Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Israel Folau - Christian Martyr

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Expected to be called anti-Semitic but Israel is a homophobe.

But there’s the rub - is someone a homophobe if their religion says it’s a sin, isn’t that religious hatred, calling someone a homophobe for their beliefs (not saying that is the case here), or is it ok to hold those religious beliefs, but not to say them out loud?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Of which Falau has two sleeves done, highlighting his potential hypocrisy. On matters of sexuality Falau takes a very strict interpretation. Re tattoos, not so much. That may well be due to his pacific island heritage though. Tattoos are very much a cultural thing.

My own personal view? Cant argue with what [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] said in post #4.

Well perhaps binge drinking is our cultural thing?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
It's a complete clash of cultures, but we have laws in place and you do have to be very careful what you post and he should've known that. The Bible and the Quran and Torah are very anti-Gay and overtly homophobic books.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Much as with Jacob Rees-Mogg, it's amazing how their apparently deeply held Christian values don't include that whole tolerance thing Christ preached about quite a lot. "Love they neighbour" didn't come with a shed load of caveats.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Much as with Jacob Rees-Mogg, it's amazing how their apparently deeply held Christian values don't include that whole tolerance thing Christ preached about quite a lot. "Love they neighbour" didn't come with a shed load of caveats.

Jesus spoke about seeing a splinter in someone else's eye, whilst ignoring the plank in your own. Let him who is without sin, throw the first stone.
We all need forgiveness.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Does anyone know why he chose to say it at all? Why not just keep those thoughts to himself?

That's where any shred of sympathy I might have for him evaporates - he didn't just chose to have those views, he thought it necessary to air them publicly knowing what the consequences might be. Lots of people have views I would probably disagree with, but I don't know what their views are as they are wise enough to keep controversial thoughts to themselves. If I said to my fourteen twitter followers (one of which weirdly enough is Stephen Fry) gays should go to hell, what those people do to me is entirely of my own making. What happened to Israel Folau is an internet witch hunt entirely of his own making.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just out of interest when does the Brexit season start again?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
No.

He is entitled to believe that homosexuality is a sin in the eyes of God. I believe it isn't.

His reference to the hell awaiting homosexuals, among others, on the face of it may seem aggressive and hateful. From the outside it can appear that way. However, his call, from his religious viewpoint, was to repent and be saved. I don't regard this as the same thing. He was not making a hateful discourse in his own eyes, not like, say, an extremist who calls for all such people to be prosecuted or even put to death.

Cultural norms shift over time. Only half a century ago the warped understanding of the acceptance of a number of things was much different to today. And that lack of reason was aggressive and hateful. We have changed. I do not think Israel Folau is a hateful person. I just think he has a wrong and outdated understanding of salvation and relatedness to the creator. My view might be different of others who say similar things because I believe their views are fueled by hatred.

The decision to ban him has its source not in reason but fear of a political backlash. He should be challenged not banned. That is how we develop a productive discourse in society.

yeah finish his career for him .....being of samoan descent i believe , the land of his fathers will be under water in 20 years but yeah **** it .....finish him off for words.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Between the two, I think Christian Martyr is by far the better player, could definitely do a job for us

Really? I've heard he's not great with crosses.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just out of interest when does the Brexit season start again?

The cast have all confirmed they'll be back for the new season so it should be around soon enough. I hear they get the finale earlier in Europe though so I hope no spoilers.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I sort of agree with this. I'm totally opposed to what he is saying, but I don't think him or Vunipola or Bundee Aki are hateful people. They've just been bought up in a culture in a part of the world where these views are prevalent and their faith is more important to them than their careers. You might silence these views by banning people, you won't stop them though. Tough one for the rugby authorities

Vunipola went to Harrow!

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
https://www.playersvoice.com.au/israel-folau-im-a-sinner-too/#Krz43gESSJh9t5tY.97

He offered to walk away in 2018 knowing that his views contradicted those of his employer (and to be fair those of any right thinking person), he then went and repeated them so I can't see how he could be upset at the outcome (if he in fact even is)

He seems to see it as his job to save gay people: "I think of it this way: you see someone who is about to walk into a hole and have the chance to save him. He might be determined to maintain his course and doesn’t want to hear what you have to say. But if you don’t tell him the truth, as unpopular as it might be, he is going to fall into that hole. What do you do?" Unless I'm reading too much into it and he's just worried about people falling into holes.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Does anyone know why he chose to say it at all? Why not just keep those thoughts to himself?

That's where any shred of sympathy I might have for him evaporates - he didn't just chose to have those views, he thought it necessary to air them publicly knowing what the consequences might be. Lots of people have views I would probably disagree with, but I don't know what their views are as they are wise enough to keep controversial thoughts to themselves. If I said to my fourteen twitter followers (one of which weirdly enough is Stephen Fry) gays should go to hell, what those people do to me is entirely of my own making. What happened to Israel Folau is an internet witch hunt entirely of his own making.

Isn’t that what the person he follows did, “air their views”?

Mind you it got them crucified so I guess losing your place in a rugby team is minor by comparison.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here