Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Hornets

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I don't know if it was an omen for next season's fixtures but I have encountered three European Hornets in the last couple of weeks. I can only remember seeing one before a few years ago.
The most recent was 50 miles away from the first. It hovered in front of me all "Do you want some? Cause I'll give it yer!" for about 30 seconds. I didn't enjoy the experience.
I don't read The Daily Mail so I don't know if there is an official invasion? Has anyone else experienced more this year?
Will the even bigger Asian Hornets be next and have any of the well travelled north stand chat posters experienced these and lived to tell the tale?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
They have arrived a couple of months early. Here to witness Horsham opening thir new ground prior to kicking off the new season in August.

See what l did there? Horsham, the Hornets? With me so far?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
We had plenty of them in our retail premises a couple of years ago. They were big fekkers but as that’s the first time I had seen a hornet I don’t know what type they were. As its my job to to remove all critters I hope we don’t have too many visitors this year :eek:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Supercharged waspy ********....get them in the garden quite often, and have had a few nest in the shed. I find a badminton raquet does the job when they're in flight.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't know if it was an omen for next season's fixtures but I have encountered three European Hornets in the last couple of weeks. I can only remember seeing one before a few years ago.
The most recent was 50 miles away from the first. It hovered in front of me all "Do you want some? Cause I'll give it yer!" for about 30 seconds. I didn't enjoy the experience.
I don't read The Daily Mail so I don't know if there is an official invasion? Has anyone else experienced more this year?
Will the even bigger Asian Hornets be next and have any of the well travelled north stand chat posters experienced these and lived to tell the tale?

Top tip is to avoid lying down in a field naked smeared with Marmalade.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I’m sure it’s not true but I was told if you kill them they give off a scent and all their mates pile round to sort you out. Probably just another urban myth

There are pheromones released when you squish one, its like " Action Stations " for wasps. It's genuine

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
No had any since I put up the signs.
no_wasps2.gif

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Hope I don't encounter one. I freely admit I turn into a MASSIVE big girls blouse and run away screaming like a banshee at the sight of the little ****ers.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Damned European Hornets, coming over here, taking our beetles, wasps, large moths, dragonflies, mantises, fallen fruit and other sources of sugary food.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Attack pheromone

Hornets, like many social wasps, can mobilize the entire nest to sting in defense, which is highly dangerous to humans and other animals. The attack pheromone is released in case of threat to the nest. In the case of the Asian giant hornet (Vespa mandarina) this is also used to mobilize many workers at once when attacking colonies of their prey, honey bees and other Vespa species.[12] Three biologically active chemicals, 2-pentanol, 3-methyl-1-butanol, and 1-methylbutyl 3-methylbutanoate, have been identified for this species. In field tests, 2-pentanol alone triggered mild alarm and defensive behavior, but adding the other two compounds increased aggressiveness in a synergistic effect.[12] In the European hornet (Vespa crabro) the major compound of the alarm pheromone is 2-methyl-3-butene-2-ol.[13]

If a hornet is killed near a nest it may release pheromones that can cause the other hornets to attack. Materials that come in contact with this pheromone, such as clothes, skin, and dead prey or hornets, can also trigger an attack, as can certain food flavorings, such as banana and apple flavorings, and fragrances that contain C5 alcohols and C10 esters.[12]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here