Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anyone done a history of their family investigation?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I have gone back to 1746 on dads side. Fairly easy as they were Shetlanders so it’s a LOT of Scandinavian. I tell my kids they’re Vikings.

On mums side...all got a bit odd. My Nan, it turns out, was a Jew from Poland who fled to England to avoid the Nazis. Now, that’s all OK but I NEVER knew. She had a cut glass English accent and raised my Mum as a catholic. Apparently she was either afraid of Antisemitism or was shamed of her Jewishness.

The rules on being Jewish are that it comes down through the mothers line. Which Means I’m Jewish.

I am a Catholic. My kids are Catholic, I went to De la Salle for gods sake!

But...hey...I’m actually Jewish. Who knew.

Wow, that's a really interesting find. It's incredible how many Jews did the same, changing names etc even after fleeing to US, UK etc. One thing that's baffled me throughout my life is the persecution of jews throughout history. It makes no sense to me despite reading widely on the subject why they've been scapegoated since Adam was a lad. Even today. Post WW2. Still people display antisemitism. Why? Why not say Methodists?! It's just bizarre as it is worrying.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If anyone is thinking of delving into their family tree, just be careful, yeah...

The ironic thing about that is that he is a direct descendant of William the conqueror as they found out when he was " done" on the program. I loved it when he revealed it to his mum and she said.." oh yes, we do go back a few years". Absolutely an understatement.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm finding the main issue is some of the handwriting is very hard to read, when its written in block capitals its fine but there are lots in joined up lower case which I'm sure has resulted in my surname changing in some generations. What has amazes me from looking at old censuses is the amount of people who lived in houses, lots seemed to have whole families of boarders and when you look at the houses on google you wonder how they could fit so many people in.

The Edward Cressey sanitation report on Brighton in the 1840s suggested as many as 16 in one room.

With open cesspools and abattoirs in central areas you can deduce that those pretty painted post cards were a Victorian delusion to keep the 'haves' coming.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Wow, that's a really interesting find. It's incredible how many Jews did the same, changing names etc even after fleeing to US, UK etc. One thing that's baffled me throughout my life is the persecution of jews throughout history. It makes no sense to me despite reading widely on the subject why they've been scapegoated since Adam was a lad. Even today. Post WW2. Still people display antisemitism. Why? Why not say Methodists?! It's just bizarre as it is worrying.

I can’t speak for all Jews but “nanny buggins” as we called her (buggins wasn’t her name) was head mental.

Jews were persecuted because they were money lenders, sometimes propping up kings, and that didn’t sit well when they had all the capital whilst others had sod all...or the King decided he didn’t want to pay the interest.

They have been hounded out of pretty much every European country, even England, and it’s ALWAYS because of usury.

They are genetically very Bright. This is not anecdotal but has been studied and demonstrated over and over...just look how many Nobel prizes have gone to Jews, so this tends to result in the high paying Jobs (doctors, Lawyers, politicians) going to Jews in disproportionate numbers.

In the US Jews run Hollywood and the media so are accused of “dumbing down” the industry. This is clearly Bollocks, but there you go. They also wield a huge amount of political muscle via lobbying and funding, which is seen as “sneaky”

All of this was used by various antisemites, the Nazis, The Royal families and Authotitarians to view the Jews as an enemy within rather than them exploiting their natural advantages.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
On the paternal side, moved from I.O.W to mid Sussex around 1850 to find work as farmer labourers. Digging deeper it appears the surname is derived from a village in Normandy which was moved en masses when William I decided to come to Sussex for his extended vacation.
DNA testing shows a very heavy Viking influence which would indicate they came to Normandy with Williams great great grandfather.
Maternal side is very weird. My mum was an orphan though brought up by relatives and so she never spoke about her mother or fathers family. Most people in Galicia are related to Portuguese or Irish yet the maternal DNA shows heaviest concentration in Slovenia, Romania, Greece and Basque region rather than Spain. TBH it is very low concentrations, but it does indicate that on my maternal side there was a liking for caravans .......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I can’t speak for all Jews but “nanny buggins” as we called her (buggins wasn’t her name) was head mental.

Jews were persecuted because they were money lenders, sometimes propping up kings, and that didn’t sit well when they had all the capital whilst others had sod all...or the King decided he didn’t want to pay the interest.

They have been hounded out of pretty much every European country, even England, and it’s ALWAYS because of usury.

They are genetically very Bright. This is not anecdotal but has been studied and demonstrated over and over...just look how many Nobel prizes have gone to Jews, so this tends to result in the high paying Jobs (doctors, Lawyers, politicians) going to Jews in disproportionate numbers.

In the US Jews run Hollywood and the media so are accused of “dumbing down” the industry. This is clearly Bollocks, but there you go. They also wield a huge amount of political muscle via lobbying and funding, which is seen as “sneaky”

All of this was used by various antisemites, the Nazis, The Royal families and Authotitarians to view the Jews as an enemy within rather than them exploiting their natural advantages.

Jealousy really. The irony being usury was one of only a few occupations allowed by law to Jews...then people hate them for being good at! But as said, can’t fathom why this faith above all others constantly been persecuted since beginning of time. Haters gotta hate is eventually the conclusion you come to because it makes no sense.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well according to my research I am the 13th grand nephew of Anne Boleyn. Cooool.

