Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Dry January [and beyond...]

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Personally I think the 0.5% beers etc. May work if you want to cut down consumption but do not want to quit the habit.

Still reaching for a beer in whatever circumstance you are used to doing so is going to perpetuate the habit, although you would reduce the cycle / ill effects of alcohol consumption I guess.

If you want to quit, I’m not sure how it impacts on that. E.g. if someone wanted to quit smoking, and they said they were going to keep smoking but they had very low nicotine cigarettes, that wouldn’t sound like a great plan.

Lots of people just want to cut down alcohol consumption but maybe are not comfortable with the idea of quitting entirely, so might work for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Personally I think the 0.5% beers etc. May work if you want to cut down consumption but do not want to quit the habit.

Still reaching for a beer in whatever circumstance you are used to doing so is going to perpetuate the habit, although you would reduce the cycle / ill effects of alcohol consumption I guess.

If you want to quit, I’m not sure how it impacts on that. E.g. if someone wanted to quit smoking, and they said they were going to keep smoking but they had very low nicotine cigarettes, that wouldn’t sound like a great plan.

Lots of people just want to cut down alcohol consumption but maybe are not comfortable with the idea of quitting entirely, so might work for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly what I was thinking........thing is I rarely drink beer anyway, wine is more my thing. Think I’ll just give it a miss.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
What’s the view on alcohol free beer on here ? Just interested as to whether those on the wagon think it’s quasi-cheating or not ? One or two of them taste OK in small doses but psychologically feels a little bit like the vaping equivalent for a smoker...........

Some of the alcohol free beers/lagers are absolutely awful. The nearest I can get to the real thing is Heneken 0,0 - which is 0.05%. You'd have to drink a petrol tankers worth to get sloshed, by which point you'd be dead from hyper hydration anyway.. The Budweiser 0% is also drinkable, but it's that at best.

My main target for all of this was to cut down on my actual alcohol intake. It's the alcohol which is bad for you, not the words 'lager' or 'beer'. I love beer (and wine) - so this is the nearest I'm going to allow myself to get. I've tried alcohol free wine but seriously I'd rather drink what comes out of the washer jets on my car! :sick:

Do I see alcohol free beer or wine as cheating? Absolutely not. Oddly, though, I don't have the same take on vaping as the vapes can often contain as much nicotine as an actual cigarette... Still, vaping cuts out all the nasty crap cigarettes contain, so fair play to them.

Just got back from Pizza Express (my first time there since early December), where I always have a large glass of Pinot Grigio (or two) with my meal. Today it was a bottle of 'Bavaria 0.0%' which was bloody disgusting, but I broke another 'habit' at least....

As an aside, I've had no huge desire to drink during the first 30 days - but last night, wow.. I was 'clucking' !! Told the Missus and she said 'Oh yeah, Saturday night, end of your 6-day working week, nice bath, into your comfies, MoTD, chill on the sofa... I can see why you'd be desperate for a bottle of wine or some ice cold beers.." Yeah, cheers for that - thanks for reminding me. :annoyed:

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some of the alcohol free beers/lagers are absolutely awful. The nearest I can get to the real thing is Heneken 0,0 - which is 0.05%. You'd have to drink a petrol tankers worth to get sloshed, by which point you'd be dead from hyper hydration! The Budweiser 0% is also drinkable, but it's that at best.

My main target for all of this was to cut down on my actual alcohol intake. It's the alcohol which is bad for you, not the words 'lager' or 'beer'. I love beer (and wine) - so this is the nearest I'm going to allow myself to get. I've tried alcohol free wine but seriously I'd rather drink what comes out of the washer jets on my car! :sick:

Do I see alcohol free beer or wine as cheating? Absolutely not. Oddly, though, I don't have the same take on vaping as the vapes can often contain as much nicotine as an actual cigarette...

Ta. Only ones I quite like the taste of are San Miguel 0.0 and Becks Blue........but can take or leave them. Happy with things like lime and soda or just water, but nice to have a change of taste sometimes.

