Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He will score an important goal for us this season. I feel it in my water. I just hope that isn't merely urethriitis.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Your observations carry weight when trying to play the ball out of defence. However not so much when these players are carrying the ball just outside the opposition penalty area. The forwards are already upfield by then. They are not defending in their own half at that point. They are in and around the opposition penalty area at that point but their movements isn't quick enough. And it's at this point. And I never thought I would hear myself saying this. We miss a Sam Baldock Someone who can play with their back to the opposition goal and who can move quickly in behind the opponents. Andone can do that for sure but the understanding isn't quite there yet

As you know I firmly believe the over reliance on shot-shy Murrayoffside is not only to the detriment of all 6 other 'forward' players but is the main reason for CH polling so badly.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Delofeou has been over here for some time, and had generally failed at Everton before going back to Spain, and not really cutting it there either. £13m was a gamble, and he's not been a regular starter for Watford this season, very much in and out. He didn't start the SF either, but does have the ability when he's on it. I would imagine there would be some seriously raised eyebrows at us spending £13m for him when Watford did. "We've already seen at Everton he's not up to the Premier League" I'm sure would have been said.

But I agree, that is the sort of risk we need to be taking in the market, however, we also have to accept that they don't come off very often. And for every Delofeou they'll be plenty of Locadia's and Ali J's. Take our forward situation. Where do we go from Murray, and how much will it cost us? I would like to gamble on some youngsters at big clubs (Tammy Abraham or Eddie Nketiah) or see if talent like Bamford or Gayle can step up. They won't come cheap, but we have to accept that, or accept where we are.

Also, wages. How often will someone simply say "wages" as a response on here to a potential target? Sorry, but again, we either pay the bigger wage to move forward, or accept where we are. I'll throw you an example for this summer. Olivier Giroud. He's 33 and out of contract at Chelsea this summer. They haven't played him anywhere near enough to be considering a new deal for him. Should be on the downturn in terms of clubs that will go in for him, and indeed wages. Are we in that market? Or are we going to see him go to West Ham because we just don't operate in that wage structure?

Delofeou would be as lost in our current team as all of our other wingers are. He's an excellent offensive player with the potential to be even better, but it's much harder to look good if you're sitting on your full back and defending all game. In this regard, you can get as many attacking players as you want in at whatever risk level you think is appropriate, but unless they're actually set up within a structure that allows them to attack then it's very difficult to flourish.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Disappointed that our club record signing is currently completely lacking in any kind of wow factor, has to be said. Maybe he'll come good, maybe he won't. But initial signs are not promising. Where's that spark of genuine quality that we'd all recognise as soon as we saw it?

Hoping for the best but expecting the worst...

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
He has something about him but we're yet to really see anything of note. As others have said there's no doubt a part of the problem is the way the team are set up, it's difficult to attack when you have no one to pass to. At the same time a record signing needs to be doing more. Hopefully we see something next year or he'll be on his way out back to the Dutch league.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Based on the way he 'ripped it up' against Championship West Brom, Derby and Millwall, this season...?

If you could stop sticking the knife in at every opportunity and consider that confidence, a run of games and playing in a team that has a clue how to attack may have something to do with his performances.

You really do sound bitter and twisted about it all though, almost like you want him to fail so that you don’t end up being proved a bit clueless, which may or may not happen but **** me there are fans with downs on our players.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If you could stop sticking the knife in at every opportunity and consider that confidence, a run of games and playing in a team that has a clue how to attack may have something to do with his performances.

You really do sound bitter and twisted about it all though, almost like you want him to fail so that you don’t end up being proved a bit clueless, which may or may not happen but **** me there are fans with downs on our players.

I support the Albion. In the 37 years I've been ploughing my time, money, energy and emotion into supporting the club, we haven't signed ONE player, that I haven't WANTED to be amazing.

This thread, and people's refusal to accept the evidence of their eyes, in favour of clinging to ever-more tenuous excuses, just baffles and amuses me in equal measure.

I don't want Alireza Jahanbaksh to fail. That is stupid. I want him to be absolutely brilliant, because I want the Albion to win football matches, and because I don't like the idea of Tony Bloom being mugged off.

As for being concerned about being 'proved clueless', I couldn't give a flying ****. I've been wrong about players before, and I undoubtedly will be again. I thought David Livermore, Kemy Agustien and Stephen Dobbie were all going to be brilliant signings.