I love everyone getting excited by links to Caesar, Adam, Eve etc further go back. Basically everyone is as Danny Dyer found out!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Jealousy really. The irony being usury was one of only a few occupations allowed by law to Jews...then people hate them for being good at! But as said, can’t fathom why this faith above all others constantly been persecuted since beginning of time. Haters gotta hate is eventually the conclusion you come to because it makes no sense.

I will admit, that whilst I was charmed to realise I am actually a Jew by blood I have had some (older) relatives say some very anti Semitic things “I wouldn’t be proud of THAT”, “How come you’re skint then?” “You haven’t got a hook nose though” all that shit.

I might have let it slide before, but now find myself defending Jews. It has certainly opened my eyes about Just how real the phenomena is. And makes me realise why Corbyn IS actually an antisemite.

I’m not OK with the Jews treating the Palestinians the way they do but I can certainly appreciate why they have to have their own bit of land where they can stand and fight if they need to.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I will admit, that whilst I was charmed to realise I am actually a Jew by blood I have had some (older) relatives say some very anti Semitic things “I wouldn’t be proud of THAT”, “How come you’re skint then?” “You haven’t got a hook nose though” all that shit.

I might have let it slide before, but now find myself defending Jews. It has certainly opened my eyes about Just how real the phenomena is. And makes me realise why Corbyn IS actually an antisemite.

I’m not OK with the Jews treating the Palestinians the way they do but I can certainly appreciate why they have to have their own bit of land where they can stand and fight if they need to.

Not a word I’d disagree with there, and as you know that’s bloody unusual for me! I’m not Jewish and get really wound up by antisemitism, I think because of the sheer volume of Holocaust accounts and history I’ve read. How anyone can treat it so lightly when we’re still within living memory of the most horrific systematic killing of people in history beggars belief IMO.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I haven't but others in and outside of my family have luckly it's a really unusual name plus there are not many of us, to the point if you were to come across any one with my family name it would be very likley to be a direct relation of mine.

My family feature several in a number of books including hansards where both David Cameron and Boris Johnson are quoted Using an incident involving my family as part of separate speeches, members of the family were at one point unable to travel to a fairly long list of countries we have had few notable members of the family from I kid you not a Pirate, A Doge of Venice two Ambassadors and one Consul General, actions directly relating to one of my previous relations resulted in an international incident that nearly resulted in war between England Russua and France, there is a family title which my older brother could but chooses not to, the family has been prominently involved in two European revolutions and in the 1800s were personally known by The first Duke of Wellington, Lord Palmerston, King Otto 1 of Greece, Lord Napier in addition to this but not directly through marriage I had an uncle who has since passed away who was a WW11 fighter pilot for the Americans who went onto being a member of the ground crew for Apollo 11 he appears in the film played by an actor.

We can trace our family with confidence to the late 1700s and with less confidence as far back as the mid 1500s

Lush

Mods' Pet

I agree, and this is probably not the thread for this, but I believe it is possible to be anti-Zionist (or at least the continued expansion of Israel into Palestinian territories) without being anti-semitic. It often suits Israel to conflate the two ie "you can't stop us/disagree with what we're doing because that makes you Jew-haters."

disappearing-palestine.jpg

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
My father' grandfather was Scottish and called John Reid.

His father was called John Reid

His father (you guessed it) was called John Reid.

I've given up on this line, there are millions of John Reid's in Scotland!

My dad came from the remotest part of Ireland, my surname is so common there we're probably all related.
My brother was named after our grandfather, so was my uncle and cousin :)
My grandmother's maiden name was Duffy and Shane's family come from the same part of Ireland :laugh:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I agree, and this is probably not the thread for this, but I believe it is possible to be anti-Zionist (or at least the continued expansion of Israel into Palestinian territories) without being anti-semitic. It often suits Israel to conflate the two ie "you can't stop us/disagree with what we're doing because that makes you Jew-haters."

View attachment 108488

Those demographic maps are interesting and, as I say, I’m not OK with Israel hoofing the Palestinians out. I also get that Zionism is not Judaism but...and this is a big but...what else are the Jews going to do?

Their democracy and need to defend their people has been hard won. As has been pointed out the Jews have been persecuted and murdered all over the world. The British guaranteed the Jews Israel with the Balfour declaration (Palestine being a British protectorate) and, frankly, no one else wanted them after WW2.

It’s a little known fact that Palestinians are happy to sell their land to Jews but (because it is likely to upset other Muslims) they will then tell everyone that their land was “stolen” by the Israelis. It’s a complex set of politics in Palestine but, I would rather have a pro western Democracy in the region than not. They’ve had to fight for their lives to keep that bit of desert. Let them have it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Quick question for anyone who has used ancestry.com
I have started the 14 day trial and so far whizzed through a good one side of the family to 1800 and then there are no more hints or help beyond that.
Is this a kind of selective process, that if I actually pay a subscription, suddenly those hints will open up, is it worth it, is what I’m basically asking ?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Fathers side tracked back to 1583, Lancaster. Family then seem to have spun to many corners of the British Empire, Ireland, India, New Zealand, Canada. Mainly religious, army and a few professions, one who died trying to escape from jail. Went to New Zealand 1878 five generations ago, until my return 1979. Digging on my mother’s side.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Fathers side tracked back to 1583, Lancaster. Family then seem to have spun to many corners of the British Empire, Ireland, India, New Zealand, Canada. Mainly religious, army and a few professions, one who died trying to escape from jail. Went to New Zealand 1878 five generations ago, until my return 1979. Digging on my mother’s side.

Please forgive me for asking, do you do this through the internet? if so, Is it easy for someone who is older who lacks internet experience?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here