Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Kicking yourself off Facebook

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Gave it a go in the very early days but struggled with getting any use out of it and found the whole projecting your life to loads of people you have very loose links to a bit odd. Just found it a bit strange while visiting friends profiles who were going through tough times to find nothing but a highlights reel which made it look like they were living in wedded bliss. Final straw was someone I barely knew threw a virtual sheep at me and realised this was all a bit mental

Never really understood the appeal and seems mainly targeted to the narcissistic. Use WhatsApp now to keep connected with friends overseas and twitter purely to digest lots of crap news quickly

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Binned it about 6 months ago.

The only thing I miss is [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION]s face

:down:

You've turned into a Twitter whore now.

I don't post much on FB any more but I still find it useful for events, especially with my running clubs. I have become quite aggressive with the use of the unfollow function though. My feed is mainly full of posts I might be interested in from people and pages I'm happy to keep following. The only thing that pisses me off is the way they decide what should be my "top stories" which seems to keep showing some of the same posts from days ago.

goldstonegull

Feb 18, 2009
plymouth
I've been on Facebook a few years, and over that period of time have got in touch, and met up with a lot of old Navy mates who I have not met in yrs., In fact we had a HMS Brighton reunion in Portsmouth last year, and we are having another one this year. So Facebook does have it's positives.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
:down:

You've turned into a Twitter whore now.

I don't post much on FB any more but I still find it useful for events, especially with my running clubs. I have become quite aggressive with the use of the unfollow function though. My feed is mainly full of posts I might be interested in from people and pages I'm happy to keep following. The only thing that pisses me off is the way they decide what should be my "top stories" which seems to keep showing some of the same posts from days ago.

Easier to troll on twitter

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I've been a lurker and posting next to nothing for many years, but the last couple of years i've joined a few groups (Boiler installer groups like Viessmann/Vaillant/Worcester Bosch and a Yamaha Motorbike group) which have been really helpful for asking tech questions and helping out others.

When my wife overlooks and see's, she thinks i'm a complete boring ****. :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've been on Facebook a few years, and over that period of time have got in touch, and met up with a lot of old Navy mates who I have not met in yrs., In fact we had a HMS Brighton reunion in Portsmouth last year, and we are having another one this year. So Facebook does have it's positives.

Yes, there's a great Wrens group, and Communicators group with lots of events organised. Like anything else, it's how you use it, not the actual website itself.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Facebook has its ups and downs because it's not utilised properly by most.Many are obsessed with sharing pointless memes and more obsessed with friend counts.
All you need to do is delete all the pointless people who don't interact and share shite and bang its much better.
It's not Facebook that's the problem its the way its used by many !
Work out why you don't like it and then eradicate it...then it will be better for you!!
You have a choice on what to follow and what friends you want.

Last edited:

Depends what you do with it. I have had a small cull of sites I follow (mainly of a news satire nature) but still find much of actual interest to me such as local history sites and railway related (current and historic). Will probably cull some of the local news/opinion sites as they basically seem to just whinge about the local council for whom most of them probably voted.

I very rarely put posts on FB - certainly none of a "...look at this wonderful meal we are eating..." nature and share things that amuse me with friends by direct message. Also use both Facebook and Twitter for work and find them of benefit in this respect.

...I expect there was a lot of moaning on the Social Scroll sites when books were invented :)

Conscious that I probably waste more time than I should of FB (same could be said of NSC!) but then I don't waste time watching TV either.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Have to use it for work, although I would probably keep it anyway for Rush Hour Records. It's largely illiterates, racists and the pathologically insecure. However, the Brighton Banter Book (or whatever it's called) and Buzz on Boundary are, occasionally, bizarre enough to become comedy gold.

Facebook has its ups and downs because it's not utilised properly by most.Many are obsessed with sharing pointless memes and more obsessed with friend counts.
All you need to do is delete all the pointless people who don't interact and share shite and bang its much better.
Work out why you don't like it and then eradicate it...then it will be better for you!!

That's a "like" from me, well put sir (or madam).

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
OP - Do it fella and feel all the better for it. Happy New Year mate.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

I'd agree with this. I rarely used FB but had to dip back into it to access numerous open water swimming groups. I'd rarely logged onto FB as I couldn't cope with the narcissistic types but quickly found the mute feature. My news feed is now a combination of mates who I'm interested in hearing about, various gambling and horse racing institutions and a series of swimming groups. There isn't a 'So pissed off' or 'Its days like this when you know who your REAL friends are' post in sight and its all the bether for it.

I've come to realise middle aged women are the main consumers of the site and by far the highest volume of pollution comes from them hun xx. I still use Twitter the most but Brexit has ruined that. It's like a 'whose got the best political ideology' site now and the mute feature is working overtime. You can't win whatever you use, they all have thier bad points.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I need it to keep in touch with friends who live all over different parts of the world.

I don't blame anyone for getting rid if they found themselves getting addicted to it. For me, it's just a way of keeping my contacts. I never use it to post things or stalk other people and I don't give a toss how people might judge my profile.
I guess the way you use Facebook determines your perspective of it. To me, it's just a handy Phone book.

NSC is my online addiction/ bad habit

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just like most things in life, it's not for everyone. I still get a lot of of it and don't see any need to bin it, more than a decade after I joined.

For some people I guess it WOULD be hard to give up. But there are always alternatives, I guess?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have noticed all social media use including NSC reducing in terms of usage in the past couple of years.
Only about 1% of BHA fans regularly log in & post on NSC - the premier BHA fans forum!

Posts on FB about The Albion & on Twitter don’t get any more postings/comments.

There’s a place of course for social media - but you can’t beat getting out there & living life!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here