Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal v Man City

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Damn. I think we needed that to go in. Keep going, Arsenal. You can do this! (Exhaust yourselves chasing a lost cause, I mean ....)

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
No, it’s not easy. Not easy at all. Money means he can buy quality players, but as [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] says half the beauty of this team is that they all work so hard. The way they close down the ball and win it back then use their time with the ball to recover is fantastic. The sheer determination, speed and aggression they play with is an example to almost all others in the league. The way the team operates both going forward and backwards is the result of hours and hours of work with a coach who has a philosophy that has proven at three clubs it’s almost unstoppable. And a lot of that isn’t just down to the money they’ve spent. I genuinely think this season is as good as it gets in terms of being a complete team.

If Pep took over a mid table team that team wouldn’t be as successful as Man City because they wouldn’t have the individual quality that makes the difference at the top level. But they’d still be massively improved by him without a doubt.
I repeat.. I wonder if they would be so successful without their rich sponsors...

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It's easy to be a genius with unlimited resources. Wonder where they would be without their rich sponsors.

I don't buy into this genius hyperbole, he's not a genius pound for pound, that honour probably belongs a lot further down the leagues, look at the season Luton are having for example....but in defence of any big team manager, a significant part of earning your dollars is ego management, dressing room management and I imagine Pep is pretty good at that, so while he may not be fit to lace the boots of Mr Nathan Jones, he's made a good all round fist of managing the purchase of the Premier League title.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fitness = intensity. Not seen a game where we have been comparative to either team . Even last week we sat back for 40 minutes and invited pressure . I really hope the penny has dropped that this is not how you beat a tip 6 team.

Have a look at the stats from any game where a bottom half side has beaten a top 6 team and you will see sub 30% possession, limited chances, with about 20+ on your own goal. It requires a huge amount of good fortune and last ditch defending with no other choice but to soak up pressure.

Our players haven't lacked intensity in any game I have seen this season (I wasn't at West Brom, Huddersfield or Leicester away). In my opinion we've not invited pressure, we've been under pressure. There is a difference, what happens in our games isn't all within our control, I'm sure some are convinced it is.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Have a look at the stats from any game where a bottom half side has beaten a top 6 team and you will see sub 30% possession, limited chances, with about 20+ on your own goal. It requires a huge amount of good fortune and last ditch defending with no other choice but to soak up pressure.

Our players haven't lacked intensity in any game I have seen this season (I wasn't at West Brom, Huddersfield or Leicester away). In my opinion we've not invited pressure, we've been under pressure. There is a difference, what happens in our games isn't all within our control, I'm sure some are convinced it is.

Arsenal away we invited pressure.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I do hope we are not going to be on the end of a backlash!

Arsenal are hurting and the players getting a lot of stick - at some point there will be a reaction.

A lot of the criticism of Arsenal is that they aren’t hurt enough by bad defeats. Let’s hope that’s true.

larus

Would we be where we are without our 'rich sponsor'?

IMO, the main benefit of our sponsor has been to get us back owning our own ground after another ‘rich spnsor’ royally fecked us over.

Of course TB has done a lot more by covering the on-going losses as well, but we aren’t the only club where this happens.

The point I’m trying to make is you can’t compare the cash injection into Citeh in the same vein as TB has done for us. Theirs is an obscene amount of money - more on their backs than we won’t on the stadium. Just a whole different league, so Pep may be a very good manager, but I wonder how he would do with a league 1 squad.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
But will CH see a point against Arsenal as a good result and revert back to our defensive style against the 'better' teams.
This is tricky, we may get a point by defending, we may get a point by attacking.
We have a chance of getting all 3 by attacking but sit back if we go 1 up and even a poor Arsenal low on confidence will rip us apart.
I've all confused myself now.
But I think if we play to our best we could well win on Sunday.

CH can still play a defensive style but with a pressing game - don’t give them time on the ball and it makes it harder for them to open us up - then see where the game takes us from there !

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
IMO, the main benefit of our sponsor has been to get us back owning our own ground after another ‘rich spnsor’ royally fecked us over.

Of course TB has done a lot more by covering the on-going losses as well, but we aren’t the only club where this happens.

The point I’m trying to make is you can’t compare the cash injection into Citeh in the same vein as TB has done for us. Theirs is an obscene amount of money - more on their backs than we won’t on the stadium. Just a whole different league, so Pep may be a very good manager, but I wonder how he would do with a league 1 squad.
Sensible response and in line with my thinking.... Tony has been great but doesn't have the deep pockets of the top 6....our signings have been prudent but not earth shattering... The question is do we want to be top 6 and who will foot the bill...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here