Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Andone was clearly less than impressed at being subbed. As he walked off he had a face like Dot Cotton licking piss off a nettle, and was shrugging his shoulders at the other players on the bench as he sat down. Looked to me like HE was the one that completely blanked CH as he walked past him.

Hughton was always going to bring Glenn on at some point to help aerially at the back once Spurs prepared to launch their final onslaught, and given that Andone was on a yellow, it was an understandable switch. Andone needs to get with the programme.

Yes you could clearly see Andone say ''why'' and ignore CH ....whereas Ali had quite a cordial chat :moo:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe if he hadn't played quite so brainlessly, desperately trying to get sent off at every opportunity, he might've last another 15-20 mins? Hughton took him off for his own good.

Yep. Half time came at a good time for him. He wasn't quite the second yellow waiting to happen after the break, so they'd clearly had a word to calm him down a bit. But he was still on a tightrope, so it was the right move to swap him for Murray for the last half hour.

Stumpy Tim

Isn't it strange that it's our attacking players are the ones who haven't worked out, but on the whole our defenders are doing fine. I wonder why that would be? It's almost as if they spend 90% of their defending and holding the shape every single game. Even if you look at the stats at the much maligned Ricky van Wolfswinkel, he has scored every other game apart from during his Norwich spell. Lower standard yes, but no chance of scoring when you're defending so much

2008–2009 Vitesse 33 (8)
2009–2011 Utrecht 64 (26)
2011–2013 Sporting CP 55 (28)
2013–2016 Norwich City 25 (1)
2014–2015 → Saint-Étienne (loan) 28 (5)
2015–2016 → Real Betis (loan) 16 (1)
2016–2017 Vitesse 32 (20)
2017– Basel 39 (20)

And for that reason, I'm afraid I am now in the CH OUT camp (at the end of the season, if we stay up)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Isn't it strange that it's our attacking players are the ones who haven't worked out, but on the whole our defenders are doing fine. I wonder why that would be? It's almost as if they spend 90% of their defending and holding the shape every single game. Even if you look at the stats at the much maligned Ricky van Wolfswinkel, he has scored every other game apart from during his Norwich spell. Lower standard yes, but no chance of scoring when you're defending so much

2008–2009 Vitesse 33 (8)
2009–2011 Utrecht 64 (26)
2011–2013 Sporting CP 55 (28)
2013–2016 Norwich City 25 (1)
2014–2015 → Saint-Étienne (loan) 28 (5)
2015–2016 → Real Betis (loan) 16 (1)
2016–2017 Vitesse 32 (20)
2017– Basel 39 (20)

And for that reason, I'm afraid I am now in the CH OUT camp (at the end of the season, if we stay up)

Locadia
2011– 2018 PSV 127 games - 45 goals
2018– Brighton & Hove Albion 31 games - 3 goals

Jahanbakhsh
2013–2015 NEC 55 games - 17 goals
2015–2018 AZ 85 games - 34 goals
2018– Brighton & Hove Albion 17 games - 0 goals

Andone
2011–2014 Villarreal C 36 games - 11 goals
2013–2014 → Atlético Baleares (loan) 34 games - 12 goals
2014–2015 Córdoba B 8 games - 2 goals
2014–2016 Córdoba 56 games - 26 goals
2016–2018 Deportivo La Coruña 66 games - 18 goals
2018– Brighton & Hove Albion 20 games - 3 goals

Sobering.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Maybe if he hadn't played quite so brainlessly, desperately trying to get sent off at every opportunity, he might've lasted another 15-20 mins? Hughton took him off for his own good. Very frustrating from Andone last night.

Exactly. No arguments with the decision to take him off before he was sent off.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Locadia

Jahanbakhsh

Andone

Sobering.
Been quite critical of CH this season but those stats just seem to highlight the step up to playing in the Premier League. Locadia and AJ just haven't been good enough.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Locadia

Jahanbakhsh

Andone

Sobering.

