Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Dry January [and beyond...]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What do you suggest, August?

Those long summer evening will just fly by completely sober.

I’ve had dry periods, typically the 4 weeks in a run up to a marathon, and I’ve done mid-Aug to mid-September.

As for “what do I suggest”; I’d say moderation, a balanced diet, and exercise.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's not so much January for me, it's more the whole "new year, new start" thing I suppose. I needed to change direction on a few things and it always seems a good, if somewhat cliched, time to do it.

I think for a lot of people, it's a combination of the new year and the fact that they might have drunk WAY too much over the Christmas period, so they decide to knock the booze on the head. I haven't done it myself, but watching the Adrian Chiles programme did make me think about what I drink as well as the attitudes towards drinkers who give it a rest for a while (and non-drinkers). The drinking culture seems pretty strong, but it seems as though it's on the wane.

Well done to all who are seeing it through.

Fair enough. I guess if everyone is doing it at the same time there’s camaraderie and a support network as well.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Well... here I am.

Day 30 and I haven't touched a single drop of alcohol in any one of those days. I'm clear headed, feel miles better in myself, am way more productive, am sleeping better, and feel way more "in control" of everything. I am happening to things, rather than things happening to me - if that makes sense.

I've stopped drinking before a few times, but never in this way. I now know lots more about the science side of alcohol, the marketing machine behind it, and how the odds are stacked against anyone who dares not to drink. Being a belligerent 40 odd year old that rather appeals to me! :D

Seriously, if you're drinking too much (and if you are, you absolutely know you are, and it does play on your mind almost every morning..) do have a look at the Alcohol Experiment. It's FREE and it's brilliant. It's not 'preachy', it's just factual and informative. No pressure, just education. It'll change your thinking about alcohol....

https://learn.thisnakedmind.com/the-alcohol-experiment-registration

The thought of never drinking again, ever, still doesn't float my boat - but in time it might. For now, I may have one or two drinks at the end of the month when I've lost some weight - but nothing until then.

For those wondering if the website above is all happy-clappy, on Day 30 she actually encourages you to get pissed! You'll have to find that out for yourself though. :lolol:

Well done to everyone who has done Dry January.... especially those who have had bugger all support from friends and family, like me. :glare: Sometimes the best journeys are done alone.

MonkeyGland

Jul 3, 2008
Nearly there now and have to say its been a positive experience (as so many people have shared their own personal and mainly positive reflections). So the question is now, how many are continuing on "Dry" for a while and how many have already stockpiled their fridges for tomorrow evening?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nearly there now and have to say its been a positive experience (as so many people have shared their own personal and mainly positive reflections). So the question is now, how many are continuing on "Dry" for a while and how many have already stockpiled their fridges for tomorrow evening?

March 9th is going to be my next drinking day, but only if I've shed enough weight by then.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Like you guys I'm at Day 31, was only going to do a week as that was the bet then some p**** went and sponsored me, so raised £140 for Cancer Research, Lost 9 1/2lbs and feel great, will be drinking at weekends (Friday Night and Saturday only) and aim to lose another 5lbs in February by introducing a bit more exercise.

Congratulations to all of those who suceeded, those who tried and those who may try going forward, top effort ... cheers!

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I’m still going and survived a night of skittles at the pub last weekend with just a couple of bottles of Becks Blue (no alcohol). It has completely transformed me in that I am up normally now between 5.45 and 6.45 and have more energy than I know what to do with. Before I was lucky to be compos mentis by about 8.30.

Mrs DS has also played a blinder and found an alcohol free gin called Seedlip. It may be the fact that we are not drinking but to us it tastes just like a normal botanical gin when you splash in the tonic, ice and lime. It does cost about the same as a bottle of real gin but still worthwhile.

We are not naive enough to think we can stick this out forever especially when you have a couple of weeks away on hols and then come back and try and give up the daily ration of sauce. However we are hoping that we can just have a couple on a Saturday and Sunday evening without touching anything the rest of the week.

It could be that not feeling tired and lethargic in the morning after a few sherbets might just be enough to convince us to go full on teetotal.....watch this space.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Still going here . . . I suppose I do feel better in many ways, although a few physical ailments haven't miraculously disappeared . . . . maybe the sauce was masking them!

playing cards ( canasta) tomorrow night, and will drive, have a few AF beers, looking forward to it.

I will start drinking again, but only with something to drink for, as opposed to just caning it because I can . . . every day.

I've not really lost much weight, but am eatining like a horse as its been cold and I'm on my feet most of the day in a cold workshop.

moderation is the key . . . possibly harder than taking a month off ? time will tell.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Dry Jan done, cannot say that I am in a desperate rush to get back on the sauce, in fact being proper pissed and having a hangover is not appealing at all. I do fancy a glass of red with dinner though.

Mindful drinking over total abstinence will be the order of the day for me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’m still going and survived a night of skittles at the pub last weekend with just a couple of bottles of Becks Blue (no alcohol). It has completely transformed me in that I am up normally now between 5.45 and 6.45 and have more energy than I know what to do with. Before I was lucky to be compos mentis by about 8.30.

Mrs DS has also played a blinder and found an alcohol free gin called Seedlip. It may be the fact that we are not drinking but to us it tastes just like a normal botanical gin when you splash in the tonic, ice and lime. It does cost about the same as a bottle of real gin but still worthwhile.

We are not naive enough to think we can stick this out forever especially when you have a couple of weeks away on hols and then come back and try and give up the daily ration of sauce. However we are hoping that we can just have a couple on a Saturday and Sunday evening without touching anything the rest of the week.

