Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Assuming we appoint Graham Potter, your gut feeling on next season

How will Potter do next season?

• Total voters

You know, I think you need to cheer up a little bit. Stevens is effective as a DCM. Propper is a class above and will come good with the shackles off. Biss is a massive find although, admittedly a bit rough and ready. Kayal has great drive, and a good backup.

I think you will find Solly is getting better and better, Knocky is a typically hit and miss winger, but can be brilliant. Izzy is aa exciting speedster who, admittedly, needs to learn to not always cut inside, and Ali J will improve with the shackles finally removed.

So, as I say, one ACM and one winger, if we lose one, is about it. The rest is down to having a manager who will allow some midfielders to create, and forwards to play as forwards, and not back-up defenders, as per Chris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol ok but 3 or 4 losses don’t be among the pile-on calling for his head Ok?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You can't say now! You just can't. Let's see how recruitment goes first. Apparently his whole team are coming with him so should get in players who suit. The motivational stuff sounds fun. And, for my money, Ashworth has staked his job on this.

We need to be a LOT fitter. We need a starting right back who doesn't go AWOL somewhere random up the pitch, but has the pace to properly transition and join attacks. We need a centre forward who isn't Murray but could conceivably score more and has pace (and if we get this we somehow need to keep Andone happy, because it isn't him but he'll need to be first backup). We may - and this pains me to type it - need to replace Duffy with a quicker model and hope that we don't miss the fire, undoubted dominance in the air and blocking with any free body part. But these alone will cost a SHITLOAD of money and that's before you've gone "do you know what, a really quick winger who's more consistent than Izzy and a creative box to box midfielder would be nice".

But, as I typed last night on the other Potter thread, this IS the opportunity for a sea change. Maybe we've had players in the academy who could fulfill some of the above. Maybe some can come from Swansea and make the step up. If we don't do this now, we never will. And I'm genuinely excited by it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Potter away record 2018/19
View attachment 109860

Hughton away record 2016/17
View attachment 109861

Hughton away record 2015/16
View attachment 109862

In the last year penniless Swansea lost almost all their PL first team players - Ki, Ayew x 2, Clucas, Fabianski, Mawson, Carroll, Montero, Amat, Bartley, Fernandez. Graham Potter made his reputation at Swansea by turning a sinking ship into a mid table team, playing attractive football, with some young players.

The Albion squad of Jan 2015 to May 2017, was assembled and bankrolled by Tony Bloom to achieve promotion to the PL.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Some need a reality check for the foreseeable future it's going to be a tough ride and we'll be battling against relegation so why not try something different and be a bit more adventurous in our style of play. Getting bodies in the opposition penalty area has worked ok for other relegation candidates such as Palace and Bournemouth.

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
My gut feeling for next season is 16th with more goals scored and less "why did I bother?" journeys home from away matches.

My gut feeling about our current squad's ability is this. When Davy Propper picks up the ball and sees runners he will improve. When Jurgen Locadia plays centrally and has support, so will he. And when our wingers get to the byline more often, Florin Andone will look like a bargain.

I could be wrong, of course, but to judge our attack-minded players based upon last season's set up seems very short-sighted. Squad overhaul? Not for me, just a few signings with PL experience.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Without additional pace coming into the team, the more entertaining tactics that some crave for will see lots of goals but mainly from the opposition as we suffer heavy defeats away from home, and sink into the bottom 3 from the start of the season

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I can honestly say I have no idea what to expect, if people cast their minds back under Houghton we had an identity remember #Together. With a new manager will come a new identity so the question is can a new identity be installed developed understood with the players we have and any we bring in within the preseason period and then maybe the first ten games?
This is such a tough league with little time for adapting, the difference between staying up as we have seen are very small, it's a huge gamble and I really hope I eat humble pie on this but I am nervous

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I haven’t. But you seem extremely unwilling to get behind Tony’s plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Err..where did you get that from? ???

This thread asks a question about our gut feelings, I’ve answered honestly! I think a lot of our current crop of players could struggle to adapt. Thats all. Not once have I said I won’t support the club. Tony doesn’t always get it right does he?

As I’ve said numerous times on this thread already, I hope I’m wrong!

el punal

Another question might be: who would you most trust to keep us in the Premier League - Potter or Hughton? I think this is a huge gamble by TB. Despite coming close to going down, I think CH was unlucky with dud signings and injuries. And in the end he just about got the job done. He is tactically adept at nullifying the opposition. I think we will be on the end of a few 6-0's ourselves next season and could well end up doing a Fulham - trying to play expansive football but getting picked off by teams that are simply better than us.

