Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not a matter of smug. It IS a ****ing mess.
No. A minority very, very, very smug. Look like getting what they wanted, even though a majority of us didn't.

MPs are now officially traitors to democracy - none of them are fit to govern our wonderful country. This isn't over..........................

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
This total farce will cause massive voting apathy at the next general election

Interesting time for our democracy in the next few years. I did my thesis 40+ years ago about role of democracy in governing countries and there are arguments to say for some it is the wrong choice. For Britain its strength had been its parliament but now that has been screwed not sure what we have.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
No. A minority very, very, very smug. Look like getting what they wanted, even though a majority of us didn't.

MPs are now officially traitors to democracy - none of them are fit to govern our wonderful country. This isn't over..........................

The 'majority' had a minor victory on a campaign of so many lies that the Leave campaign just took a 61000 quid fine. Brexiteers didn't want to be 'ruled' (we weren't) by the EU, but by the British Parliament. You have what you craved. What's your problem.? They are following British law. Deal with it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The majority had a minor victory on a campaign of so many lies that the Leave campaign just took a 61000 quid fine. Brexitesrs didn't want to be 'ruled' (we weren't) by the EU, but by the British Parliament. You have what you craved. What's your problem.?

My problem? No. Your's.

Bad loser syndrome. Shame you don't understand or respect democracy. Your loss.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Oh I can see quite a motivation for removing MPs who did not honor their manifesto commitments.

That is if they don't get deselected by their local party first.

Dominic Grieve just lost his confidence vote earlier.

One down...

-------------------------------------------------

"It will be your decision whether to remain in the EU... or whether we Leave. your decision. Nobody else’s. Not politicians’. Not Parliament’s. Not lobby groups’. Not mine. Just you. You, the British people, will decide. And it will be the final decision."

David Cameron.
-------------------------------------------------

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

If anything has come out of this mate (anything) it's created an interest in Parliament. Possibly........

I don't bother to vote in the GE because I've unluckily always found myself in constituencies where it's always a shoe-in. I vote "religiously" in the locals and for the Mayor.

I've always been deeply criticised for it by people at work. Understandably by those who grew up under communism etc. However the fact is I always understand more about it works by people who criticise me. My book shelves (and now Kindle) are full of political biographies.

What's happened over the last few years is that many people have come up to me and said "yeah, I get it now - it's all a ****ing game".

Personally, I'm now going to start voting again. Why ?

The indicative votes have extracted from my local MP what they really think. Contradictory, but not under the direct threat of a whip.

Quite a brilliant exercise. We can argue about the non result, but a compelling thing to watch. It was just like me and Beachy.

We disagree on a number of things politically, but we agree on this. He messaged me earlier and asked to borrow my Billy Bragg albums. There is hope.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
No no. I just find it rather telling , where you have placed yourself in your hierarchy of immigrants.

never taken a cent in dole money either in UK or Aus....always worked , always paid my way , as did my parents.....my dad is now gone and my mother was forced to sell her house to pay for care ......if she lives another 5 years she'll have literally nothing left , and yet the dislike of full time employment is widely discussed with regard to certain sections of society .....you may argue that immigration to Australia by Europeans has been to the detriment of the Aboriginal population , but the chances are that Indonesia would have wiped them out by now anyway ......i would argue that the magnitude and rapidity with which certain cultures have made ingress into the UK is an unprecedented and irreversible disaster which is going to have a radical effect on the lives of our grandchildren.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A true democracy would be to have another vote now. When the electorate have more knowledge.

Agreed?

I voted Remain, but is that democracy, to keep having referenda until you get the result you want?

Before Brexit, we universally condemned the lies of Salmond/Sturgeon who agreed to their “once in two generations referendum”, lost it, then immediately started complaining for a second.

Does politics in the UK become a series of referenda, then follow up referenda?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I voted Remain, but is that democracy, to keep having referenda until you get the result you want?

Before Brexit, we universally condemned the lies of Salmond/Sturgeon who agreed to their “once in two generations referendum”, lost it, then immediately started complaining for a second.

Does politics in the UK become a series of referenda, then follow up referenda?

It's not about having a referendum until you get the result you want.

Surely everyone has to admit that now the electorate are far far more aware of the ramifications of Brexit. So now you would get a truer result.

That result would only be followed by the need of another (3rd)referendum if the same circumstances applied. That the electorate were much more informed to make a decision than the last one.

I would hope that that would not apply.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
So 400,000 in the Scottish Referendum vote difference ,they surely must get another vote on independence.

It's not the same scenario is it.

How informed were the electorate for the first referendum?

How informed are they now?

I would say that they are substantially more informed now.

Surely that's grounds for another vote. It still might be leave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here