Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Thoughts with Mr bell John Westwood today

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What's that got to do with anything?

It was an England game, and fans were allowed to go in club colours. We can't have a situation where you can go in club colours, unless an England game is being held at a club ground and you support their rivals.

WTF happens if the game is at Old Trafford or White Hart Lane? You'd have an England game with a list of club shirts fans couldn't wear. So what if he wanted attention? It's pretty clear he wasn't going to be violent, he just wanted to wear his club shirt, like anyone else.

Now if he'd been refused because he stank so much it was unfair on those sitting near him, then fair enough.

In an ideal world he could wear what he likes but the reality is that he was almost certainly being antagonistic.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In an ideal world he could wear what he likes but the reality is that he was almost certainly being antagonistic.
Which you'd then say about any fan of a club who were rivals with the club whose ground was being used. So like I say, if that's Old Trafford you let in fans from any team except Liverpool, Man City, Leeds, etc. That's not ok. Either club shirts are allowed or they're not. And they are, so it's not ok to ban him for that.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Which you'd then say about any fan of a club who were rivals with the club whose ground was being used. So like I say, if that's Old Trafford you let in fans from any team except Liverpool, Man City, Leeds, etc. That's not ok. Either club shirts are allowed or they're not. And they are, so it's not ok to ban him for that.

The fat **** has got his cock out and urinated all over the seats in the past at Southampton. The staff/stewards would have wanted him to act like arse so they could bar him, he didn’t disappoint.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think the clue was that he was reminded about this on more than one occasion before he even travelled to the game.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Making up arbitrary rules is not justified by said rules being communicated in advance. This story reveals more about the petty minded officialdom of Southampton than it does about Westwood.

... acting on the advice of?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Seems 100% wrong to me.

Any statement from the FA or the owners of St Mary’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Always looks like he could do with a wash.

The biggest understatement in the history of the internet. If you ever get downwind or in close proximity to him, it's not pleasant - he stinks. I've had the misfortune to encounter his company close up twice. Hopefully there won't be a third. Aside his hygiene issues, he's generally a boorish ****. Not universally popular amongst his own fans at Portsmouth either.

I have the smallest minuscule of sympathy for him as it was an England game. However given his profile, he was a fool to himself turning up in a PFC shirt especially if as claimed, he was given heads up before not to. The chances being spotted by the SFC idiot faction in the stadium and it kicking off were possible. I was in the next block to him at Wembley for a WC qualifier several years back. He had no Pompey garb, just England. A bunch of Southampton fans clocked him at FT on the way out and started hurling abuse. He responded and the stewards stepped in before it kicked off. With the potential for problems plus his previous behaviour of pissing on the seats, I can half see where the stewards were coming from on Tuesday.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What's that got to do with anything?

It was an England game, and fans were allowed to go in club colours. We can't have a situation where you can go in club colours, unless an England game is being held at a club ground and you support their rivals.

WTF happens if the game is at Old Trafford or White Hart Lane? You'd have an England game with a list of club shirts fans couldn't wear. So what if he wanted attention? It's pretty clear he wasn't going to be violent, he just wanted to wear his club shirt, like anyone else.

Now if he'd been refused because he stank so much it was unfair on those sitting near him, then fair enough.

If you'd quoted my whole post, or perhaps the next line of it rather than addressing that line in isolation, then you'd know what I was getting at. As stated, he was going into an unsegregated area of Southampton's ground, decked out in Pompey garb. He has cultivated himself as a high profile "celebrity fan" of Portsmouth FC, so going into a stand which would likely have a large contingent of Southampton fans present was likely to cause issues, particularly given all his "LOOK AT MEEEEE" antics at every match. The fact that he binned off his usual England attire for an England game, instead choosing to display his Pompey allegiences loud and clear, speaks volumes.