What you said about “ huge gamble “ is the key to success or failure next season. It seems to have gone both ways for Tony Bloom over the last ten years - Gus Poyet, success, despite the acrimonious ending and Sami Hyypia, abject failure.

Maybe Tony Bloom wants a breathe of fresh air permeating the club. Much as I liked Chris Hughton, and admired everything he did for the Albion, the last six months of his tenure showed that he was struggling to achieve what was required. Graham Potter might just be that breathe of fresh air - new man, new ideas, new tactics. Could he be the man to shake up our jaded team and take them to the next level? Time will tell, I hope so.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My gut feeling for next season is 16th with more goals scored and less "why did I bother?" journeys home from away matches.

My gut feeling about our current squad's ability is this. When Davy Propper picks up the ball and sees runners he will improve. When Jurgen Locadia plays centrally and has support, so will he. And when our wingers get to the byline more often, Florin Andone will look like a bargain.

I could be wrong, of course, but to judge our attack-minded players based upon last season's set up seems very short-sighted. Squad overhaul? Not for me, just a few signings with PL experience.

This. I find myself thinking that our existing players might respond to Potter's ways.

I voted "be alright", but would be happy to be entertained and flirt with danger without going down.

Anya1000

Apr 14, 2019
I can honestly say I have no idea what to expect, if people cast their minds back under Houghton we had an identity remember #Together. With a new manager will come a new identity so the question is can a new identity be installed developed understood with the players we have and any we bring in within the preseason period and then maybe the first ten games?
This is such a tough league with little time for adapting, the difference between staying up as we have seen are very small, it's a huge gamble and I really hope I eat humble pie on this but I am nervous

Relegation here we come but at least we go down playing expansive football I guess so no complaints from the fans when we get frequently humiliated . TB has no idea a huge mistake!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Without additional pace coming into the team, the more entertaining tactics that some crave for will see lots of goals but mainly from the opposition as we suffer heavy defeats away from home, and sink into the bottom 3 from the start of the season

I really don't understand this mantra.
The team appeared ponderous because they were prisoners to play ponderously.

Watching the tactics 'masterclass' vid, there are very few current players who wouldn't be an instant fit for what he asks the team to do, I do expect them to follow orders and rise like a phoenix's.

Montoya & Stephens would have to do more work, quicker, but beyond that esp last seasons new singings ought to fit into his philosophers system perfectly.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We spent nothing in January.

We have just uprooted the former tactical approach and about to appoint someone at odds with that approach.

We need to spend big, and we will.

We need to be very careful we don’t end up doing a Pompey or Leeds by spending all our money in trying to stay I. And spending stupid money on African/ South American players who came with big names and reputations but actually ended up mercenaries

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Relegation here we come but at least we go down playing expansive football I guess so no complaints from the fans when we get frequently humiliated . TB has no idea a huge mistake!

There seems to be a pattern emerging here. Just about every poster who was disappointed/furious with the way CH was dismissed or who thought he should be given more time, is predicting that we will get relegated playing expansive football. Who says we will be playing such gung ho tactics, it’s just an ill informed guess, fuelled by what looks like a hope for failure.

Just a heads up, we may or may not go down but you are just letting your emotions rule your thoughts. NOBODY knows what will happen and the majority of the CH outers are mostly accepting that it could go horribly pear shaped. NONE of the angry ones can even contemplate that it just MAY be a new and exciting dawn.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We need to be very careful we don’t end up doing a Pompey or Leeds by spending all our money in trying to stay I. And spending stupid money on African/ South American players who came with big names and reputations but actually ended up mercenaries

Or can’t get a work permit :smile:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Unless we have new players with a lot more pace than the present team I can't see a huge difference. Pressure to finish 17th or better will override the desire to be like Fulham last season.

This. If the hope is that Hermione will convert Ali J, Locadia, and Andone into the PL goal machines (scoring or assisting) that we clearly hoped for when we bought them, I fear we’re going to be disappointed.

Season 1? Cling on by the skin of our teeth, unless we buy extensively. Season 2? That could be a lot more interesting - providing we’re still in the PL.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hughton all day. Wish TB gave had given a chance and with his choice of signings as opposed to be given players.

Maybe he should have been stronger if what you say is true? No idea if it is as you certainly have an agenda. If not he was part of the problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here