Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aberystwyth Town 1 TNS 10

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Brighton thrashed Wisbech and next home game did the same to Southend. The days of the great Charlie Lives. I played against Aberystwyth one week after they beat Hereford who themselves had just beaten Newcastle. We were convincing ourselves that if victorious we were First Division material.
3 1 up the Welsh international mid fielder comes on and lose 3 -5.

Being pedantic, we did lose 0-2 at home to QPR between the two thrashings.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
:facepalm: Was hoping this might not have found its way onto here.

Just a freak result really - Aber's form had looked mid-table-ish over the first few games. Incidentally Aber's goalkeeper retired last week (which you have more flexibility to do whenever you want in amateur football), and his replacement was a loan from TNS, who obviously could not play on Monday. There was a young kid in goal, who I think was making his senior debut.

TNS do tend to dominate, as the clubs that could challenge them financially (Bangor, Barry, Rhyl) have all had financial troubles over the last few years. Aber's record against them is shocking (but so are most clubs'). It's non-league standard (probably NL North/South, sometimes a little better, sometimes a lot worse) and as we saw with Whitehawk, it doesn't take someone putting a lot of money into a club at that level to blow the opposition out of the water. I'm not quite sure how much money Mike Harris (their chairman) has, or what his game is now that TNS the company are no longer his, however its clear they have significantly more funds than others.

Aberystwyth are really serial over-achievers just by staying in the top flight. A small town who's main industry is the university, and location means its very hard going to tap into any large population areas for non-league journeymen (i.e. North Wales clubs tend to have lots of scousers, Mid-Wales lots from Birmingham, South Wales from Cardiff and Swansea).

CoventrySeagull

Jul 7, 2003
Back in HANGLETON
Aber v TNS

:facepalm: Was hoping this might not have found its way onto here.

Just a freak result really - Aber's form had looked mid-table-ish over the first few games. Incidentally Aber's goalkeeper retired last week (which you have more flexibility to do whenever you want in amateur football), and his replacement was a loan from TNS, who obviously could not play on Monday. There was a young kid in goal, who I think was making his senior debut.

TNS do tend to dominate, as the clubs that could challenge them financially (Bangor, Barry, Rhyl) have all had financial troubles over the last few years. Aber's record against them is shocking (but so are most clubs'). It's non-league standard (probably NL North/South, sometimes a little better, sometimes a lot worse) and as we saw with Whitehawk, it doesn't take someone putting a lot of money into a club at that level to blow the opposition out of the water. I'm not quite sure how much money Mike Harris (their chairman) has, or what his game is now that TNS the company are no longer his, however its clear they have significantly more funds than others.

Aberystwyth are really serial over-achievers just by staying in the top flight. A small town who's main industry is the university, and location means its very hard going to tap into any large population areas for non-league journeymen (i.e. North Wales clubs tend to have lots of scousers, Mid-Wales lots from Birmingham, South Wales from Cardiff and Swansea).

Visited sister who lives in Trawsgoed (near Aber) last November, and went to Aber v TNS game - ABER won 1-0!!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Visited sister who lives in Trawsgoed (near Aber) last November, and went to Aber v TNS game - ABER won 1-0!!

Yeah they have beaten them a handful of times over the last 10 years or so. Don't think I ever saw them win. Remember a 0-0 away in the League Cup that went to extra time, but Aber lost in the end.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Shouldn't that be in the Streets of Oswestry and Llansantffraid, given they are an Anglo Welsh team

:facepalm: [MENTION=3363]RexCathedra[/MENTION] is alluding to an actual reporter (on Sky I believe) who summed up a report on a Welsh game about 15 years ago with "They'll be dancing on the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight". Oddly my recollection is it was Inter Cable Tel, but as we all know, Welsh place names are all very similar.

Last edited:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
:facepalm: [MENTION=3363]RexCathedra[/MENTION] Oddly my recollection is it was Inter Cable Tel, but as we all know, Welsh place names are all very similar.

It's the tragic shortage of vowels what does it. Lots of coal, lots of sheep, lots of slate -- but never, in the last two centuries, did they ever think to swap any of them for some vowels.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here