Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I've just watched the plane crash one. That part and the Spice girls speach were just superb. Best TV since Narcos.

There are a lot of belting one-liners (to the big black dude: "Well done, Sherlock f***ing Homie") and they've set up season 2 very nicely thank you *rubs hands*.

9 eps in, and still really enjoying this. Kevin Bacon is great, a real dirtbag.

I've done the first 5, now waiting 'til I can binge the last half. I found it too frustrating waiting week by week, it's a world I hate myself for enjoying being in!

Over the summer (feeling that it's now over) and with a dearth of anything to catch my attention, I rewatched The Shield on Channel 4. Boy, I'd forgotten how dark-grim and also how darkly funny it is. The story and characters are flawlessly written from the first to the last episode, and apart from everyone using those old flip-up oyster phones, hasn't dated at all. Still brilliant.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mindhunter is back with with series 2 on Netflix.

As with the original series the first episode is directed by David Fincher.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Designated Survivor (recommend above) it's not in the same league as West Wing or House of Cards (though it has nicked the music), but it is diverting white house tv. Suspend your disbelief and it's quite acceptable.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Designated Survivor (recommend above) it's not in the same league as West Wing or House of Cards (though it has nicked the music), but it is diverting white house tv. Suspend your disbelief and it's quite acceptable.

Just finished the third and final Season on Netflix, after season 1 it changed into West Wing lite, and while still a good watch it is as Casualty is to ER. I think like a lot of shows ,after the original premise had played out it should have been left, it became a completely different show, with Agent Hannah Wells shoe-horned in.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I'm on series two of halt and catch fire. An 80's series on the emergence of computer technology. Not a bad watch, with only 4 series I will finish it.

I've just finished this - without wanting to sound like a dick, I thought it was exquisite.

With so many self-consciously explosive series vying for your attention, Halt and Catch Fire played a different game. It kept itself contained, forcing the audience to match its subdued, mesmerizing rhythm. Eventually, the audience and the characters learned the same lesson: sometimes, it’s worth putting in the work.

This extract from a Guardian review sums it up for me; it's something that embeds itself in you. Loved it.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Just downloaded and bingewatched series 1 of Manifest on Sky One. If you enjoyed The 4400, this is for you.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Just downloaded and bingewatched series 1 of Manifest on Sky One. If you enjoyed The 4400, this is for you.

Can't agree on this one. Interesting premise (reminded me of Lost) but I hate all the characters who are real cardboard cutouts with very predictable dialogue.

Gave up after episode 3.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Can't agree on this one. Interesting premise (reminded me of Lost) but I hate all the characters who are real cardboard cutouts with very predictable dialogue.

Gave up after episode 3.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I enjoyed it.....

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The Righteous Gemstones is an enjoyable send up of the Televangelists who enjoy a very luxurious lifestyle thanks to the generous donations from their flock. Stars John Goodman and is worth watching if you are at a loose end. Must be doing something right as the religious right are already getting their knickers in a twist

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Seems that all my favourite shows are ending or have ended no more Big Bang theory, elementary, izombie, supernatural coming into its final season game of thrones ended too. Bound to be others too

Anyone got anything to fill the void?

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
The Righteous Gemstones is an enjoyable send up of the Televangelists who enjoy a very luxurious lifestyle thanks to the generous donations from their flock. Stars John Goodman and is worth watching if you are at a loose end. Must be doing something right as the religious right are already getting their knickers in a twist

Funny how works of fiction always get that lot up in arms

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just watched the first episode of Pennyworth.

T'is the Alfred The Butler origin story.

It's ok I'll probably keep with it for an episode of two more.
Just one piece of advise, it's certainly not one for the kidz.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Just finished 'The Americans' and really enjoyed it. Couple of KGB agents living in Washington as a typical American family. Worth a watch

After six series and several years of viewing I've just finished this too. Terrific stuff and they wrapped things up really well. I'll miss it.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
After six series and several years of viewing I've just finished this too. Terrific stuff and they wrapped things up really well. I'll miss it.

Is it on Netflix or Amazon Prime?

I watched the first two series on ITV1 about 4 years back. Very original, great acting and addictive viewing.

(But I then lost track of it, perhaps ITV downgraded it?)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I've just finished this - without wanting to sound like a dick, I thought it was exquisite.

With so many self-consciously explosive series vying for your attention, Halt and Catch Fire played a different game. It kept itself contained, forcing the audience to match its subdued, mesmerizing rhythm. Eventually, the audience and the characters learned the same lesson: sometimes, it’s worth putting in the work.

This extract from a Guardian review sums it up for me; it's something that embeds itself in you. Loved it.

Where is this to be found please

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here