Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] World's steepest street?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Canton Ave in Pittsburgh. The climb is short at 65m, but the top half is cobbled....& its 37%! Steepest street in the USA.

Attachments

• canton.jpg
    canton.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 276

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Keere Street in Lewes or the main street in Clovelly, Devon?

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
There's one or two in Mile Oak that are pretty steep...…………..Further afield the street leading up to Lincoln Cathedral is called 'Steep Hill' and it is.

Walked up Steep Hill a couple of years ago when we played Lincoln in the FA Cup. There's a good pub at the top, beyond the cathedral.

An interesting part of a not great football afternoon, I think we lost 3-1 maybe?

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
A street in Wales could be declared the world's steepest. But it looks almost level compared to the Drove in Brighton. Where's local resident Hove Born & Bred when you need him?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46796588

If they can persuade Guiness to declare their street the world's steepest, that will be the Welsh version of the Golden Egg.
Tourists will flock there.
The local business owners (if there are any!) will be rubbing their hands!

I learned to drive back in the 70's when I lived in Woodingdean, and during the course of the lesson my sadistic driving instructor ALWAYS made me do at least one hill start on the little incline opposite the Downs Hotel leading from the Falmer road to Warren Road.
It's only a few yards in length, but it's bloody steep ... especially for a learner driver!
Anyone know what gradient that is?
Gotta be 30%+ surely?

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Last edited:

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
I was told, many years ago, that May Road, near the top of Elm Grove, was the steepest in Brighton. I can't be asked to check this out.

only the top bit of May Road is steep but I would say the Drove is steeper and I think steeper than Albion Hill

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Gold Hill in Shaftesbury, the one in the Hovis advert was quite a climb getting from the pubs at the bottom to the top when I was younger although the training made getting to The Albion in Albion Hill a breeze when I came to Brighton.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Parts of Albion Hill must be pretty steep. I remember my Nan, who was from the Hanover area, telling me that in order to be a postman in the old days - I guess the 1920s - you had to be able to cycle up Albion Hill from a standing start. Great story even if bulls*t.

In between Albion Hill and Southover Street was Richmond Street. My mum came from there. It was Brighton’s steepest road.

https://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/places/placestree/richmond-street/richmond-street-2

So steep that half way down or up, a wall and chicane was built to stop runaway carts.

It was mainly cleared away in the 60’s, replaced by the flats (outside where Albion hard men fought Spuds and Aberdeen hard men about 10 years ago). With the loss of several terraced streets.

Fantastic photo here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=richmond+street+brighton&rlz=1C9BKJA_enGB892GB892&hl=en-US&prmd=mniv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwifqvzS5NzrAhWCsnEKHRJkDSsQ_AUoA3oECAsQAw&biw=1024&bih=649&dpr=2#imgrc=NjUaf1FpvYbBpM

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I was told, many years ago, that May Road, near the top of Elm Grove, was the steepest in Brighton. I can't be asked to check this out.
May road is flat?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
According to this google maps script, Dunedin has it.

baldwin.PNG
b2.PNG

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here