Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matty Ryan pre/post Asian cup

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Opposite of last season. Conceding from every corner but now he just can’t make a save. Low confidence throughout the whole team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Is he though?

Since the Asian cup when was his last ‘wow’ save, the one he saved in the semi-final, was a good height for him.

He seems to concede a lot of goals when the angle is actually in his favour.

At the moment I am on the fence as to whether he is good enough. The trouble is Button isn’t good enough either.

What did Button do wrong? I don't think we lost a game with him playing in goal.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Pre Asian cup - makes saves which help the team

Post Asian cup - looks like Wayne Henderson.

I love Matty. But he has to start earning his spot by saving a shot on target. Today they had 6 on target and scored 5. Cup semi they had 2.

Note. I’m not calling for him to be dropped, but pre Asian cup Matty would have saved more today.

Am I wrong?

You think he could have saved Man City's gosl?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Burnley are flogging Nick Pope this summer.

Let's buy him.

This with bells on.

Ryan hasn't been the same this year. Not good for the Premier League. Apart from shot stopping, he's not got much going for him.

I would think Jack Butland is out of our price range, but him or Nick Pope if we stay up.

I am sorry, but Matty Ryan was struggling to reach the half way line with a number of kicks out of his hands yesterday. I don't expect that from a reserve Division 9 sunday monring goalkeeper, let alone a Premier League keeper. Simply not good enough for a lower/mid table top flight keeper. .

theboybilly

Poorest ball player of any keeper in the PL. I've seen 15 year old keepers kick better.

Do you honestly think that's true? Albion seem to be the team that rely on their 'keeper to clear their lines much more than any other. I don't think Maty is at all bad with his distribution when you consider there isn't that much to aim for up front

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What did Button do wrong? I don't think we lost a game with him playing in goal.

Flapped about in the cup games, had a ‘moment’ at West Ham which he got away with, plus questionable positioning on their equaliser.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Do you honestly think that's true? Albion seem to be the team that rely on their 'keeper to clear their lines much more than any other. I don't think Maty is at all bad with his distribution when you consider there isn't that much to aim for up front
I’m certain along with many others. His drop kicking is amateurish.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I am not in the game of slagging any player who wears our shirt off but I do think international duty has had an adverse effect upon a number of our players and that international breaks have seen dips in the team performances as a whole.

Button is in my opinion to good a keeper to be a number two not getting games at a team like Brighton he deserves to be playing for a lower end Prem team week in week out.

I would like to have seen some squard rotation with Ryan keeps everyone hungry

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I don't think a plane ride and a few matches in another team can turn an amazing goalkeeper into a shit one.

I think terrible defending and allowing 14 attempts on goal at home against Bournemouth might just have something to do with it....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Every time I log onto NSC there is another thread absolutely SLAUGHTERING one of our players.

Hardly a surprise, they're all crap at the moment, but wouldn't it be easier to just have one thread where we talk about the players who aren't gash at the moment? We could call it the Shane Duffy thread.

As for Ryan, clearly this year he's not in the form he has been for most of his time here, but he hasn't turned into a shit keeper overnight. I am disappointed that he's lost command of our area and possibly the confidence of our defenders, but the comments on his kicking on this thread are absolutely CLUELESS.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Every time I log onto NSC there is another thread absolutely SLAUGHTERING one of our players.

Hardly a surprise, they're all crap at the moment, but wouldn't it be easier to just have one thread where we talk about the players who aren't gash at the moment? We could call it the Shane Duffy thread.

As for Ryan, clearly this year he's not in the form he has been for most of his time here, but he hasn't turned into a shit keeper overnight. I am disappointed that he's lost command of our area and possibly the confidence of our defenders, but the comments on his kicking on this thread are absolutely CLUELESS.

Not anti Ryan but I’m not sure he has ever commanded his area since arriving.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
I think he has, and there is visibly less confidence in him from our two centre halves these days.

The two centre halves is a valid point.In fairness to Ryan I believe he is the best we’ve got.Re Duffy/Dunk while the have admirable qualities I’m afraid against fast mobile forwards the two of them together can be horribly exposed

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think Ryan is a good keeper, but have never thought he commands his area and defenders like say Kuipers used to, you could hear him bellowing all game! having heard Ryan speak on the radio last week, I don't think there's much between the ears.

No keeper can keep a clean sheet playing on his own though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This idea that Ryan has never commanded his area really is daft IMO. Those 3 wins on the bounce included 2 fortuitous 1-0 home wins (Wolves, West Ham), and the one against West Ham was absolutely defined by sound organisation at the back - and that starts with Ryan. He absolutely has commanded his area with authority at times, but definitely not since returning from that tin pot Asia competition.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Don't agree. Maty is a terrific keeper but he appears to have an interesting communication strategy with his defenders which is basically to let the defenders make the decisions. They communicate to him rather than the other way around. Now this doesn't usually get exposed as the defenders are physically dominant, good at decision making and understand this is set up we have, so as our problems go, this isn't our biggest. In any case, this hasn't changed since after the Asia cup. It's always been the case.

In my view, Maty's biggest problem, is the lack of serious pressure on his place. We should be looking to rectify this in the summer.

This idea that Ryan has never commanded his area really is daft IMO. Those 3 wins on the bounce included 2 fortuitous 1-0 home wins (Wolves, West Ham), and the one against West Ham was absolutely defined by sound organisation at the back - and that starts with Ryan. He absolutely has commanded his area with authority at times, but definitely not since returning from that tin pot Asia competition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here