Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anyone done a history of their family investigation?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I managed to trace my mums side all the way back to 837 where my ancestors were related to the last king of Scotland and the earl of oxford. Crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Traced my dad's line back to 1700 in Sussex moved along the A 272 Generally Ag Labs also pawnbrokers and mayor in Rye If you are in the Weald a site called theweald is great for local names

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The only bit I know is that, on my mum's side, they came to Brighton from Northern Italy around 1870.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
All farmers and teachers it seems. I love history but not terribly into ancestry simply because there’s so little detail about the individuals concerned. I’d love to have known more than just a name, couple of dates, occupation and that’s it. Be different if you knew of their beliefs, personality, favourite book, hobbies and so forth but of course all that’s lost. I’ve been banging on about older generation in my family now writing all this shite down and have been collecting to some extent for future generations. I don’t have kids and have implored nieces and nephew, god children etc to do so but sadly they’re just not interested and it won’t be long now before it’s too late. Which is a shame because I was interested in my grandparents, great grandparents as people so asked lots of questions when I was a teenager and wrote things down. Sadly though, this disinterest from younger generations will probably mean anyone in say 2100 looking into our family history will just have the standard name number and rank data that’s all I’ve got to go on for my ancestors I.e. nothing about the actual people and the lives they led. That’s the bit I’ve always liked anyway.

That's a shame, but I believe you can donate your research to the Sussex Family History Group. Distant cousins may be interested in your great grandparents, as may the younger generations eventually - I didn't get into this until I was nearly 60!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I have gone back to 1746 on dads side. Fairly easy as they were Shetlanders so it’s a LOT of Scandinavian. I tell my kids they’re Vikings.

On mums side...all got a bit odd. My Nan, it turns out, was a Jew from Poland who fled to England to avoid the Nazis. Now, that’s all OK but I NEVER knew. She had a cut glass English accent and raised my Mum as a catholic. Apparently she was either afraid of Antisemitism or was shamed of her Jewishness.

The rules on being Jewish are that it comes down through the mothers line. Which Means I’m Jewish.

I am a Catholic. My kids are Catholic, I went to De la Salle for gods sake!

But...hey...I’m actually Jewish. Who knew.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My grandfather came about from a dalliance by the local count in Perugia, Umbria, Italy and one of his young chambermaids. So I could go back to him as I know his name and the rest would take me back to the Royal House of Savoy.

I do have that regal, superior look of course.

Ps I spelt count correctly.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have gone back to 1746 on dads side. Fairly easy as they were Shetlanders so it’s a LOT of Scandinavian. I tell my kids they’re Vikings.

On mums side...all got a bit odd. My Nan, it turns out, was a Jew from Poland who fled to England to avoid the Nazis. Now, that’s all OK but I NEVER knew. She had a cut glass English accent and raised my Mum as a catholic. Apparently she was either afraid of Antisemitism or was shamed of her Jewishness.

The rules on being Jewish are that it comes down through the mothers line. Which Means I’m Jewish.

So I take it you will be changing allegiances to tottingham? At least you will have a team that actually win games and stuff

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
So I take it you will be changing allegiances to tottingham? At least you will have a team that actually win games and stuff

Thinking of emigrating to Israel now. I’m eligible after all.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All my Dad's family are West Sussex in the Steyning and Ashurst parishes, and his mother's side from Twineham, Wineham and Cuckfield.

I had my dna done for a Christmas present which came out 67% SE England (unsurprisingly), 26% Germanic (I blames those Angles & Saxons) and 7% Norwegian.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
All my Dad's family are West Sussex in the Steyning and Ashurst parishes, and his mother's side from Twineham, Wineham and Cuckfield.

I had my dna done for a Christmas present which came out 67% SE England (unsurprisingly), 26% Germanic (I blames those Angles & Saxons) and 7% Norwegian.

The seven percent Norwegian is known as “ sneaky Olaf” in genealogy circles.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton

Sure there are lots of similar stories. A family friend tried to find out his history but was getting nowhere, but it turned out his Jewish parents had changed their name from Montag to Munday to avoid sounding less German after moving to england post war.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We are doing mine and my wives at the moment, managed to get quite a few generations back so far, found out that I'm probably related on my mother side to an infamous smuggler, need to 100% confirm this though, 95% at the moment.

On my Dad's side there is the main supplier of ferrets for the trenches in WW1 which were used to kill the rats.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We are doing mine and my wives at the moment, managed to get quite a few generations back so far, found out that I'm probably related on my mother side to an infamous smuggler, need to 100% confirm this though, 95% at the moment.

On my Dad's side there is the main supplier of ferrets for the trenches in WW1 which were used to kill the rats.

Am I right in thinking your surname is quite old in Sussex circles :thumbsup:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The Ancestry site is good if you have some recent details of your family history.

Although, looking at mine, it seems that even some official records are incorrect and even that some folk weren't sure of their own ages when it came to census time.

I'm finding the main issue is some of the handwriting is very hard to read, when its written in block capitals its fine but there are lots in joined up lower case which I'm sure has resulted in my surname changing in some generations. What has amazes me from looking at old censuses is the amount of people who lived in houses, lots seemed to have whole families of boarders and when you look at the houses on google you wonder how they could fit so many people in.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
On my names side we are actually originated from near Ashford in Kent. It also does depends if you include the last letter or not.

Cheers, it's just I was talking to my dad last night, who's into this genealogy gig, I mentioned your surname to him, and he said about it had been around for a while, especially in Sussex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here