Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Career criminals scoop £4m Lotto win but are refused payout because

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was about to contradict this viewpoint, on the grounds that as the card owner would have almost certainly reported it stolen and recovered any fraudulent spending, the logical conclusion of your suggestion is that the money would be paid to the credit card company.

Then I read it properly and see it was a DEBIT card, so it almost certainly WAS the card owner's money used to buy the ticket.

So, yes, I'm IN.

Trust you Hansy. 😆😆

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Your point is illogical, because it changes due to a delay in when the cardholder has to settle. It's like saying you don't own your home because the mortgage payments are on credit.

No - the point you thought I was making, would be illogical.

What I meant was, if someone had 'lost' their card, or spotted some irregular activity on it, they'd report it to their card issuer. The card issuer is liable to refund the holder any fraudulent spending. Had the card holder done so, and had his stolen cash repaid, he couldn't THEN claim any moral ownership of the lottery ticket. That was my (obviously poorly made) point.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I have never bought or played or seen an open scratch card in my life, so I was intrigued as to what you need to do to win. Took me about 20 minutes to work out where the winning bit was

However when trying to work out where the winner was I had a little chuckle at Game Number 2

if yours weighs more than theirs - Hey presto your a winner. A bit like '' I bet mine's bigger than yours '' playground games

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have never bought or played or seen an open scratch card in my life, so I was intrigued as to what you need to do to win. Took me about 20 minutes to work out where the winning bit was

However when trying to work out where the winner was I had a little chuckle at Game Number 2

if yours weighs more than theirs - Hey presto your a winner. A bit like '' I bet mine's bigger than yours '' playground games

I was much the same.

Years and years back I saw the scratchcard winning percentages, it was printed in the back of something like The Sporting Life.
T'was the easiest way to give them up and keep that odd £1 in my pocket.

TBH I doubt I'd even buy a £10 scratchcard on a stolen debit card. :lol:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Given that we now live in Broken Britain, you can almost guarantee that the owner of the stolen card will most likely turn out to have a backstory that makes them even more undeserving of the money than the lowlife who stole the card.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Given that we now live in Broken Britain, you can almost guarantee that the owner of the stolen card will most likely turn out to have a backstory that makes them even more undeserving of the money than the lowlife who stole the card.

That’s a depressing thought..

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The report said they bought the winning ticket in Waitrose. Looking at them I'm surprised that suspicions weren't first alerted at the point of sale as they certainly don't fit any Waitrose customer profile. Only two possible reasons for them being in Waitrose, they were either on the rob or shopping on someone else's stolen card.

Jesus.

It's a tiny metro type Waitrose next to Clapham Common Tube station.

The sort of place you buy a sandwich at lunch time.

If they had "class alarms" in there the shop would be perpetually closed.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If it was my card, I'd be contacting the low lives to offer them a chunk of the winnings if we agree to split it (all with a contract of course).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Jesus.

It's a tiny metro type Waitrose next to Clapham Common Tube station.

The sort of place you buy a sandwich at lunch time.

If they had "class alarms" in there the shop would be perpetually closed.

Wasn't there a murder outside that station recently? Sounds like a classy area

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I suspect they know the number and details of the card, but are keeping that for when our two friends eventually find a 'mate' with a bank account who will claim it was their card that was used :wink:

PCI DSS regulations prevent you holding the car details longer than needed, which is often why if you’ve paid for something with a card and require a refund you have to resubmit card details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
4m to the card fraud victim

Prison for the scumbags

Caveat, for the victim to claim the 4m they must be prepared to meet the criminals face to face in the prison visit room, where they are presented with an oversized cheque #scenes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If it was my card, I'd be contacting the low lives to offer them a chunk of the winnings if we agree to split it (all with a contract of course).

The owner would be joining them in jail then, if the card had been reported stolen prior to the purchase of the lottery ticket. Police would then assume that they had given them the card willingly to go on a spend with it during its ''reported stolen period''

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The owner would be joining them in jail then, if the card had been reported stolen prior to the purchase of the lottery ticket. Police would then assume that they had given them the card willingly to go on a spend with it during its ''reported stolen period''
If it was reported stolen.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Wasn't there a murder outside that station recently? Sounds like a classy area
It's London after all and I think that was Clapham South.

To describe Clapham Common as posh because of the house prices or to describe it as dive because of a stabbing are equally inaccurate.

That's the odd thing about living in a capital city. Most "nice" places have rough places within walking distance.

There was someone (ill) running around with a knife outside my front door a few months ago and the police closed all the streets off.

I was at work that day and read about in the papers a fortnight later.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's London after all and I think that was Clapham South.

To describe Clapham Common as posh because of the house prices or to describe it as dive because of a stabbing are equally inaccurate.

It was Clapham Common https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47750198

Years ago, I had temporary job in a housing association whose tenants lived in the roads between Clapham Common and Clapham North. Let's just say that they had a few issues and were probably not the sort of tenants that you'd want living next to you

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It was Clapham Common https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47750198

Years ago, I had temporary job in a housing association whose tenants lived in the roads between Clapham Common and Clapham North. Let's just say that they had a few issues and were probably not the sort of tenants that you'd want living next to you

There was one in Clapham South too, recently and Balham.

I lived in Clapham North for years in a nice road, bought a flat (unbelievable now to think what it cost) but the next street was a problem street. I moved away for a number of reasons, but one deciding factor was that a rumour went round that I was a policeman and got quite a bit of grief walking home.

Went to see one the local "faces" and told him I wasn't next. Next day they were waving at me from their windows.

Clapham North was a bloody odd area - I define it as the bit between Clapham and Brixton, basically Landor Road or "where David Bowie lived".

I say odd rather than dangerous. There was always something going on. From the mentally ill who used to gravitate towards the hospital there (bloke used to go to sleep in the road outside my flat) or the not so secret security services who were looking for the tube bombers.

I don't particularly miss it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What if the card holder is a criminal, too? Would you be happy for the lottery to give £4m to, say, an OAP mugger who hadn't bought a lotto ticket?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here