The stewards just decided to head-off all the potential aggro before it started, and whilst it may not be enshrined anywhere within the 'Magna Carta of Policing Football Games', it was probably the sensible choice, given all his previous as well. He made a rod for his own back, and I have zero sympathy for him, he was clearly there on a wind-up.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
If you'd quoted my whole post, or perhaps the next line of it rather than addressing that line in isolation, then you'd know what I was getting at. As stated, he was going into an unsegregated area of Southampton's ground, decked out in Pompey garb. He has cultivated himself as a high profile "celebrity fan" of Portsmouth FC, so going into a stand which would likely have a large contingent of Southampton fans present was likely to cause issues, particularly given all his "LOOK AT MEEEEE" antics at every match. The fact that he binned off his usual England attire for an England game, instead choosing to display his Pompey allegiences loud and clear, speaks volumes.

The stewards just decided to head-off all the potential aggro before it started, and whilst it may not be enshrined anywhere within the 'Magna Carta of Policing Football Games', it was probably the sensible choice, given all his previous as well. He made a rod for his own back, and I have zero sympathy for him, he was clearly there on a wind-up.

And just in case there is any doubt he urinated over the seats last time he was was there ffs He’d be banned from a pub for the same behaviour.

The bloke is a stinky arsed peasant.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If only people had the will power to literally ignore him. He wouldn't have got the attention he clearly craved and people wouldn't have got wound up about a man wearing a football shirt.

Football is silly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you'd quoted my whole post, or perhaps the next line of it rather than addressing that line in isolation, then you'd know what I was getting at.
Really? The next line was 'This wasn't a club game, but he was going into an unsegregated area in Southamptons stadium, so its bloody obvious he would've attracted the attention of some locals who may not have taken kindly.'

How does that change anything from what I quoted? We know it wasn't a club game. And what's the relevance of 'unsegregated'? The only segregation we could expect would be 'England fans' and 'away fans'. If he's in a Pompey shirt, I can't see what difference it makes if he was in an unsegregated area.

As stated, he was going into an unsegregated area of Southampton's ground, decked out in Pompey garb.
Right, so you're saying that if it was in the England end, then it would have been ok? I don't understand your point about it being an unsegregated area.

He has cultivated himself as a high profile "celebrity fan" of Portsmouth FC
So is that the problem then? It's ok for fans who aren't 'celebrity fans'?

The stewards just decided to head-off all the potential aggro before it started
So we're now ok with living like Minority Report. Great, guilty of crimes we might have committed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
People do realise he’s actually banned from St.Marys, right? Because he pissed on a load of seats during an England U-21 game there.
If he's banned, then why didn't the club release a statement saying that he was already banned for urinating on the seats?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Really? The next line was 'This wasn't a club game, but he was going into an unsegregated area in Southamptons stadium, so its bloody obvious he would've attracted the attention of some locals who may not have taken kindly.'

How does that change anything from what I quoted? We know it wasn't a club game. And what's the relevance of 'unsegregated'? The only segregation we could expect would be 'England fans' and 'away fans'. If he's in a Pompey shirt, I can't see what difference it makes if he was in an unsegregated area.

Right, so you're saying that if it was in the England end, then it would have been ok? I don't understand your point about it being an unsegregated area.

So is that the problem then? It's ok for fans who aren't 'celebrity fans'?

So we're now ok with living like Minority Report. Great, guilty of crimes we might have committed.

I can't really be arsed to engage in another of your bullet-point multiquote-fests tbh. Suffice to say he's a high profile Portsmouth fan and media whore, looking to score points by wearing his Pompey garb to an England game in Southamptons ground. If it didn't occur to him that this may cause a problem, then he truly is stupider than he looks. I'm not really bothered about people getting all moralistic about "the authorities" and their actions here, because in this particular case they did the right thing and for the right reasons IMO.

Is it inconsistent ? Probably. But the bloke is a bona-fide 24 carat throbber, so I'll not lose any sleep over it. Like I said, he's made a rod for his own back.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Mr Westwood has done a fair bit for Charity. In 2003 he set up the Big Bell Foundation to raise money for the Blue Bell Railway. Sir Geoffrey Boycott got a Knighthood so...

He also claimed that the previous incident at St Mary's was due to a medical condition. He said at the time - 'I've got nothing against Southampton FC. Sometimes when you've got to go you've got to go!'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here