Anyway, pretty much through day 3 now, only time I really fancied a drink is when I was cooking. Love a glass of wine while slaving over a hot stove [emoji23][emoji23]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What’s the view on alcohol free beer on here ? Just interested as to whether those on the wagon think it’s quasi-cheating or not ? One or two of them taste OK in small doses but psychologically feels a little bit like the vaping equivalent for a smoker...........

It wasn't something I'd even considered, until I read a few posts on this thread and on my next visit to Tesco I checked out the booze-free booze section. I was amazed at how many options there are now, and the range in Tesco seemed to be pretty evenly split between 0.0% and 0.5%. I figured, for me, the 0.5% is cheating but decided not to buy an of the true alcohol-free stuff as I guessed it still contains more calories than my lime cordial and sparkling water that is my go-to now.

I'm intrigued though, and will give some of them a try in the near future.

I'm going to be testing my "no drinking until March 9th" resolve as I've just booked a week away in the sun for the February half-term. I'm not sure how I'll get on without a 7am pint in the airport nor numerous mini bottles of red wine on the flight for a start.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It wasn't something I'd even considered, until I read a few posts on this thread and on my next visit to Tesco I checked out the booze-free booze section. I was amazed at how many options there are now, and the range in Tesco seemed to be pretty evenly split between 0.0% and 0.5%. I figured, for me, the 0.5% is cheating but decided not to buy an of the true alcohol-free stuff as I guessed it still contains more calories than my lime cordial and sparkling water that is my go-to now.

I'm intrigued though, and will give some of them a try in the near future.

I'm going to be testing my "no drinking until March 9th" resolve as I've just booked a week away in the sun for the February half-term. I'm not sure how I'll get on without a 7am pint in the airport nor numerous mini bottles of red wine on the flight for a start.

All lower-calorie than the normal stuff I suspect. The San Miguel has 24kcal/100ml, so just over 100 in a pint (about half a normal pint I’d guess).

Travelling will be a likely problem for me - ‘bored time’ in airports and on planes (particularly long haul), with access to as much free booze as I can handle. Hopefully arranging to avoid any work trips for a month.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Happy with things like lime and soda or just water, but nice to have a change of taste sometimes.

Try Fentiman's Ginger Ale as a 'top' on a few things. Has a nice kick to it. I've also started lobbing a bit of fresh mint on top which makes it more interesting! They had some in Tesco the other day, reduced from 89p to 22p.. It wouldn't scan so the woman just tutted, rolled her eyes, then threw it into my carrier bag and smiled. Why does free stuff always taste so nice? :D

Oh, and Becks Blue is decent stuff. Forgot about that. :thumbsup:

I haven't travelled much lately (lack of cash!), but when I did was usually Business/First - and I always used to cane the free drinks. They used to have a Grey Goose Bar in the Virgin Clubhouse at Heathrow and after about an hour and a half in there I once got on the plane, fell into my seat, and slept the whole journey to Dubai. Woke up to 40 degree heat and a stinking hangover. Bloody idiot....

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Try Fentiman's Ginger Ale as a 'top' on a few things. Has a nice kick to it. I've also started lobbing a bit of fresh mint on top which makes it more interesting! They had some in Tesco the other day, reduced from 89p to 22p.. It wouldn't scan so the woman just tutted, rolled her eyes, then threw it into my carrier bag and smiled. Why does free stuff always taste so nice? :D

Oh, and Becks Blue is decent stuff. Forgot about that. :thumbsup:

I haven't travelled much lately (lack of cash!), but when I did was usually Business/First - and I always used to cane the free drinks. They used to have a Tanqueray Bar in the Virgin Clubhouse at Heathrow and after about an hour and a half in there I once got on the plane, fell into my seat, and slept the whole journey to Dubai. Woke up to 40 degree heat and a stinking hangover. Bloody idiot....

Travelling is an abstainer’s nightmare. I do a lot of it with work, all long haul and all in business (can be as much as once a month or more), so I’ve got the lounges on the ground and free-flowing booze in the air [emoji24][emoji24]

Just been to the land of the mojito funnily enough (hols not work), only had one as I don’t like fresh mint !

