Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andone interview in the Athletic

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Nah not really, sometimes I'm godlike, sometimes a little potterbitch, usually something in between. I dont feel bad about myself so I can consider looking at myself in 3D now and then and find something a bit silly.

You've had a very strange 48 hours on this board

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
I'd still have him. I can remember not long ago everyone spaffing over him niggling defenders and being a right little nuisance. Yet now that very attitude has turned people on him. Funny ole game.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Nah not really, sometimes I'm godlike, sometimes a little potterbitch, usually something in between. I dont feel bad about myself so I can consider looking at myself in 3D now and then and find something a bit silly.

The terminology is awful. It makes reference to a subordinate female. Of which I would possibly suggest you are neither

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
How there has not been a very senior sacking in our player recruitment dept I find astounding, especially given Bloom’s reputation for being a nice guy but ruthless businessman.
Locadia
Ali J
Andone
£40 odd million down the toilet, we’ll be lucky to get 50% of that back.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Not sure I agree with this no dickheads policy.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
How there has not been a very senior sacking in our player recruitment dept I find astounding, especially given Bloom’s reputation for being a nice guy but ruthless businessman.
Locadia
Ali J
Andone

Not just the big money ones though. Look at the amount of full backs who came in and weren't able to displace Bong and Bruno on a consistent basis

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I dont think anybody is disputing the clubs actions but more the wisdom of letting both strikers go without an available adequate replacement for either.

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

Maupay and Connolly are the (more than adequate) replacements for both. Or are we suggesting that we saw anything from Jurgen (for example) to suggest he was better than Connolly?!? Bollocks, he was bloody awful.

I called the Andone deal correctly, based on him clearly being a little shit and heck (blow me) I was right! I mean, who would have guessed it?

Time to move on, for it would appear little Florin certainly has.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Locadia
Ali J
Andone

Agreed, as it would seem Ali J is only still with us by default - that being that no other club wanted him.

Add to that list: Suttner, The Greyhound (innumerate) development squad fullbacks since departed... I suspect the original recruitment team are trading off Gross and Ryan... even Bissouma is proving costly vs tangible delivery, izquierdo too - initial impact followed by a season out and unfit now dragging on into a second.

Ultimately are PL status has been held together by our Championship core, now ageing and/or retired, and/or out of favour, form and/or steadily declining into abject mediocrity.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
But neither like for like and neither able to replace GM.

But Andone or Locadia could not replace Murray either could they?Locadia was NOT a target man and Andone flattered to deceive.Potter had all pre-season to assess them and came to a decision.

Maupay looks like he could be the real deal.He is not GM but knows where the goal is.Connolly had to be given a chance sooner or later

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I accept all that about Maupay and Connolly but when GM is tired and substituted who will hold the ball up front, perhaps GP will push one of our many centre backs up.

Jul 7, 2003
Unless I missed it skimming through this thread, the people who said he may have been unfortunate last season seem to have forgotten that he was given his chance.

Another stupid sending off after the West Brom cup game meant he missed three matches where he could have staked his claim and his chance was lost.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Maupay looks like a longer term Murray replacement more so than Locadia and Andone ever did

Though both of them arriving spurred Glenn onto scoring the goals that kept us up for last two seasons

If we stay up this season will be due to goals from Maupay

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Makes you realise we haven't really done very well so far in the transfer market since reaching the prem

Edit: ah, meant to quote post #130 [MENTION=494]Kosh[/MENTION]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I accept all that about Maupay and Connolly but when GM is tired and substituted who will hold the ball up front, perhaps GP will push one of our many centre backs up.

We don't have to play with a big CF who holds up the ball. Liverpool seem to manage quite well without one - in fact they've just got rid of the nearest player the had to a 'Murray type'.

Perhaps Mr. Potter doesn't want us to play a system that involves one player holding the ball up - or trying to - for a few minutes while the midfielders hold a quick conference and draw lots to decide which of them will temporarily leave their defensive position and advance, with all due caution, over the half way line.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

You've missed the point. What I was getting at is that only another Murray can replace Murray.

He's comparatively snail like and will not last 90 minutes in every game but he can finish, hold up the ball and win free kicks and he's in good shape for his age. The only vaguely comparable players we've been linked with were Mitrovic who is quicker and stronger (and younger) but cannot finish nearly as well and is content to play in the Championship and there was talk of Llorente but not seriously (think it was a "why don't we consider him" type post) who is lazier and happy to play as a sub in the Champions League. Almost any other traditional number nine would be a massive risk and would come with a price tag that would likely be out of our budget.

It's not time to issue a statement along the lines of "we haven't replaced Murray". It's time to consider if this is a) possible and b) necessary.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It may just be me but I thought that we looked decidedly weaker when GM was replaced by Mooy and then even weaker still when Maupay was replaced by Connolly, which possibly and arguably cost us the 3 points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here