Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Saturday - bad vibes in the family area

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
E1G is family area, adjacent is E1H where generally guests, sponsors, and general sale tickets are as the club don't really have any season ticket holders here.

I suspect because E1H is readily available and being next to E1G, and the whole of the East Lower is designated the 'Respect Stand', that the OP thought they were in the family area, which is perfectly understandable given this is where you will find many neutrals, families, and supporters who don't attend regularly.

Ah, right, cheers, never knew that. Maybe down to the club to make it a bit clearer, to save folks innocently stumbling into a less friendly area. Tho there's no accounting for aggressive muppets that can't hold their drink.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agreed.

I wonder how many of those who think its okay to give someone grief have sat in home ends when Albion are on the road.
I've sat in the home end twice following the Albion - no bother at West Ham or Southampton for me. It really ought to be the case that if you act respectfully (no colours, don't be a gobshite) then you should be left alone.

This bloke has done his homework, bought tix in a quiet area next to the family stand and has been the victim of a couple of proper drippy sad sacks who can't cope with a handful of away fans in this day and age. It is pitiful really. Rules is rules and all that but until the Amex has a designated neutral zone for groups like this, his only other option appeared to be to not go. In which case, the sad sacks seeking aggravation win.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've sat in the home end twice following the Albion - no bother at West Ham or Southampton for me. It really ought to be the case that if you act respectfully (no colours, don't be a gobshite) then you should be left alone.

This bloke has done his homework, bought tix in a quiet area next to the family stand and has been the victim of a couple of proper drippy sad sacks who can't cope with a handful of away fans in this day and age. It is pitiful really. Rules is rules and all that but until the Amex has a designated neutral zone for groups like this, his only other option appeared to be to not go. In which case, the sad sacks seeking aggravation win.

Alternatively:

1. This bloke needed 11 tickets. The only place you're likely to get that number in a group for a single game is E1H.
2. E1H is immediately adjacent to the away fans.

...and, again...

3. Views are being taken based on just one side of the story.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I remember a Leeds fan in the home end at Withers the most entertaining thing all afternoon was seeing him get dragged out by stewards at half time. He was a middle aged chap doing no harm whatsoever until some middle aged Brighton fans took offence to him being there, all a bit pathetic really.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I remember a Leeds fan in the home end at Withers the most entertaining thing all afternoon was seeing him get dragged out by stewards at half time. He was a middle aged chap doing no harm whatsoever until some middle aged Brighton fans took offence to him being there, all a bit pathetic really.

Think I remember that and equally when Norwich visited including an 85 year old if that being threatened with eviction until a bunch of us told the stewards to behave. Pathetic really. When we were at Anfield the Red fans didn’t give a monkeys and we were able to where our scarves in home ends. They were really interested to hear about our club in fact.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Just read that back to yourself and think just how wrong that sounds
Doesn't sound wrong at all. I have no wish to fight anyone and will happily discuss stuff before and after the match with opposing supporters, but in the game it should all be about the Albion much as [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] stated.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Which begs the question then, if you're a large group of friends who have members who support both teams, where exactly should you go in the Amex? Family stand would seem about right if lots of kids, where else would be more appropriate? Or is it just simply 'not allowed'? Rugby, cricket fans all mix, but football fans can't even manage it one small part of the ground

As long as you're discreet, wherever you want (as I said in my post iI took a Geordie pal (who has lived in Sussex longer than I have) with me on Saturday - no colours and no obvious signs of happiness when they scored) unless we go all Fulham and create/designate a neutral zone. Can't see the big deal - don't give the bellends something to have a go at.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I suspect because E1H is readily available and being next to E1G, and the whole of the East Lower is designated the 'Respect Stand', that the OP thought they were in the family area, which is perfectly understandable given this is where you will find many neutrals, families, and supporters who don't attend regularly.

Hmmm.. a casual fan wouldn't know any of that when booking.

They do, however, pass through this screen...

Select Tickets for Albion v Manchester City  Seagulls Tickets.png

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Point remains that the OP is moaning about the reception at a party he wasn’t invited to.

Elsewhere in this thread, an Albion fan was assaulted by a Newcastle fan in the home end.

These flash points are going to happen if away fans sit where they’re not supposed to.

I too think it’s lame that rival fans can’t sit together sensibly, but that’s football.

If you want to change it at the Albion, why not lobby the club to create a mixed zone?

In the meantime, probably best if everyone sticks to the rules on match day..

Oh, and don’t bring a sign into the home end asking for an opposition player’s shirt. :ffsparr:

No, point is one bellend doesn’t mean everything needs to be changed. Other fans quite ok with. We’ve all come across these idiots and they’re pathetic. Despite away fans being perfectly civil they’re the ones causing problems. Even with kids and wives in tow. I’m surprised anyone over 18 isn’t able to handle someone with a different accent being in ‘their territory’. But then again, sounds like the knob in question is only 1 step away from spraying his scent to mark his seat, cocked leg and all. I love the tribal nature of our game but some people take it way too far. A couple of geordies in a family group and a grown male decides its ok to start a fight and be abusive. Pathetic. Remember, the same types will pick a fight with you out of nowhere despite you being ‘on the same side’. Maybe you said something. Maybe you didn’t sing. Maybe you did sing. These tossers really are able to start a fight in a paper bag remember. You’re next. Remember that before you condone based on a seat number!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
According to the live poll, over 80% of Albion fans are not okay with it.

There is a difference between 'allowing' away fans in any home stand, and 'tolerating' away fans in any home stand.

Do I think Albion should change their rules - No. Am I particularly bothered if an Albion fan brings a supporter of another team with them - No.

Werther

Apr 29, 2019
OP here, just wanted to say thanks for the replies and would also like to address a couple of points.

