Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I agree. We haven't even had the play-off final yet so we are hardly behind the curve

Well we are to an extent as the transfer window is open, so we need the new man ASAP otherwise if we leave it too long he'll have to wait until January to get any player he wants. That kinda rules out Lampard as he's not available for at least another fortnight.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You'd have thought that anyone hoping to hire Phil Neville this summer would be unwise given he can't realistically start a new job until after the Womans World Cup which finishes on July 7th.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well we are to an extent as the transfer window is open, so we need the new man ASAP otherwise if we leave it too long he'll have to wait until January to get any player he wants. That kinda rules out Lampard as he's not available for at least another fortnight.

And Phil Neville until July 7th.

But blimey. The players are on holiday for weeks now. It will make no difference whatsoever whether Potter (if its him) is hired in the next week or so.
If the search for a manager stretches into June , at the moment unlikely, then fair enough - it will start to impact on pre-season and recruitment.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Would prefer to see how he does with a few years in English football before we see it live on the job personally.

Fat Frank must be above him as he took a young side to the play offs and not 10th in his first season.

Neither appeal although Fat Frank I reckon would be a better risk of the 2

Potter has a history of working miracles with minnows, and we are premier league minnows.

What he did by keeping Swansea up this season, is far more relevant to our situation than what Frank has done. I'm not knocking Frank, but Derby were one of the favourites to go up, Swansea were stripped bare and favourites to go down.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Potter has a history of working miracles with minnows, and we are premier league minnows.

What he did by keeping Swansea up this season, is far more relevant to our situation than what Frank has done. I'm not knocking Frank, but Derby were one of the favourites to go up, Swansea were stripped bare and favourites to go down.

They sold of some high earners from the prem but they still had some good players and some decent youth that's been coming through for a while and granted he got them to mid table.

I take your point to a degree though

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Does it follow then, that if Potter is the target, and he's supposed famed for making the best of what he's got, then there will be no summer spending spree. Instead, we are bringing someone in who we believe could get more of a tune out of the current squad, and start bring players through from the U23 Development Squad?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Fat Frank must be above him as he took a young side to the play offs and not 10th in his first season.

Yeah.....Derby's team is a BIT better than Swansea's team of youth players. Swansea basically lost all their prem players last summer and had to play a lot of players who were out on loan last season or in their youth team. 10th was a brilliant result.

Derby have done VERY well.....but having Mason Mount (Chelsea) and Harry Wilson (Liverpool) as well as recruiting Marriot and Waghorn for biggish money over the summer is not compariable to Swansea's situation.

I've just looked, Swansea lost 19 players who could be argued as first team squad over the summer.
They bought 4 players and then promoted from youth or recalled loans.

The two really can't be compared

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If this happens would it be unreasonable to suggest that CH was probably a dead man walking as soon as Ashworth was appointed?

It might explain why our season went downhill so fast.

Of course he was.

In terms of when he was appointed, it would be difficult for DA to make demands from afar, especially as we were actually doing well.

DA of course has to be ‘seen’ to be making an impact and whilst he bided his time, it became relatively easy as everything went wrong. All IMO of course.

Phil Neville? Possibly better than Potter....

Day 4 - still very disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Does it follow then, that if Potter is the target, and he's supposed famed for making the best of what he's got, then there will be no summer spending spree. Instead, we are bringing someone in who we believe could get more of a tune out of the current squad, and start bring players through from the U23 Development Squad?

Possibly, or more likely working with Ashworth they will find exceptional young British talent, buy them cheap, develop them into stars and sell them on for massive profits, whilst sustaining our Premier League status. Like an English version of the Benfica model.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You'd have thought that anyone hoping to hire Phil Neville this summer would be unwise given he can't realistically start a new job until after the Womans World Cup which finishes on July 7th.
This.

I'm not against him as such - isn't he meant to be the 'clever' brother ? - but this commitment must rule him out.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The Argus reporting this morning that Potter is on a shortlist of three but don't name the other 2 and are clear Albion want someone in, in time, to deal with pre season/ recruitment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here