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I have a really cold Beck's Blue on occasions when I "feel like a beer", maybe in the same way people hew nicotine gum or have a e-cig? Normally my preference is simply soda & lime, but as [MENTION=35524]Knocky's Nose[/MENTION] said it's not the words it is the alcohol. Had a proper beer (Harvey's) on Friday but one difference was I was very aware of what I was drinking and only had a couple whereas previously it's would have been "Hey it's Friday night" and several more would have been consumed.

Every credit to those who are just trying to change a few things to improve health, lifestyle, finances etc, I, for one, am enjoying the journey!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Did those back on it find they got pissed quicker when they had their first drink?

Still off it, BTW.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I had a pint of Hophead and a half of ipa at tea time yesterday, felt the effects walking home. Just had a glass of wine with dinner, which I thought was very well managed given I had to endure over 2 hours of BHA on the TV.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Did those back on it find they got pissed quicker when they had their first drink?

Still off it, BTW.
Last weekend I only had 1 tin on Friday but did notice a slight light headedness. Had a tin and 1/2 bottle of red Saturday and a single tin Sunday. Have not had any during this week and feel I may even be able to stop now as what’s the point in just having the odd drink. Only problem is young un is pitching up this weekend and we normally cane the double gins into the early hours. Big test of willpower on the line :(

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Day 7 today. Not been as hard as I expected........................couple of 'wish I could have a drink' moments (when cooking, watching the game last night and the usual Saturday evening on the sofa times) but otherwise not really a problem. Even went to an after-work drinks thing for a birthday and was the only person there not drinking (most seemed to be in 'post dry January cane it' mode). Got a neighbours 50th tonight, I've designated myself driver

Odd thing is I'm not sure I actually feel much, if any, better - was maybe hoping to be clearer-headed, alert etc. Only slight concern therefore is will I get to think that if it's not having much apparent benefit then I might as well get back on it.......anyone else had similar experiences ? First couple of days sleep pattern was all over the place but that has noticeably settled down in the last couple of nights.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Odd thing is I'm not sure I actually feel much, if any, better - was maybe hoping to be clearer-headed, alert etc. Only slight concern therefore is will I get to think that if it's not having much apparent benefit then I might as well get back on it.......anyone else had similar experiences ? First couple of days sleep pattern was all over the place but that has noticeably settled down in the last couple of nights.

I've found before that when I stopped drinking, my sleep was worse immediately afterwards leading me to think this whole "your sleep is better if you don't drink" thing was bollocks but, as you say, I found it subsequently improved again.

The main benefit for me is weight loss as, since I stopped running, I've piled it on so not drinking is just part of consuming fewer calories for a while, and it's certainly working for me with over a stone off in four weeks. I appreciate you won't have the same goal there however!

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London

Genuine question, and I'm not having a go - but is that a joke, or would you have done that on a trip with the kids? (presume you're taking them given it's a half term trip). Only asking because it's hard to gauge from this thread what people's normal drink amounts are, and what is prompting them to give up. From reading the thread it seems as though going dry is something everyone should do, but then you read about some people's drinking habits and realise your own aren't anyway near that (again, absolutely not saying you have a problem, but that comment jumped out at me a bit). Maybe some people don't notice the health / sleep benefits because they didn't really drink that much in the first place?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've found before that when I stopped drinking, my sleep was worse immediately afterwards leading me to think this whole "your sleep is better if you don't drink" thing was bollocks but, as you say, I found it subsequently improved again.

The main benefit for me is weight loss as, since I stopped running, I've piled it on so not drinking is just part of consuming fewer calories for a while, and it's certainly working for me with over a stone off in four weeks. I appreciate you won't have the same goal there however!

Experienced the same with the sleeping - first 2-3 nights weren't good at all, but that's already much better. Don't think I've lost any weight, but feel a bit less bloated perhaps. V interested to see the impact on my running - I've got a few targets ahead

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here