I'll happily eat humble pie, if the lad proves to be worth half of what we paid for him, starting with a crucial match tomorrow.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I support the Albion. In the 37 years I've been ploughing my time, money, energy and emotion into supporting the club, we haven't signed ONE player, that I haven't WANTED to be amazing.

This thread, and people's refusal to accept the evidence of their eyes, in favour of clinging to ever-more tenuous excuses, just baffles and amuses me in equal measure.

I don't want Alireza Jahanbaksh to fail. That is stupid. I want him to be absolutely brilliant, because I want the Albion to win football matches, and because I don't like the idea of Tony Bloom being mugged off.

As for being concerned about being 'proved clueless', I couldn't give a flying ****. I've been wrong about players before, and I undoubtedly will be again. I thought David Livermore, Kemy Agustien and Stephen Dobbie were all going to be brilliant signings.

I'll happily eat humble pie, if the lad proves to be worth half of what we paid for him, starting with a crucial match tomorrow.

:clap2:

Exactly.

Pointing out that a few of our recent signings haven't represented value for money and are struggling at this level is nowhere NEAR the same as wanting them to fail. I will be overjoyed if, come 5.30 tomorrow afternoon, Locadia rips Newcastle a new one, Ali J chips in with a brilliant goal and a daring assist and Montoya suddenly becomes an all-star mash up of Bruno, Kyle Walker and a youthful Gary Neville. I don't think any of that is likely but that doesn't mean that us winning a vital game, and our new players suddenly showing why they are worth their place, wouldn't be worth [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] smugly bouncing a thread, stroking their chins and saying "I told you so".

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Always has been and sadly always will be.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:clap2:

Exactly.

Pointing out that a few of our recent signings haven't represented value for money and are struggling at this level is nowhere NEAR the same as wanting them to fail. I will be overjoyed if, come 5.30 tomorrow afternoon, Locadia rips Newcastle a new one, Ali J chips in with a brilliant goal and a daring assist and Montaoya suddenly becomes an all-star mash up of Bruno, Kyle Walker and a youthful Gary Neville. I don't think any of that is likely but that doesn't mean that us winning a vital game, and our new players suddenly showing why they are worth their place, wouldn't be worth [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] smugly bouncing a thread, stroking their chins and saying "I told you so".
As I have repeatedly said that won't be me, as I have never championed Ali J.

As you already know and have replied too I don't believe Ali singlefootedly blowing Newcastle off the pitch tomorrow really changes that much, no more than a goal going in off his arse.

In the unlikely event that I have a 'told you so' moment it'll only come when those who have been so keen to call him shitehouse (because that's what my eyes told me) were to ever say, 'blimey I was far to quick to judge Ali during an unsettled first season'.

Sadly though history would suggest many posters are terrified at the thought of admitting they were wrong and losing face, ironically, on a faceless messageboard so that seems very remote.

Worst still the entire and identical argument would have moved on by then away, to the next poor sap to roll into town.
That player seemingly being McAllister who sadly, though NOT unbelievably, already has a couple of haters on this board.

#NotEvenAFootballer.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Seriously, you think AJ's confidence is in anyway affected by a few rants on here... if it is, he needs to grow a pair... meanwhile, he needs to be kept off the team-sheet so that we have an enhanced chance of actually scoring a goal... next season he may come good, I grant you that... but Mr Zero Contribution can do one until 2019/20 IMHO...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seriously, you think AJ's confidence is in anyway affected by a few rants on here... if it is, he needs to grow a pair... meanwhile, he needs to be kept off the team-sheet so that we have an enhanced chance of actually scoring a goal... next season he may come good, I grant you that... but Mr Zero Contribution can do one until 2019/20 IMHO...

:lolol: of course I don’t, it’s just the usual suspects making snidey remarks whenever anyone suggests a viewpoint different to theirs.

AJ may or may not come good but he has already been written off in what has been a difficult season for him and the club.

Both AJ and Locadia are bearing the brunt of rightly disgruntled fans at our inability to attack like a TEAM. But Murray has looked shit since January, Knocky, a wonder goal apart, has been slagged off too. March has been better than most but overall he’s done the sum of sweet FA but gets away with it because he’s “one of our own”. Andone after a bright start plays like a nutter.

None of the strikers and wingers have looked remotely like Premier League players recently but let’s single out a couple of the newbies and write them off as useless.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here