whatever League they cover so if you're top or challenging you're going to be on the TV more than a team stuck in mid table mediocrity, always been that way so why the moaning I don't know.

:lolol:

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Unfortunately the attendance figure relates to tickets sold, including season tickets of course. If clubs had to announce the number of people through the gates on such occasions I think there would be a difference of several thousand.

Why do you say unfortunately? Tickets sold is tickets sold. If they don't subsequently turn up so what? I really don't get this obsession with pretendance. I seriously considered buying a season ticket as a pensioner but also an ex-pat. The price is something I would hardly miss and would probably turn up 2 or 3 times a year. I figured I would be helping my club and saying thank you to Tony Bloom .
Like I said, I don't get it.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Why do you say unfortunately? Tickets sold is tickets sold. If they don't subsequently turn up so what? I really don't get this obsession with pretendance. I seriously considered buying a season ticket as a pensioner but also an ex-pat. The price is something I would hardly miss and would probably turn up 2 or 3 times a year. I figured I would be helping my club and saying thank you to Tony Bloom .
Because I don't see the point in clubs reading out the attendance figure if it is miles off the number of people in the stadium. The club knows their revenue from ticket sales - I am interested in how many people are there.

It would also allow us to roughly calculate how much the club has 'made' from being on TV. If there are 6 or 7 thousand fewer people in the stadium, one would imagine that revenues would be down by £60-70k based on an average £10 per fan. Leeds obviously believe they are losing out from being on TV so much.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It's quite easy to get.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
It's quite easy to get.

Because I don't see the point in clubs reading out the attendance figure if it is miles off the number of people in the stadium. The club knows their revenue from ticket sales - I am interested in how many people are there.

It would also allow us to roughly calculate how much the club has 'made' from being on TV. If there are 6 or 7 thousand fewer people in the stadium, one would imagine that revenues would be down by £60-70k based on an average £10 per fan. Leeds obviously believe they are losing out from being on TV so much.

OK I see your point but it seems to me that you have a problem with the announcement of the attendance based on tickets sold and the club thanking you for attending.
I recall an Easter Weekend fixture when we were rammed into the East Stand and the announcer said the attendance was 22,000 or something equally silly. This was back in the 70's and cash on the gate. The ground capacity was about 33,000 at that time and there was no way any more could have got in.
I repeat Herr Tubthumper, I don't get it. I have had a drink but what am I missing?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I repeat Herr Tubthumper, I don't get it. I have had a drink but what am I missing?

Im enjoying a nice Cab Sav myself :thumbsup:

To be honest it's not a big deal to me. But at best I find it daft, at worse it's another manifestation of the nonsense and spin we have to put up with these days. And let's be clear, the club state it's the attendance.....but it clearly isn't. Why don't they say "The total tickets sold for today's game is....."?

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
OK I see your point but it seems to me that you have a problem with the announcement of the attendance and the club thanking you for attending.
I recall an Easter Weekend fixture when we were rammed into the East Stand and the announcer said the attendance was 22,000 or something equally silly. This was back in the 70's and cash on the gate. The ground capacity was about 33,000 at that time and there was no way any more could have got in.
I don't have a problem with the club thanking us for attending - I think they should. I suppose I could turn the tables and ask you and HT why you wouldn"t want to know the actual attendance? If someone is going to report facts and figures, I want them to be accurate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't have a problem with the club thanking us for attending - I think they should. I suppose I could turn the tables and ask you and HT why you wouldn"t want to know the actual attendance? If someone is going to report facts and figures, I want them to be accurate.

Im in the real attendance camp. I do want the real attendance.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014

Yes I was a fan of pedants corner when I subscribed to Private Eye and can see where you are coming from. Perhaps an e-mail to the club to ask them to announce "Todays attendance is …" but I am not sure it would be that easy? They will know instantly, from computers, how many tickets were sold but on my infrequent visits to the Amex (did I say I am an ex-pat?) I do not remember clocking in anywhere.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Yes I was a fan of pedants corner when I subscribed to Private Eye and can see where you are coming from. Perhaps an e-mail to the club to ask them to announce "Todays attendance is …" but I am not sure it would be that easy? They will know instantly, from computers, how many tickets were sold but on my infrequent visits to the Amex (did I say I am an ex-pat?) I do not remember clocking in anywhere.
The smart card tickets will tell them how many people are actually there.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
The smart card tickets will tell them how many people are actually there.

Yeah? I have never had a smart card but have either bought online or at the stadium before the game. Haven't had to swipe a bar code just shown the ticket to a steward. Just saying.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yeah? I have never had a smart card but have either bought online or at the stadium before the game. Haven't had to swipe a bar code just shown the ticket to a steward. Just saying.

The 'gates' only open when the barcode is scanned?

The whole item from Paul Barber comes across as a pat on the head, and 'there there, we understand'. But we're not going to do anything about it because of money.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Im in the real attendance camp. I do want the real attendance.

Why

We have gone from the understated attendance in the days of cash at the gate because the gateman frequently asked 2 people to go through at the same time to pocket some of the attendance money, to the tickets sold approach so there is no consistency in looking at attendance figures over the years.

Also given that there is no league rule on releasing the attendance, the club are free to use which ever method they prefer. Indeed if you look at some leagues you will always see the attendance in round figures which would give a clear indication that these are either rounded or estimates.

If all clubs changed from announcing or releasing crowd figures to releasing ticket revenue then whether people had actually attended would be irrelevant.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
The 'gates' only open when the barcode is scanned?

The whole item from Paul Barber comes across as a pat on the head, and 'there there, we understand'. But we're not going to do anything about it because of money.

You must be right but I do not remember swiping any bar codes. I am sure you know better than me because I am an infrequent visitor.

What I do disagree with you is your opinion of Paul Barber. It's very easy to slag people off but he has been elected by his peers to the Football League and was voted CEO of the year after he got rid of Gus at no cost to the club. Before that managers walked away with paid up contracts which is what Gus expected.

I think we are lucky to have him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here