Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Our next prime minister BBC 1

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
They would genuinely rather choose Johnson, who has repeatedly been sacked from jobs for lying for his own benefit and whose untruths have objectively harmed the country and its citizens, over someone who has actually contributed to the betterment of the UK. It's crazy. Many traditional Conservatives say they don't recognise their party anymore and I can see why.
I know. Some of my family have said he’s a Buffon but if he gets us out of the EU...? I despair, I really do. On that basis we might as well elect Ronald McDonald.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
He may do, and it’s incredible how many people in this country don’t like him because of the way he looks. I’ve been impressed by what he’s had to say since gaining a higher profile. Definitely better than the other four. Will he get a chance? No, in no small part because of the way he looks and the number of idiots who weight that more heavily than what he’s actually saying. We get the politicians we deserve as the old cliche goes and is it any wonder when people’s decision making is so vain.

Did I say "and he is therefore a twunt who must not get in"? I did not. I said he looks like Wallace. And he does.

If I was voting, I wouldn't vote for him because re Brexit, he is literally the continuity candidate. May's deal one more time anybody?

But actually I wouldn't vote for any of this shower. If I was voting, which I'm not.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Did I say "and he is therefore a twunt who must not get in"? I did not. I said he looks like Wallace. And he does.

If I was voting, I wouldn't vote for him because re Brexit, he is literally the continuity candidate. May's deal one more time anybody?

But actually I wouldn't vote for any of this shower. If I was voting, which I'm not.

Stewart's 'continuity' is a deal with a customs union, so I am assuming that you want a 'no deal' with NI border and WTO (unless you're a remainer).

That's what Johnson has promised from day 1, so if he gets in, he will deliver what you want, won't he ?

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Boris Johnson, with a population of 65 million, the only one for the job is Boris Johnson, god help you all.
If he gets in there could be civil war, the best person to lead, Boris Johnson, as funny as Trump being USA president.
All turning into a TV farce, would be so funny if not true.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

I think you’ve misunderstood. I haven’t accused you of anything, merely making the point a lot of people make their minds up based on his looks not policies. Best re read.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Stewart is interesting. As someone who has never voted Tory, he is finally someone I could see myself crossing the rubicon for. Maybe it's generational, as he's just a year older than me. Maybe he represents what the conservatives will become - i hope so - or maybe he just doesn't really belong there, he's an internationalist who has worked in a non military capacity in indonesia, iraq, Afganistan, a former professor of human rights at harvard, a Labour supporter at uni. I can see him in the same party as chukka umunna. A centrist who talks about working with the opposition (in contrast to Gove who called the leader of the opposition "a failed marxist who should be thrown back in the dustbin where he belongs" live on bbc 1 - jeez).

Anyway I liked him. They'll never vote for him now g but he could be unstoppable in the future... Will be very interesting to see if Boris puts him in his cabinet

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Stewart is interesting. As someone who has never voted Tory, he is finally someone I could see myself crossing the rubicon for. Maybe it's generational, as he's just a year older than me. Maybe he represents what the conservatives will become - i hope so - or maybe he just doesn't really belong there, he's an internationalist who has worked in a non military capacity in indonesia, iraq, Afganistan, a former professor of human rights at harvard, a Labour supporter at uni. I can see him in the same party as chukka umunna. A centrist who talks about working with the opposition (in contrast to Gove who called the leader of the opposition "a failed marxist who should be thrown back in the dustbin where he belongs" live on bbc 1 - jeez).

Anyway I liked him. They'll never vote for him now g but he could be unstoppable in the future... Will be very interesting to see if Boris puts him in his cabinet

I believe he has said that he wouldn't serve in a Johnson cabinet, and if he reversed that and decided to, I think he would be compromising the very things that people like about him.

I don't think he will and if Johnson wins, as seems likely, I think he will watch the whole clusterf*** play out from a distance. I notice Johnson had already moved last night from a 'no deal' Brexit, to 'the threat of a no deal' Brexit as predicted.

I think it was you that posted earlier that, once in, Johnson's only plausible solution will be to re-brand TM's deal. I wonder what our resident 'no deal' supporters on here will make of that.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Check his voting record before being tempted across that rubicon. As a human being he seems fine. Likeable and thoughtful. And of course he shines when seen in the context of the human dung heap that is the current conservative party 'leadership'. As a politician though, his instincts really don't look great.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
No wonder Johnson has been avoiding the cameras he is absolutely chuffing hopeless and clueless, his brain is totally disorganised, surely this prat can't be our prime minister can he?

Unless 120000 Tory members suddenly get a dose of common sense and reality I am afraid he will be.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I believe he has said that he wouldn't serve in a Johnson cabinet, and if he reversed that and decided to, I think he would be compromising the very things that people like about him.

I don't think he will and if Johnson wins, as seems likely, I think he will watch the whole clusterf*** play out from a distance. I notice Johnson had already moved last night from a 'no deal' Brexit, to 'the threat of a no deal' Brexit as predicted.

I think it was you that posted earlier that, once in, Johnson's only plausible solution will be to re-brand TM's deal. I wonder what our resident 'no deal' supporters on here will make of that.[/QUOTE

Johnson is a bit like Corbyn then.
Promises all things to all people and delivers very little.
Apparently he was promising various Conservative MPs No deal and Deal before the latest poll depending on what they wanted to hear.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I think it was you that posted earlier that, once in, Johnson's only plausible solution will be to re-brand TM's deal. I wonder what our resident 'no deal' supporters on here will make of that.

Johnson is a bit like Corbyn then.
Promises all things to all people and delivers very little.
Apparently he was promising various Conservative MPs No deal and Deal before the latest poll depending on what they wanted to hear.

If he was, then that's news to me as I've never heard him support 'no deal'. Maybe you could give us a link to where you got this information ?

(And I don't want Stewart to get in, as I believe he is the only one with a reasonable plan for Brexit and could get it to happen. I'm an ardent remainer, so I'm backing Johnson as I think that is most likely to stop Brexit completely)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Check his voting record before being tempted across that rubicon. As a human being he seems fine. Likeable and thoughtful. And of course he shines when seen in the context of the human dung heap that is the current conservative party 'leadership'. As a politician though, his instincts really don't look great.

Well, i don't know if that's his own opinions or just towing the party line while he rose to prominence, i guess I'd just like to find out. What hes done inside the ministries of the environment and foreign affairs is promising, and he's achieved substantial cross party support for his initiatives that would have been less likely if he was a rebel i suppose.

He's still a tory - but one I'll watch with interest

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No Deal no problem , we move on

regards
DR

There won't be a no deal scenario.

It will roll on until another solution is found.

A no deal might be okay for you but it won't be for millions of others here and elsewhere.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

When I look at Rory Stewart and read his works I come to understand Paul Weller's conflicting emotions about David Watts. He's someone who I should care little for yet somehow I can't get enough of him.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
If he was, then that's news to me as I've never heard him support 'no deal'. Maybe you could give us a link to where you got this information ?

(And I don't want Stewart to get in, as I believe he is the only one with a reasonable plan for Brexit and could get it to happen. I'm an ardent remainer, so I'm backing Johnson as I think that is most likely to stop Brexit completely)

I would disagree, Johnson can get the deal through parliament because he'll bring the ERG along - it wont pass without them. They dislike Stewart - he couldn't get it passed. Stewart on the other hand would then pivot to a second referendum with little hesitancy, soooo..?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here