It could be that not feeling tired and lethargic in the morning after a few sherbets might just be enough to convince us to go full on teetotal.....watch this space.
[MENTION=159]Stumpy Tim[/MENTION] is a big advocate of Seedlip I believe.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Dry Jan done
Is my calendar wrong?
cannot say that I am in a desperate rush to get back on the sauce, in fact being proper pissed and having a hangover is not appealing at all. I do fancy a glass of red with dinner though.

That's alcohol for me :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm nearly there too, and am looking forward to opening a nice bottle tomorrow night.
I did have one day off -- the trip to Manchester -- but I'd factored that in at the outset. In the last few years, I've moved to only drinking weekend days (which I've been pretty good at enforcing, although by no means ruthlessly so), so 'Dryurary' was pretty easy. I will probably seek to repeat it (or some equivalent) into the future, but I really don't want to give up drinking, especially wine.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
On another note a few years back I had some blood tests for something, can't remember what (Alzeimers?), and it showed up a slightly dodgy liver reading. Had to lay off alcohol for 3 months at which point the tests showed ok so it must have been some anomaly with the original test. Needless to say I was straight back on the booze which is why I am not overly confident of quitting completely after just a month but you never know.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Exactly this. We have to be careful of mindfulnees though, possibly a darker place than alcoholism :mad:

Dry Jan done, cannot say that I am in a desperate rush to get back on the sauce, in fact being proper pissed and having a hangover is not appealing at all. I do fancy a glass of red with dinner though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
RIGHT......... It’s dry January for me from this point on.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Well... here I am.

Day 30 and I haven't touched a single drop of alcohol in any one of those days. I'm clear headed, feel miles better in myself, am way more productive, am sleeping better, and feel way more "in control" of everything. I am happening to things, rather than things happening to me - if that makes sense.

I've stopped drinking before a few times, but never in this way. I now know lots more about the science side of alcohol, the marketing machine behind it, and how the odds are stacked against anyone who dares not to drink. Being a belligerent 40 odd year old that rather appeals to me! :D

Seriously, if you're drinking too much (and if you are, you absolutely know you are, and it does play on your mind almost every morning..) do have a look at the Alcohol Experiment. It's FREE and it's brilliant. It's not 'preachy', it's just factual and informative. No pressure, just education. It'll change your thinking about alcohol....

https://learn.thisnakedmind.com/the-alcohol-experiment-registration

The thought of never drinking again, ever, still doesn't float my boat - but in time it might. For now, I may have one or two drinks at the end of the month when I've lost some weight - but nothing until then.

For those wondering if the website above is all happy-clappy, on Day 30 she actually encourages you to get pissed! You'll have to find that out for yourself though. :lolol:

Well done to everyone who has done Dry January.... especially those who have had bugger all support from friends and family, like me. :glare: Sometimes the best journeys are done alone.

Well done @Knocky’s Nose

You are without doubt the most enthusiastic AE link share yet! Maybe we’ll see you in one of Annie’s motivational vids??

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Well done @Knocky’s Nose

You are without doubt the most enthusiastic AE link share yet! Maybe we’ll see you in one of Annie’s motivational vids??

No chance! I'm not good looking enough to star in any videos, unless they're for the blind.

I wouldn't ever regard myself as 'enthusiastic' either. I'm a very sceptical person when it comes to all these self help happy-clappy subjects and am usually the first to press delete, especially when I hear an American voice (sorry Americans) - but this is such a low pressure, informative, interesting 'thing' which comes in as large or small a dose as you want. You can jump in feet first and join the forums, fill in the daily diaries and so on - or just read the daily email and watch the video, which is what I did. On the way to work every morning, with a coffee in the cup holder, I'd pop in the Apple AirBuds - say 'Siri.. Speak Screen' and listen to him read me the email - and then press play on the video and listen to it. It didn't even take any time out of my day!

My intention is to put no pressure on myself and loosely aim for a dry February. I've got no desire to drink at the moment, but I may have a beer with my curry after the Burnley game on the 9th. I'll see at the time, but I've a feeling I won't have one...

Thanks again to [MENTION=28232]jonnyrovers[/MENTION] for pointing me in the direction of AE. For all those who fancy a stab at it, it's not the 'Dry January Experiment' - it's the Alcohol Experiment, and it starts whenever you want it to - and lasts 30 days.

Good Luck. Enjoy it if you do it. :thumbsup:

Stumpy Tim

No chance! I'm not good looking enough to star in any videos, unless they're for the blind.

I wouldn't ever regard myself as 'enthusiastic' either. I'm a very sceptical person when it comes to all these self help happy-clappy subjects and am usually the first to press delete, especially when I hear an American voice (sorry Americans) - but this is such a low pressure, informative, interesting 'thing' which comes in as large or small a dose as you want. You can jump in feet first and join the forums, fill in the daily diaries and so on - or just read the daily email and watch the video, which is what I did. On the way to work every morning, with a coffee in the cup holder, I'd pop in the Apple AirBuds - say 'Siri.. Speak Screen' and listen to him read me the email - and then press play on the video and listen to it. It didn't even take any time out of my day!

My intention is to put no pressure on myself and loosely aim for a dry February. I've got no desire to drink at the moment, but I may have a beer with my curry after the Burnley game on the 9th. I'll see at the time, but I've a feeling I won't have one...

Thanks again to [MENTION=28232]jonnyrovers[/MENTION] for pointing me in the direction of AE. For all those who fancy a stab at it, it's not the 'Dry January Experiment' - it's the Alcohol Experiment, and it starts whenever you want it to - and lasts 30 days.

Good Luck. Enjoy it if you do it. :thumbsup:
If you like that kind of thing, try One Year No Beer. The Facebook group alone is helpful.

Anyway, all done now. Due to go out to dinner with the wife tonight and was planning on having a glass of champagne before getting back on the tonic water. Managed to pick up a cold though, so might not bother after all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here