Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Bruce Springsteen

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don’t you find it quite ironic given your comments above that BTR is very high up in the top ten of dad-rock tracks :lolol:

Ironic? Irony? ???

Yes, I guess so. The track BTR is not my favourite on the album though. Jungleland, tenth avenue freeze out, night, thunder road and backstreets beat it for me. :lolol:

Just listening to the newish Gong album my son bought me for my 61st. Gong still good without Daevid Allen. Who knew? :thumbsup:

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Anyone else seen that cleaning company in Brighton called Spruce Springclean?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I took the Mrs to Milan in 2003 to see Bruce at the San Siro on the Rising tour.
Without doubt the greatest gig I have ever seen.
We were in the Gods on the top tier and Bruce and the band came on stage to Italian operatic music. It was hot, about 36 degrees and very humid.
Bruce, with his Italian heritage, said how pleased he was to be back home, and started with The Promised Land, the home crowd of 70,000 went mad.
Five songs into the set, it went black, the wind got up and it absolutely hosed it down, we were on the top tier and we got soaked, even under the roof.
I have never seen rain like it. The metro was closed afterwards and all the traffic lights short circuited cos of the rain. The crush of the fans in the pit just stayed there
and got drenched, the umbrela salesmen appeared from nowhere,
Bruce just ponced a stetson from a fan and strutted about the stage singing Waiting for a Sunny Day, classic.
But then he did the Boss special, changed the set list, had a word with the band, and before you knew it, Who's Gonna Stop The Rain, the Creedence classic was played.
The weather eased, but I can honestly say you will never experience a better gig in your life.
I have a DVD of the concert, unbelievable. Go on You Tube and see if you can find footage of The San SIro conert of 2003, you wont be sorry.

Pembury Seagull

Mar 4, 2017
On The Edge of Town
My Springsteen epiphany also came at the Wembley Arena either late '90's/early noughties. Althought a fan I did approach the gig in a "go on then, impress me" frame of mind. I was not disappointed and this was with the full E-Street - "Big Man" included. He owned the audience, particularly with the band introductions which were wonderfully over the top and culminated in him "forgetting" Clarence and having to be prompted by the audience. He had probably done this hundreds of times but it worked.

Great show and, as pointed out in another thread, joint greatest rock front man with Phil Lynott (RIP). I recall an interview with Lynott that I read where he stated that, when discussing the matter with Bruce the both agreed that "Van the Man" was the guy who influenced them the most.

.....And returning to the original topic, have listened to the new album once and consider it splendid.

Reckon Norman means Earls Court rather than Wembley......

New album? From early listens it has some very strong tracks. No ‘Jungleland’ or ‘Incident on 57th Street’, but this songs were unique.

Looking forward to a tour in 2020

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I took the Mrs to Milan in 2003 to see Bruce at the San Siro on the Rising tour.
We were in the Gods on the top tier and Bruce and the band came on stage to Italian operatic music. It was hot, about 36 degrees and very humid.
Bruce, with his Italian heritage, said how pleased he was to be back home, and started with The Promised Land, the home crowd of 70,000 went mad.
Five songs into the set, it went black, the wind got up and it absolutely hosed it down, we were on the top tier and we got soaked, even under the roof.
I have never seen rain like it. The metro was closed afterwards and all the traffic lights short circuited cos of the rain. The crush of the fans in the pit just stayed there
Bruce just ponced a stetson from a fan and strutted about the stage singing Waiting for a Sunny Day, classic.
But then he did the Boss special, changed the set list, had a word with the band, and before you knew it, Who's Gonna Stop The Rain, the Creedence classic was played.
The weather eased, but I can honestly say you will never experience a better gig in your life.
I have a DVD of the concert, unbelievable. Go on You Tube and see if you can find footage of The San SIro conert of 2003, you wont be sorry.

I believe he played Who'll Stop The Rain at Brighton Centre, way back when. That was also the first time I heard This Land Is Your Land.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I believe he played Who'll Stop The Rain at Brighton Centre, way back when. That was also the first time I heard This Land Is Your Land.

The Brighton Centre one (1981) was my first Bruce gig. Have been hooked ever since and seen him loads of time in many places. Every gig is unique and they are all brilliant. For me he is the ultimate live act, no one else comes close.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I first saw him in Hyde Park in 2012 (to link to previous CCR references, John Fogerty was the chief support act).

I got there about lunchtime to try to get near-ish to the front, Bruce came on about 7, although there had been four acts on during the afternoon. I was just slightly starting to wonder if all the hype around him as a live performer was worth the waiting (in changeable weather, to say the least) when he walked on with just his harmonica and Roy Bittan at the piano and kicked off with stunning acoustic version of Thunder Road. After that, the band joined him and they launched into three hours of non- stop, superb rock and roll.