You could also argue that the defending in the Premier League is better than in the other leagues any of those forwards had played in, but I agree that our safety-first outlook doesn't give them much chance to score. It's not a question of them missing sitters but seldom getting chances.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Been quite critical of CH this season but those stats just seem to highlight the step up to playing in the Premier League. Locadia and AJ just haven't been good enough.

I'm sure we could find plenty of other stats of players making the step up successfully. Jamie Vardy, perhaps?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm sure we could find plenty of other stats of players making the step up successfully. Jamie Vardy, perhaps?

If you are good enough that is. I don't think CH coaches ability out of forwards. I reiterate though in my view that we have signed some very ordinary players. Locadia last night was dreadful.

Stumpy Tim

The point is, our signings in defence appear to have stepped up fine - so it's just our forward players that haven't. That can't be coincidental

Stumpy Tim

You could also argue that the defending in the Premier League is better than in the other leagues any of those forwards had played in, but I agree that our safety-first outlook doesn't give them much chance to score. It's not a question of them missing sitters but seldom getting chances.

Yes, but you could argue the attackers are better too, so why haven't our defensive signings struggled? It's because they have lots of defensive support, while our attacking players have no attacking support.

Defend as a team, attack in 2's

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
If you are good enough that is. I don't think CH coaches ability out of forwards. I reiterate though in my view that we have signed some very ordinary players. Locadia last night was dreadful.

It hard to make a fair assessment of Locadia, as he isn't being played to his strengths. He certainly isn't any good as an auxiliary left back. But when played down the middle, in the final third, he has shown glimpses of his PSV form. We just need to sustain some attacking pressure to better judge him and Alireza.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes, but you could argue the attackers are better too, so why haven't our defensive signings struggled? .

Schelotto found the step up too much, and struggled.
Suttner struggled and was shipped out.
Montoya hasn't pulled up any trees.
Balogun can't get a kick, and was woeful in his last couple of cup outings.

:shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The point is, our signings in defence appear to have stepped up fine - so it's just our forward players that haven't. That can't be coincidental

It’s not rocket science, if you don’t attack as a team how are the forwards (who spend most of their time as defenders) supposed to step up when there is no support when attacking?

You’d need pacy world class forwards to play like that and even then they’d struggle most of the time and be useless defenders, so wouldn’t get to play that often anyway :smile:

Murray huffing and puffing upfront on his own, with the occasional great goal, often offside and with a penchant for fouling defenders is clearly not the answer either.

For me the jury remains out on our new attacking signings until we actually play to their strengths. We should really have signed more defenders with the way we currently play.

Stumpy Tim

It’s not rocket science, if you don’t attack as a team how are the forwards (who spend most of their time as defenders) supposed to step up when there is no support when attacking?

You’d need pacy world class forwards to play like that and even then they’d struggle most of the time and be useless defenders, so wouldn’t get to play that often anyway :smile:

Murray huffing and puffing upfront on his own, with the occasional great goal, often offside and with a penchant for fouling defenders is clearly not the answer either.

For me the jury remains out on our new attacking signings until we actually play to their strengths. We should really have signed more defenders with the way we currently play.

Agree 100%!

Stumpy Tim

Schelotto found the step up too much, and struggled.
Suttner struggled and was shipped out.
Montoya hasn't pulled up any trees.
Balogun can't get a kick, and was woeful in his last couple of cup outings.

:shrug:

None have struggled like our forwards. You're very harsh on Balogun, and I don't think Suttner was that bad. Even Schelotto had his moments. Unfortunately those moments were when he attacked, which he isn't allowed to do. Montoya was known as an attacking full-back... doesn't do much of that now

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

I feel uncomfortable watching Murray now. A bit like watching an ageing elephant struggling to provide for its offspring because there’s no-one else to do it.

His contribution is reducing match by match and it’s embarrassing watching him having to turn back into trouble because he hasn’t even got the legs to run the ball into the opponents half. His 40 yarder quickly followed by Kayal’s equally poor attempt is the worst passage of forward play I’ve seen from us this season (accepting that we have had only a few passages of forward play this season). A shame Solly and Duffy didn’t make the keeper work harder with their efforts.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here