Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Great photos on here! I need to get my sensor cleaned on my 80D, I have a few marks. I have tried a blower and its not cleared them. As I am in Burgess Hill I was going to use Park Cameras and just wondered if anyone has used them and if they'd recommend them? Also work in Brighton so that's an option too but I want the camera back for Easter and Park Cameras do a three day option. Thanks.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Great photos on here! I need to get my sensor cleaned on my 80D, I have a few marks. I have tried a blower and its not cleared them. As I am in Burgess Hill I was going to use Park Cameras and just wondered if anyone has used them and if they'd recommend them? Also work in Brighton so that's an option too but I want the camera back for Easter and Park Cameras do a three day option. Thanks.

Thumbs up from me for Park Cameras

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

It's very easy to clean a camera sensor. Loads of "How to's" on You Tube. Just buy a sensor cleaning kit and follow an appropriate video. It's a piece of pee. I know this, as I've done it myself, initially thinking it was complicated, but it really is easy. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It's very easy to clean a camera sensor. Loads of "How to's" on You Tube. Just buy a sensor cleaning kit and follow an appropriate video. It's a piece of pee. I know this, as I've done it myself, initially thinking it was complicated, but it really is easy. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Scary the first time though!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Scary the first time though!

It is, but completely unfounded! I can now do it with my eyes closed, although that's not the best way to do it.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Not used them but Clock Tower Cameras do it as well. Would have thought it would be a 24 hour turnaround.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010

I have watched the videos and it doesn't look too bad but I'm just one of those people that will end up adding to the problem.

Which kit do you use out of interest?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I have watched the videos and it doesn't look too bad but I'm just one of those people that will end up adding to the problem.

I've always used Eclipse solution and standard sensor swabs - which came as a kit from a local camera store (I have a feeling it might have been this kit https://photosol.com/products/digital-survival-kit/). But I've bought new swabs online since. The key is to make sure they are fully sealed before using them, and only use them once - and get the right size for your sensor, they're not all the same and having one too large just means you'll drag dirt onto the sensor (and one too small means going over it more than once with all the risks that poses). I did try cutting up some pec-pads to make new swabs once, but I don't think that was such a good idea - it's worth the money to buy new sealed / sterilised ones. But, it's also worth buying some pec-pads (or similar) as well, because drops of the Eclipse fluid on them can very effectively clean your lenses, LCD screen, viewfinder (externally) and any pairs of glasses if you wear them.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

I can't find the name of the kit, but I bought it from Digipad on Amazon.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Speck in the sky over the white house

I think you need to consider whether camera size is an issue i.e. DSLRs are heavier and bigger than Mirrorless which are heavier and bigger than compacts.

Bridge cameras are big but generally lighter than a DSLR and can come with fantastic zooms (60x) BUT generally they use small sensors so image quality can be questionable . 60x zoom can be difficult to control.

Taking pictures of young children running around is very different to family portraits

What experience do you have with cameras?

Would you be put off by buying second hand. Most of the cameras I have had have been second hand and had no problems. In fact the two cameras I bought from new are only ones to have had failures.

Do you have a camera in mind but are looking for views?

I endorse bridge cameras. I don't know which one is best though. The standard of the long range telephoto is a bit iffy in the English weather.

I use the Canon SX60 but it is getting a bit tired and old now.

Second hand lens usually a better bet than second hand cameras.

e.g. https://www.flickr.com/photos/shoreham/40755629212/

WWater_6454e2sm.JPG

A medium entry level DSLR with a very big lens will do better. I think if I started again I would go down the mirrorless route as I like the articulating screens. I also like viewfinders. Depends upon what you want to take pictures of really?

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I endorse bridge cameras. I don't know which one is best though. The standard of the long range telephoto is a bit iffy in the English weather.

I use the Canon SX60 but it is getting a bit tired and old now.

Second hand lens usually a better bet than second hand cameras.

e.g. https://www.flickr.com/photos/shoreham/40755629212/

View attachment 95476

A medium entry level DSLR with a very big lens will do better. I think if I started again I would go down the mirrorless route as I like the articulating screens. I also like viewfinders. Depends upon what you want to take pictures of really?

The poster mentioned wildlife. Nice picture.

I guess the issue? with bridge cameras like yours will be the small sensor tied in with the 50X zoom which really is ambitious if you want 'inyourface' highly defined objects. Not sure what zoom level you had on for this but I suspect it is reasonably high. i think the picture produced though is very good (i would be pleased if it were mine because i keep trying to capture these and can't as they fly off). The bridge cameras with bigger sensors all have smaller zooms either 10 or 15. If you get a DSLR then most you will get is 20 and to be honest unless you are spending thousands the lens might not be an improvement. The largest lens I have is a panasonic 100-300 which translates to 20x zoom due to the 2 times crop factor. I do have a fuji bridge which i like because it is light weight and gives a 40X zoom. It is a bit soft though. This image was taken with fuji. The fox was about 40 yards away sat still.
fox.jpg

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Look for the white house and the speck above it. It is not good enough nowadays. But a DSLR with a big zoom lens cost £2500. and its bulky and heavy. Instead of getting of getting a Nikon D7500 I bought second-hand D5300 which is a good starter camera, better than a D3200.

It's a bit of a trick really. These starter cameras have limitations and to get a camera that does what I want cost lots of dosh.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If we beat Man United 3-1, I'm gonna get one of those super telephoto zoom lens. Sigma or Tamron?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Flickr.
All my photos have disappeared! Anyone else? Any clues what to do? Have they all gone for ever? ???

Attachments

• Flickr.JPG
    Flickr.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 112

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here