Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 3-5-2

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We played a proper 433 about 3 times this year. In reality, we played a 451 for the majority of the second half of the season. No one should be claiming we had 3 playing up top when our wide men spent the majority of their time as auxiliary wing backs.

100% agreed.. it was actually 4-5-1, or was it 9-0-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1, but nominally 4-3-3...

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

This is a good piece, but I'd take issue with your paragraph that focuses on Solly March not having the quality to beat opponents in the final third. If the Newcastle game showed us anything, it's that March should be playing almost every game and he should be doing it from the right where he consistently caused them problems until his switch to the left when Knockaert came on. March has always been a bit too one dimensional on the left as his ability to beat players relies on body movement rather than specific skills and this makes him incredibly predictable down that side as it's clear he's never going to come inside to try and shoot. Off the right though he's proven to be a very valuable asset this season and, in particular, in this game.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
100% agreed.. it was actually 4-5-1, or was it 9-0-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1, but nominally 4-3-3...

Nominally you can claim whatever formation you want, as CH did. But when you spend most of every game with 10 men behind the ball and you're ceding possession, you end up playing the game in your defensive formation. And our defensive formation since promotion has been a back 4 and a deep 5 on top of that. We did show some attacking intent in a 433 but I'd argue the Watford game at home was the last time it was really seen. That was February. That's a long, long time to have zero attacking ambition and to keep your wingers on that much of a leash.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
We played a proper 433 about 3 times this year. In reality, we played a 451 for the majority of the second half of the season. No one should be claiming we had 3 playing up top when our wide men spent the majority of their time as auxiliary wing backs.

This. Our wingers spent more time running back and defending than attacking so they were out of position to really go forward.

Second half at Newcastle showed what we can do going forward. It was a breath of fresh air. Before Gross's goal I actually started to think we might score and was a long time before that I had thought that.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
This is a good piece, but I'd take issue with your paragraph that focuses on Solly March not having the quality to beat opponents in the final third. If the Newcastle game showed us anything, it's that March should be playing almost every game and he should be doing it from the right where he consistently caused them problems until his switch to the left when Knockaert came on. March has always been a bit too one dimensional on the left as his ability to beat players relies on body movement rather than specific skills and this makes him incredibly predictable down that side as it's clear he's never going to come inside to try and shoot. Off the right though he's proven to be a very valuable asset this season and, in particular, in this game.

The manager is like a chef.. The question is how does he adjust the ingredients? The way I see it CH didnt play some to their strengths for whatever reasons he had and we most likely will never know.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
DUFFY’S IMPRESSIVE SEASON IN NUMBERS

//www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2019/may/duffys-impressive-season-in-numbers/

After finishing top of the pile for most clearances, clearances off the goal line and headed clearances last season, the 27-year-old retained his record in all three categories for a second campaign in a row...

...But Duffy’s contribution stretched further than the defensive third — he found the back of the net five times for the Seagulls, which made him the top-scoring defender in the Premier League last season.

Having read that I now completely agree with the OP and Duffy should be shown the door asap.
There's no way he can play in a system the manager doesn't favour.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Tell you what, I’ll concede Double D also helped... I refuse to acknowledge any contribution by Pal@rse... the manager was a liability...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saved us from relegation to league 1.
Got us promoted to the PL.
Kept us in it twice.

Yes, he was terrible......

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I am not supposed to agree with you but you are so right as it seemed GM suddenly got old and looked his age in the 2nd half of the season.

Agree 100%.
Murray was brilliant for half of the season.
The second half he just didn’t turn up, don’t know if he was carrying an injury, but he was struggling. To be fair [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] has been concerned for some time.
Perhaps he also missed Gross and the quality of delivery.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Saved us from relegation to league 1.
Got us promoted to the PL.
Kept us in it twice.

Yes, he was terrible......

I believe what you have in your hand is very much the wrong end of the stick.

You might want to read back a few posts.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I believe what you have in your hand is very much the wrong end of the stick.

You might want to read back a few posts.

Ah okay - good call, just fed up with the amount of anti-Hughton sentiment. Even last season, the team had a poor couple of months and the form dipped badly, but very few were complaining prior to Christmas.

Nobody said the PL was going to be easy...

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah okay - good call, just fed up with the amount of anti-Hughton sentiment.

Ah then you had the right poster but were coming at it from the wrong angle.

Sorry I was wrong, having reread the 2 posts you were going after 'the manager was the liability' dross.

As you were - carry on.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ah then you had the right poster but were coming at it from the wrong angle.

Sorry I was wrong, having reread the 2 posts you were going after 'the manager was the liability' dross.

As you were - carry on.

FFS! I read and agreed with you!!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I haven't read everyone's post but have read enough about Duffy not being good enough to play in a back three. Why then was he our player of last season?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here