Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Bagpipe Sturgeon and a 2010 independence vote.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
No doubt we'll hear Scotland is stronger in that out.

Thought this Brexit melarky was meant to pave way for a stronger UK...

Yes. And they said that the NI border was an irrelevance, we would pay no divorce bill, £350m (or whatever) per week to the NHS, that we would have a simple trade negotiation with the EU as we are already aligned, we would have loads of new trade deals, that the empire would come back blah blah blah.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The SNP's founding principle was independence from the rest of the UK so a referendum for Scotland is never far away. No worse than Farage saying that however much Vote Leave lost by, he would never give up the fight to leave Europe.... while still getting paid of course.

The difference is SNP lost, Leave didn't.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The difference is SNP lost, Leave didn't.

" No worse than Farage saying that however much Vote Leave lost by, he would never give up the fight to leave Europe"

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
" No worse than Farage saying that however much Vote Leave lost by, he would never give up the fight to leave Europe"

Vote Leave didn't lose though - that's a fact of life. What was said about a hypothetical situation is irrelevant. Churchill said we would never give up too - we would fight them on our beaches, fight them on our landing fields - but we didn't, because we didn't have too. We won, and the Germans didn't get near our beaches or landing fields (close maybe, but not quite the cigar).

Nobody criticises Churchill for that, but remainers will moan about Farage whatever happens; that's another fact of life.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Nobody criticises Churchill for that, but remainers will moan about Farage whatever happens; that's another fact of life.

Always strikes me as strange, the sheer number of posts claiming the person who is vilified in so many posts, is an irrelevance.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We don’t have nationalities anymore so it’s all a bit pointless. Half the Scottish population lives in England, about a third live elsewhere and the rest live in Scotland as a minority amongst many other nations that have come to live there. Same in England and any other western nation with an empire legacy. You can practically buy a British passport these days if you’ve got the Only Fools boxset. The end of the Nation state is nigh, it’s been dying for decades. Look no further than the volume of ‘British’ getting other passports following Brexit.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Vote Leave didn't lose though - that's a fact of life. What was said about a hypothetical situation is irrelevant. Churchill said we would never give up too - we would fight them on our beaches, fight them on our landing fields - but we didn't, because we didn't have too. We won, and the Germans didn't get near our beaches or landing fields (close maybe, but not quite the cigar).

The SNP lost the vote but will always campaign for another chance, its their reason for existing. Farage is now campaigning to get the Brexit he wants but would have been equally happy to carry on blaming the EU for all of the UK's ills.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Any word from Nicola on how much Scotland would pay for the "divorce bill" with England, and where she stands on a Hard Border with England?

Surely we've all learned now that these matters needs to be properly thought through before just making an emotive case for independence.

Also, can we stop with the nonsense about them being stronger when they stand alone from England, and yet stronger when they are part of a union with the rest of Europe. Are you for independence or unity? Ah, independence from England but unity with Europe. Truth is that you just hate the English, come on, we all know it, just say it.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We would have to stop subsidizing them. They would have to fund their own budget deficit which is running at about £20bn a year. Fund their own infrastructure and state apparatus, negotiate a trade deal with their biggest customer, eg us, or actually hope the EU have because otherwise they would need to trade on WTO rules presumably? (Assuming the EU let them in which they are not keen on)
Float their own currency or join the euro. Settle their outstanding debt with the UK, separate all of their 'British' systems from ours. Government procurement etc. Create their own defence force and of course equip it. A Border force presumably? etc etc. Scottish Post?

If they vote for that lot then let em. I would hope but not expect that if this is the route they choose that we treat them like any other nation and seek to ensure we get the best possible terms with no favours offered.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
So have they solved the issue whereby Spain will automatically veto an independent Scotland joining the EU as it would set an uncomfortable precedent regarding Catalonia?

Also, I thought an independent Scotland would not be allowed to join NATO because of the SNP stance on nuclear weapons?

If the rest of the UK is still chafing from the 'divorce agreement' with the EU then some of the hard lessons learnt should be applied to our Scottish friends. Perhaps they should be careful what they wish for ...

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Good luck Scotland if they do choose to break free and then manage to region the EU I will seriously be considering moving north of the boarder and applying for citizenship

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The SNP lost the vote but will always campaign for another chance, its their reason for existing. Farage is now campaigning to get the Brexit he wants but would have been equally happy to carry on blaming the EU for all of the UK's ills.

I wonder if they ever got another referendum and won it, would wee Krankie fail to come to an agreement about leaving, and would Westminster MPs then just kick it around until (they hope) it went away?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Good luck Scotland if they do choose to break free and then manage to region the EU I will seriously be considering moving north of the boarder and applying for citizenship

Ah, but would they want and cope with the huge amount of immigration ?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
So have they solved the issue whereby Spain will automatically veto an independent Scotland joining the EU as it would set an uncomfortable precedent regarding Catalonia?

Also, I thought an independent Scotland would not be allowed to join NATO because of the SNP stance on nuclear weapons?

If the rest of the UK is still chafing from the 'divorce agreement' with the EU then some of the hard lessons learnt should be applied to our Scottish friends. Perhaps they should be careful what they wish for ...

Spain have never said they would veto an independent Scotland joining the EU.

It's bit of a myth I'm afraid.

I think they'd prefer to re-apply and not assume automatic membership.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here