Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton - The Coaches Voice

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
I was a harsh critic of Hughton, but I still massively respect him but that said. I disagree with him saying there are many better managers than him out there currently unemployed. A club needing stability, he will most certainly be on the top of shortlist.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
He'll be at a top Championship club by October, who have made a bad start. I'd put a lot of money on getting them promoted at the first attempt.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Good read - moving formation to 4-3-3 is I suspect something he will never do again - expect will have turned down a job or too already
Can enjoy a good six months off

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for posting. Interesting to compare to the one by Gus Poyet. Although I was a Hughton outer by the end, reading that makes me feel bad for him :down:

He will bounce back and do a great job wherever he goes but I do think he’ll have to get a team promoted to get the Premier League job that he would clearly prefer.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thanks for posting. Interesting to compare to the one by Gus Poyet. Although I was a Hughton outer by the end, reading that makes me feel bad for him :down:

He will bounce back and do a great job wherever he goes but I do think he’ll have to get a team promoted to get the Premier League job that he would clearly prefer.

Of course he will. Remains a very good manager.

Strong defensive base, compact unfortunately are things that don’t work for a large proportion of football fans (particularly some of NSC).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Also on that site, by Grahan Potter

https://www.coachesvoice.com/outliers/

Two very decent men, and very different backgrounds, whilst CH has always seemed progressive compared to a few dinosaur relegation avoidance types, he seems old school compared to GP. Let's hope GP has the tactical nous as well.

Psychology in sport is a huge deal. Just look at F1 drivers losing the plot, English penalty shoot outs, or English cricket, any time!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Of course he will. Remains a very good manager.

Strong defensive base, compact unfortunately are things that don’t work for a large proportion of football fans (particularly some of NSC).

All managers reach a sell by date. CH had reached his with us. That takes nothing away from the fine job he did until the last few months of last season. I know we are poles apart on this but nobody will change my mind on this :shrug:

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
"So the formation that you want to play comes first, and then it’s about a way of implementing that formation" is the key sentence for me in that article, and explains why he is a limited manager at the top level.

It's completely backward. Surely a really good coach looks at the squad he has available and uses the formation that gets the best out of those players? It's basic management at any level- get the right people in the right seats.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
"So the formation that you want to play comes first, and then it’s about a way of implementing that formation" is the key sentence for me in that article, and explains why he is a limited manager at the top level.

It's completely backward. Surely a really good coach looks at the squad he has available and uses the formation that gets the best out of those players? It's basic management at any level- get the right people in the right seats.

I think successful managers say a similar thing to CH.

Pep - offloaded Hart. Augero changed
Mourinho - has a system. Joe Cole was offloaded

Lampard and Gerrard great players but not together, they did not fit the system of numerous England managers.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good read, cheers for posting.

Interesting to read that CH served the perfect apprenticeship for the ups and downs of the job, what with being a qualified lift engineer.

And yes, yes I will be disappointed with that effort :blush:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here