Bruce and the band in full flow are unrivalled as live performers IMO, and I certainly hope I get to see them and have that kind of experience again.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
I have just listened to the new album - not my favourite (Darkness being the best among many superb albums), but I quite like it and no doubt it will grow on me. As his albums go, this is very mellow for Springsteen.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
https://youtu.be/oNTp6QDxIgk

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I’ve been to hundreds and hundreds of gigs over the years - all the top bands from the past, major festivals, intimate small venues - all music genres, and seen some amazing atmospheres and music.

But I can honestly say that the three hours and 40 minutes of his Wembley gig 2016, was the best gig I have ever attended, ever, anywhere.
Considering he was nearly 68, and just didn’t stop in that time, blew me away.

I didn’t think we would see him tour again - but maybe we’ll be lucky. This album could be interesting.

He has been quoted as saying he is recording an album with the E Street band which is due to be completed in the autumn and they will then be going on tour in 2020.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Whilst appreciating just how good he is, I have never been a massive fan, for some reason.

However I stumbled across his latest album - Western Stars and thought I’d have a listen expecting to rush through the tracks and file under “yeah, very good but same old and not for me”

It is so different to anything I’ve heard from him before, especially the track below which is very schmaltzy and almost cheesy, but I bloody love this album

What think you long time Springsteen fans?

I think it’s the Country influence and the orchestration that got me :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbDKBcPsmoQ

I bought this yesterday and am saving it for an evening with a whisky.

I was never a massive fan of Springsteen until I saw him do the Super Bowl show a few years back. Even then, he only changed my opinion from 'Meh' until 'Pretty Good'.

Then a member of the family was chatting to me and had seen him live. He recommended I go, so I go tickets for Cardiff.

He was immense. Probably the best act live that I've seen. The sheer energy and joy he puts into shows and the fact that he just wants to entertain the crowd carries everything before him. As a result I started exploring his back catalogue in detail.

Around the same time, Billy Bragg was interviewed by the BBC and was talking about unsung protest singers. Bragg was singing the praises of Springsteen and many of his little known tracks. Again, I started to listen to him differently, and discovered the heart of the guy and his values.

I think for people like me, so much Springsteen marketing of the 80s positioned him as just another razzmatazz American rock singer. He is so much more. An artist I discovered late, once I'd put my prejudices to one side.

Go and see him! (except you can't as he won't tour again, but I hope I'm wrong.)

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Never been a fan myself but this

this is beautiful.

The whole album is good actually.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I was never a big fan of Springsteen until I saw him live. He brings the songs to life when he is singing them.

The Devils and Dust gig at the Royal Albert Hall (2005) is up there with the best gigs I have been to. His vocal range and ability is stunning, if not the best. .

Last time I saw him was in the amazing Circus Maximus (Rome) in 2016. On a very hot and sunny evening/night he played for over 4 hours - looking at the set list 34 songs. The solo acoustic version of The Ghost of Tom Joad was one of the best songs I have seen performed live ever.

I have not heard the new CD yet, looking forward to it.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Well Fathers Day has come and gone and the album duly arrived with thanks to Earle Jr. I've just listened all the way through in one hit and it's a lovely piece of work. Something of a cinematic feel to it in the same way as Glen Campbell with the guitar tones and orchestral touches to just add enough colour to make the songs interesting. I really liked it and oddly some of the vocal stylings remind me of a band from possibly the 90s, but I can't put my finger on which one. Hopefully someone will recognise the reference and let me know.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I bought this yesterday and am saving it for an evening with a whisky.

I was never a massive fan of Springsteen until I saw him do the Super Bowl show a few years back. Even then, he only changed my opinion from 'Meh' until 'Pretty Good'.

Then a member of the family was chatting to me and had seen him live. He recommended I go, so I go tickets for Cardiff.

He was immense. Probably the best act live that I've seen. The sheer energy and joy he puts into shows and the fact that he just wants to entertain the crowd carries everything before him. As a result I started exploring his back catalogue in detail.

Around the same time, Billy Bragg was interviewed by the BBC and was talking about unsung protest singers. Bragg was singing the praises of Springsteen and many of his little known tracks. Again, I started to listen to him differently, and discovered the heart of the guy and his values.

I think for people like me, so much Springsteen marketing of the 80s positioned him as just another razzmatazz American rock singer. He is so much more. An artist I discovered late, once I'd put my prejudices to one side.

Go and see him! (except you can't as he won't tour again, but I hope I'm wrong.)

I followed him back in the days when everyone looked blank and asked "Bruce who" when I raved about him, but I agree about the 80's marketing being very off-putting. I also hated that everyone else seemed to suddenly discover him around Born in the USA. But he just keeps going and going, and his take on the "human condition" makes total sense. My hero.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here