Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Summer signings

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Depends what you mean by big.

If we buy a player on a 4 year contract for 15 million and give him the alleged max of 50k pw, that's 15 million plus 10 million in wages over 4 years. 25 total.

If we could get some higher calibre player on a free and pay 100k per week with say a 5 million sign on bonus. That's 20 million in wages and 5 million sign on. 25 also, so no difference in cost to the club...... But if you're willing to pay 100pw for a free youre fishing in a lot bigger and better quality pool.

Of course sell on value plays a part to, but anyone half decent will have numerous suitors and if we're limited to 50k you can bet another interested party isn't. Hey ho, it's TB's dosh
Cough ............. ahem ....................... highest earner contracts?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I Have watched every home game and 6 away. We are kidding ourselves if we are saying to compete better next year squad needs a little tinkering. It needs a clearout. Many of our players Stevens,Propper Knockhaert etc will have a good sell on price with there experience and sales of these and others can help an overall. Only problem doubt if Bloom will trust recruitment dept and Hughton to do the spending.

Mitrovic please, can get us the 10-15 that we won’t get from Murray ever again

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

In a 442 with Andone. We can horrible shites like Wood and Barnes

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Depends what you mean by big.

If we buy a player on a 4 year contract for 15 million and give him the alleged max of 50k pw, that's 15 million plus 10 million in wages over 4 years. 25 total.

If we could get some higher calibre player on a free and pay 100k per week with say a 5 million sign on bonus. That's 20 million in wages and 5 million sign on. 25 also, so no difference in cost to the club...... But if you're willing to pay 100pw for a free youre fishing in a lot bigger and better quality pool.

Of course sell on value plays a part to, but anyone half decent will have numerous suitors and if we're limited to 50k you can bet another interested party isn't. Hey ho, it's TB's dosh

By big I mean someone like Andre Schurrle whose contract is £3 milion per year. In theory a player that could be a target, but not at that price.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I Have watched every home game and 6 away. We are kidding ourselves if we are saying to compete better next year squad needs a little tinkering. It needs a clearout. Many of our players Stevens,Propper Knockhaert etc will have a good sell on price with there experience and sales of these and others can help an overall. Only problem doubt if Bloom will trust recruitment dept and Hughton to do the spending.

We won't get much, in PL terms, for players we want to offload, and if we spread our budget around too thinly to try and replace half the team or more the players we get in won't be any better than what we've got. Spending big on a couple of really good players - really good ones - isn't 'tinkering'.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This. But with CH still in charge please.

I'm rather afraid we may have got some players on 'highest earner' contracts, which could be a problem. But that's our own fault anyway. We - or rather TB - will have to live with it.
These 'highest earner' contracts - my guess Dunk, Knockaert, and Stephens - need to be replaced by new contracts without the clause, or if refused these players may have to be moved on. Simply not financially sustainable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Adrián Dalmau seems to be a perfect fit for the Albion

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
From Southend straight to the Premier League . . . no l don't think so. As far as 'one for the future' in concerned, well I think we already have enough of those. Very few are ever seen again anyway.

By saying that your basically ruling out any English young talent there is out there that warrant a LOOK from lower league clubs , I know absolutely nothing about Dru Yearwood and I've not seen him play so I'm assuming you've been watching him and know he's not good enough or could be good enough?.

Our U23s have I think out performed themselves in their FIRST season in PL2, do you think it's not worth having a acadamey at all because we haven't found a superstar yet?.

Every season there are youngsters who are plucked from the lower leagues by canny Premier league teams to see if they can hack it Most do indeed fail and end up on loan again but every now and then a quality player emerges from obscurity to kick on and make it as a top player.

English players with quality are becoming rarer than white dog poo so I'm absolutely sure our scouting network would have been looking very hard at lots of these types of youngsters, it's just good business if just one of these kids we pick up actually makes it.

it is a gamble but look at what we spent our money on this season, not exactly settling the league alight are they, the mindset of not searching out these types of player is a pretty narrow minded one, obviously this is just how I see it and I'm sure many would agree with you that it's far better off chucking money at experienced older players, but we've been caught out this season by buying pretty average ones with little hope of recouping the price paid for them.

Finding these home grown gems for relatively peanuts is every clubs dream and it should also be part of our philosophy.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Watching Neil Maupay tear Dirty a new one at Brentford. Utter pest & knows where the back of the net is. Can't see him being there next season so worth a punt?

Hmmm the Brentford owner Matthew Benham and Tony Bloom famously don't get on. Whenever we play at Griffin Park Tony joins us fans to watch the game, and doesn't take up his seat in the Directors Box.

Doubt very much a deal could be done there.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Write off Glenn at your peril, did anyone expect him to score the 13 he has managed so far this season? Having said that l agree that Mitrovic would make a good replacement, if, and it's a big IF, we could afford him, and he is willing to come. I do have a feeling though that much bigger fish than us will be after him too.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If we start next season in a probably a stronger league, with modest signings, and Murray, Bruno etc, either gone our with reduced influence, can anyone seriously see us staying up?

We need to spend bigger. I think Tony knows this and we will.

My guess is that 5 or 6 of the clubs highest earners will go up to about 70K per week and that we might spend as much as £100m in the summer.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
If we start next season in a probably a stronger league, with modest signings, and Murray, Bruno etc, either gone our with reduced influence, can anyone seriously see us staying up?

We need to spend bigger. I think Tony knows this and we will.

My guess is that 5 or 6 of the clubs highest earners will go up to about 70K per week and that we might spend as much as £100m in the summer.

Need to stay up first.

But yes, massive investment needed on first team players.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The biggest point against signing Mitrovic is that he is a younger version of Murray and from our signings with more pace I think that CH is wanting to move away from that style of play.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Need to stay up first.

But yes, massive investment needed on first team players.

Well I guess for those of us who enjoy the Summer transfer window then this one could end up being really rather busy whether we stay up or not!
Stay up and you would think we would spend ALOT of dosh to make sure we give ourselves the best chance to not be in this position again.
Go down and we will have to sell or loan out probably half the first team squad, and replace them with enough quality players to target the top 6.

Could be a fun summer :)

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Hmmm the Brentford owner Matthew Benham and Tony Bloom famously don't get on. Whenever we play at Griffin Park Tony joins us fans to watch the game, and doesn't take up his seat in the Directors Box.

Doubt very much a deal could be done there.

I highly doubt if we waved 20 million at them he wouldn't be interested simply because he doesn't like TB. Business is business, and anyway, I doubt TB does much of the actual negotiating. If Chris/Barber/Ashworth said "Yes, this Brentford guy is the one we'd like for next season", I highly doubt TB would say no simply because he doesn't like their owner.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I highly doubt if we waved 20 million at them he wouldn't be interested simply because he doesn't like TB. Business is business, and anyway, I doubt TB does much of the actual negotiating. If Chris/Barber/Ashworth said "Yes, this Brentford guy is the one we'd like for next season", I highly doubt TB would say no simply because he doesn't like their owner.

I think TB would make a diplomatic exit from negotiations and leave his team to do the deal.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Write off Glenn at your peril, did anyone expect him to score the 13 he has managed so far this season? Having said that l agree that Mitrovic would make a good replacement, if, and it's a big IF, we could afford him, and he is willing to come. I do have a feeling though that much bigger fish than us will be after him too.

Some people try to airbrush Muzza’s goals, which may well keep us up, out of this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here