Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stephens

It’s a game of opinions and mine is Stephens hasn’t been good enough and Hughton’s loyalty to him has been the bedrock of the defensive fear that has killed the second half of our season

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It’s a game of opinions and mine is Stephens hasn’t been good enough and Hughton’s loyalty to him has been the bedrock of the defensive fear that has killed the second half of our season

The people who matter ie the manager, and the players think differently. Loyalty to one player doesn't instil defensive fear.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
NSC has recently become the bastion of “Blame Culture”

NSC has recently become the bastion of “Blame Culture”

Lol yes NSC until this season never criticised players that it believed were underperforming

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All started with Kayal getting a nosebleed and deciding to try and put the ball over the stand, rather than at the goal or just keep it

The people who matter ie the manager, and the players think differently. Loyalty to one player doesn't instil defensive fear.

But the notion managers never make mistakes is the kind of stuff that always gets said right up to the moment they get sacked? Which actually happens a lot

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Dunk's position is slightly too central and Kayal could be half a yard closer. Stephens is covering the shot to the far post and Maty Ryan perfectly placed.

On any other day one of three Brighton players blocks that shot or Ryan makes the save. It was just a quality strike from one of the best players in Europe. We don't have to blame anybody.

Compared to the goals we conceded in the run up to this game, this was one of those goal of the month, not much else you can do strikes. Yes, Kayal could be closer, Stephens could have fronted up more, but the strike is just a rocket. Almost all night they went wide or were blocked, it was a superb strike.

2 games we've stopped conceding soft pathetic goals. We have to build on that Saturday.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Our season could be defined by goal difference and we went to one of the best teams in England and conceded one goal .

Criticised? More like a full on witch hunt, with pitch forks at the moment :lolol:

Again I’d love to know what Brighton forum you’ve been reading in previous years :)

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I'm not a huge fan of Stephens, but with the exception of Cardiff and possibly Bournemouth, I think he has been far, far better the last couple of months.

But to blame him for last night is just ridiculous, he WAS trying to block the shot, Kayal COULD have been closer, but was still only a foot away ffs, maybe if Ryan was taller?

To blame anyone for that last night is just scapegoating, world class strike from a world class player, sometimes you just have to say well done, and well done to all our lads, did their jobs superbly from start to finish

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Didn't turn back in my view, just guessed the wrong line for the shot. He went to his right and the shot went to his left.

Anyway enough of this player knocking. They have done really well in two games, sadly not in the ones before, but that is history and this is now. Saturday obviously is huge.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Again I’d love to know what Brighton forum you’ve been reading in previous years :)

Not one where just about every player gets a good kicking at some stage. I think the whole squad has had an NSC kicking over the last month or so. I get the ones about the team performances recently up until Wolves but not the “not good enough for the Premier League” which seems to be the go to one after a poor game for just about every player at the moment. It’s Ashley Barnes criticism in overload!

It’s normally a couple of scapegoats over a season.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Stephens and Dunk. First two names on the team sheet for me.

... and Duffy.

They were the three standout players last night for me - they put in one hell of a shift. I actually think we can get something against Arsenal if we replicate that spirit.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
To blame one player for one piece of positioning is naive at best and without doubt unfair and, I'd say, lacking in any real understanding of the amount of moves, decision making and anticipation of the next phase of play. Just imagine if Stephens had moved towards him and he'd slipped the ball past him, would that then have been his fault?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here