Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bloom's managerial appointments

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don’t agree at all.

Poyet gave us some great football and left Garcia with the makings of a good team, the fact is that we actually went backwards. Investment wise(That is not rewriting history, but what the table states), that downward trend continued with Hyypia.

The quality of signings were an issue, but we picked up Lingaard on loan, Upson, Ward. Plus we still had Crofts, Stephens, Buckley, Lopez, Bruno, Greer, Barnes (first half of season), Calderon, kuszczak......

Hardly poor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Half of those players were injured on and off throughout the season, can’t find the link but I know we had without a doubt the worst injury crisis for decades. I think you do Garcia a great disservice but it’s all about opinions

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
Unfair to call Garcia anonymous. Bar Ulloa and Upson, he took a very average Albion side to the play-off semis, if he were to have stayed another year I doubt we would have had as catastrophic a season in 2014-2015.

Yep, he did well to get us in to the play-offs, but I felt the football was very dull.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Widely reported at the time(s).
Had to ask MK Dons for permission for Karl.
Sherwood's Barber's mate and was shortlisted when Hughts got it.

So he interviewed them ..... that doesn't mean he 'came close to appointing' them. I've interviewed dozens of people and sometimes put them forward for second interview. It doesn't mean I've come close to offering them the job. It's a process of elimination. Getting shortlisted is in no way getting close to being appointed.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Half of those players were injured on and off throughout the season, can’t find the link but I know we had without a doubt the worst injury crisis for decades. I think you do Garcia a great disservice but it’s all about opinions

Of course, but having checked the programme, not injured as much as you think and crucially not at the same time.

In the same way you were unhappy with Hughton’s football, I felt exactly the same way about Garcia’s (which of course was at a lower level).

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
So he interviewed them ..... that doesn't mean he 'came close to appointing' them. I've interviewed dozens of people and sometimes put them forward for second interview. It doesn't mean I've come close to offering them the job. It's a process of elimination. Getting shortlisted is in no way getting close to being appointed.

They were both on shortlists of 3.
You're going to try to claim being one of three for a role isn't coming close to appointing someone, are you?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Of course, but having checked the programme, not injured as much as you think and crucially not at the same time.

In the same way you were unhappy with Hughton’s football, I felt exactly the same way about Garcia’s (which of course was at a lower level).

The massive difference being that CH was backed in player purchases and Oscar wasn’t.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The massive difference being that CH was backed in player purchases and Oscar wasn’t.

Yes, but one is in the PL and one is in the championship with the basis of a strong team that has been inherited from Poyet.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
Doesn't that argument apply right now, do you want survival or pretty football and relegation?

But the argument does apply. The same squad who became relegation contenders under Hyppia made it to the play-offs under Garcia. It's about the management of the players we have - not necessarily the players we want.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But the argument does apply. The same squad who became relegation contenders under Hyppia made it to the play-offs under Garcia. It's about the management of the players we have - not necessarily the players we want.

So Barnes, Buckley, Bridcutt, Upson, Ulloa, Orlandi, Lopez, Teixeira, all going by the end of that season, you don't think had much of an impact on Hyppia starting the next?

Have a look who departed and arrived at the end of the Hyppia season going into the following, it really isn't anywhere near as dramatic as how we started the season with Hyppia. What Chris achieved was startling in terms of how he transformed the side.

The question is, is whether you do believe this group has been held back from achieving a greater potential, or they are what they are. Our level of spending in the summer may tell us what Bloom really thinks.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
So getting us into the playoffs is dreadful. I assume you are expecting the next manager to win the double in their first season on that basis

Sod that, a treble in their first season or they are loosers - we need a European* trophy next year.

*I accept that entry to the appropriate competition is going to be the first stumbling block, but with a couple of ex-FA big shots in our midst, surely we can grease the appropriate palms.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Bloom's appointment record is patchy and not very convincing.

Two inspired choices, one reasonable but not proven, and one catastrophe.

Poyet - inspired and inspiring
Garcia - anonymous
Hyypia - catastrophically bad
Hughton - excellent safe pair of hands

The Hyypia appointment was made worse by the fact that Hyypia wasn't even sacked but had to resign. Bloom froze in the spot light.

It remains to be seen whether today is a knee jerk over-reaction from that experience. This time he shot the horse before it had even started to limp.

We were not PL then. He may have panicked, but now has a lot more experience and a great team around him. I think he's just proved he's learnt a lot over the years.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don’t agree at all.

Poyet gave us some great football and left Garcia with the makings of a good team, the fact is that we actually went backwards. Investment wise(That is not rewriting history, but what the table states), that downward trend continued with Hyypia.

The quality of signings were an issue, but we picked up Lingaard on loan, Upson, Ward. Plus we still had Crofts, Stephens, Buckley, Lopez, Bruno, Greer, Barnes (first half of season), Calderon, kuszczak......

Hardly poor

Yes, we scraped into the playoffs with Ulloa's header in the very last minute. The playoffs against Derby were awful.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
So Barnes, Buckley, Bridcutt, Upson, Ulloa, Orlandi, Lopez, Teixeira, all going by the end of that season, you don't think had much of an impact on Hyppia starting the next?

Have a look who departed and arrived at the end of the Hyppia season going into the following, it really isn't anywhere near as dramatic as how we started the season with Hyppia. What Chris achieved was startling in terms of how he transformed the side.

The question is, is whether you do believe this group has been held back from achieving a greater potential, or they are what they are. Our level of spending in the summer may tell us what Bloom really thinks.

The current crop of players are 13th-17th at best, we also had players out injured this season - Groß, Izquierdo, Pröpper and March, held back not so sure, only time will tell..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here