Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 6 [now: 7] straight matches without scoring a single goal

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Just seen that the top 6 attacking side Arsenal are three down at Wolves. Puts our tactics and result in that game and at Spuds yesterday in perspective.

Not sure. I think it shows Wolves for what they are, a really impressive team who prefer attacking on the counter. They have a much better record vs the top than the bottom. Arsenal have over 70% of possession

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You could stick Sterling in our team right now and he’d struggle. I’m not his biggest fan but last night everyone put in a shift. When you’re asking creative players to literally not cross the halfway line then what do you expect?

You don’t really mean that about Sterling do you?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Not sure. I think it shows Wolves for what they are, a really impressive team who prefer attacking on the counter. They have a much better record vs the top than the bottom. Arsenal have over 70% of possession

Quite. By limiting the number of players we pushed forward at Wolves we nullified their main threat and came away with a important point.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008

But according to Wolves fans any team that has under 30% possession during a game do not deserve to come away from the game with anything. Bet they are not saying that about last night.

According to Sky Sports Wolves only had 3 shots on target and Arsenal 1. Doesn't matter how few chances you get on target as long as you make sure they go in

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You don’t really mean that about Sterling do you?

What makes you think he's a better auxiliary left back than Ali J? What would you base that opinion on? He might be, but we have no idea. I really rate Sterling, but one thing he does do is get caught in possession a bit easily sometimes, not what you want from your auxiliary left back on their wrong foot, playing in a position and a way completely alien to them.

Last edited:

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
At this point I don't care as long as we pick up another couple of points through goalless draws, see the season out and have a post-mortem in June.

I suspect many fans would've taken 17th before the season started but it's the manner of the capitulation which has got people (myself included to an extent) flapping.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
When you think Lallana, Chamberlain or Shaqiri can barely get a subs appearance under Klopp, not quite sure where you think Solly might fit in.

John Stones equally struggles to hold down a place under Guardiola.

So I've thought about it, really, thought, and don't see how this feeds into the anti-Hughton narrative particularly.

Solly in particular had a raft of openings against Cardiff in those opening 20mins, he played well, but his final ball / decision making was poor, he took the wrong option most times. However, Solly is one of several players that have really improved under Hughton. The fact you are talking of him being able to mix it at a top 6 club speaks volumes for his progress.

I think I phrased that maybe a little wrongly. I didn't mean they were all dead-cert shoe-in's for Citeh, Liverpool and so on - I just meant that I feel a different manager could probably improve those players. I feel a few of our lads are undoubtedly talented but we just don't seem to be improving them very much. In fact, we're buying some fairly good players and actually making them worse!!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Late March to early May 2015, 1 goal in 7 was also pretty poor. Are we now in the worst drought since 1970?

Last season we had 1 goal in 9 between Dec/Jan. including a run of 6 blank sheets

25 November 2017 13 Manchester United 1–0 Brighton & Hove Albion Trafford
28 November 2017 14 Brighton & Hove Albion 0–0 Crystal Palace
2 December 2017 15 Brighton & Hove Albion 1–5 Liverpool
9 December 2017 16 Huddersfield Town 2–0 Brighton & Hove Albion
13 December 2017 17 Tottenham Hotspur 2–0 Brighton & Hove Albion
16 December 2017 18 Brighton & Hove Albion 0–0 Burnley
23 December 2017 19 Brighton & Hove Albion 1–0 Watford
26 December 2017 20 Chelsea 2–0 Brighton & Hove Albion
30 December 2017 21 Newcastle United 0–0 Albion

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think I phrased that maybe a little wrongly. I didn't mean they were all dead-cert shoe-in's for Citeh, Liverpool and so on - I just meant that I feel a different manager could probably improve those players. I feel a few of our lads are undoubtedly talented but we just don't seem to be improving them very much. In fact, we're buying some fairly good players and actually making them worse!!

Yeah, I see what you mean, but I think Dunk and Solly in particular have developed massively under Hughton. Dunk has gone from regular red cards and aberrations to England cap.

Propper up until end of January I felt had improved from the previous season, but his form has all but disappeared. Gross, hard to tell with so much disruption, we've been better since he came back.

As of the new signings this year, I haven't seen much of them previously, they've mostly stepped up a level, so not sure how we can say we've made them worse, time will tell on that one, for the moment, a few of them weren't having an impact when they arrived, and just don't look good enough. Bernardo does seem to be getting better as the season goes on.

This is where I think our transfer policy comes under scrutiny. If it has genuinely all been led by Hughton, they were all his targets, that this was his blueprint for the squad improvements, then I might join the chorus of feeling we need a change. I don't know that though, hence I seem to be defending him, when actually I'm sat on the fence, mainly due to what he delivered in the previous years as supporting evidence.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Last season we had 1 goal in 9 between Dec/Jan. including a run of 6 blank sheets

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
For me, the lack of goals has come from a "must not lose" mentality. Against Toon on Saturday, we do not need to "not lose" we need to bloody well WIN

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Looks like TWO goals in 9 to me, with a run of 3 blank sheets. :shrug:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
But according to Wolves fans any team that has under 30% possession during a game do not deserve to come away from the game with anything. Bet they are not saying that about last night.

According to Sky Sports Wolves only had 3 shots on target and Arsenal 1. Doesn't matter how few chances you get on target as long as you make sure they go in

Ive forgotten what the debate was about but I do remember I was right

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here