It seems I was wrong about E1H being an official 'family stand' I do recall reading that the East Stand was the most "family friendly" and I think I misinterpreted that as a 'family stand'. My mistake.

A few people have pointed out you've only heard one side of the story. That's true of course, and there's not much I can do about that. All I can do is underline that we really were trying to be low-key. We may be Newcastle supporters, but we are not *completely* stupid :) Definitely no shirts, scarves, hats. Polite applause and poker faces all round ! As an example - when Newcastle scored, my daughter looked at me and asked why I wasn't happy

To the poster who said I should accept some the blame for putting my daughter at risk, well I guess there's some truth in that. But the risk I had considered was of taking a bit of stick / banter from Brighton fans. I really had not considered the risk of such a hate-filled reaction. So in that regard, I guess I was a little naïve. Lesson learned for next time.

Sadly, at the moment, I'm not sure there will be a next time. Most of our group, including the Brighton fans, were a bit shaken by the experience. As far as I can see, there's no way for a group like ours to legitimately watch the match together - and sitting apart really wouldn't be the same.

Anyway - I'll leave it there. I really want to see Brighton stay up, so very best of luck for the next couple of games.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Not gone through the whole thread chap, but this bloke you got lumbered with sounds like an utter piece of filth, and I'm sorry you and your party had to put up with someone like that. We have no "beef" with Newcastle, and quite honestly if I found myself sat next to a fan of the opposition, whoever we were playing, then as long as he's not being a dick, I'd actually welcome the opportunity to have a chat about our respective teams and maybe learn something along the way. Its only bloody football after all.

You've got to be a real sad act to give grief to an oppo fan in the home end. I work with a Watford fan, and have arranged a ticket for him in the WSU whenever we play, and he does the same for me (and a couple of mates) when we play at VR. We don't wear colours, we are respectful, but we make no secret of being BHA - and whaddya know, the folk around us are absolutely fine with it and we have a good old chat during the game. Frankly, its absolutely PATHETIC that a grown man should show physical animosity towards someone else because of the team they support.

Its embarrasing. I really hope your daughter hasn't been completely put off by the experience. That is NOT the norm, it sounds like you were just terribly unlucky to be seated with an absolute cockjuggling thundercunt.

Your posts usually make me not bother posting as you reflect my opinions, but I disagree here.

Firstly, he/they were not in the Family Section, they were at the opposite end of the lower east next to the away fans. Should also be noted that tensions were bound to be high in this particular game.

Second, we only have half a story. Does the op know for sure that one of them hadnt been winding up said albion fan prior to this? Considering we were a goal down for most of the match this wouldn't seem outside the realms of possibility.

Third, it goes without saying that this bloke acted like a prize tosser and in no way am I condoning his actions.

However, I don't agree that people should just be ok with sitting next to opposition fans. Personally speaking, and I have done it many times, it takes something away from the occasion. I am not one to take offence or bother with this kind of nonsense, but I know some otherwise good people who would, and have done so in the past. Not to the extent this bloke did, but certainly words have been exchanged which have often resulted in confrontations. It's the very reason it's written in the terms that home stands are barred from away supporters. I still travel home and away and I agree that conversations with opposition fans en route, before and after the game are more interesting than the same old debates with fellow fans, but when at the match celebrating in whatever juvenile way I happen to at the time feels slightly awkward with someone next to me who is hurting whilst I'm elated. Conversely, It's hard not to feel resentment if you're getting beat and I'm almost certain the majority of people would prefer to be sitting around people who are sharing the same emotions.

After the game it's done, and just a minute or two of reflection is enough to be in a state of mind again to remember that there is life outside of football. I think that is more the norm to be honest and the tribal escapism is the reason the sport is more passionately contested than any other.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
OP here, just wanted to say thanks for the replies and would also like to address a couple of points.

It seems I was wrong about E1H being an official 'family stand' I do recall reading that the East Stand was the most "family friendly" and I think I misinterpreted that as a 'family stand'. My mistake.

A few people have pointed out you've only heard one side of the story. That's true of course, and there's not much I can do about that. All I can do is underline that we really were trying to be low-key. We may be Newcastle supporters, but we are not *completely* stupid :) Definitely no shirts, scarves, hats. Polite applause and poker faces all round ! As an example - when Newcastle scored, my daughter looked at me and asked why I wasn't happy

To the poster who said I should accept some the blame for putting my daughter at risk, well I guess there's some truth in that. But the risk I had considered was of taking a bit of stick / banter from Brighton fans. I really had not considered the risk of such a hate-filled reaction. So in that regard, I guess I was a little naïve. Lesson learned for next time.

Sadly, at the moment, I'm not sure there will be a next time. Most of our group, including the Brighton fans, were a bit shaken by the experience. As far as I can see, there's no way for a group like ours to legitimately watch the match together - and sitting apart really wouldn't be the same.

Anyway - I'll leave it there. I really want to see Brighton stay up, so very best of luck for the next couple of games.

I think we're all sorry you came across an obnoxious Albion fan. Can't condone his actions at all.

But if any of us did the same at St James Park - with your lot battling to avoid relegation - you couldn't guarantee that we wouldn't be confronted by an obnoxious Newcastle fan.

Anyway, I'm done too. Interesting discussion. All the best.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The Amex is not alone in that. in fact, Fulham seems to be the only ground that does have a neutral area for groups like yours, and even they seemed to be less accommodating this season, presumably due to the influx of their less-committed fans suddenly keen to come along to see some Premier League action.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Makes me think how much I could 'lose my sense of humour' if there are Man City fans in the home end celebrating while we are going down.

Must make a special effort to be chilled out, I suppose.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Personally, feel a bit ashamed that you've experienced an utter twonk ruining your day, and potentially denying the Albion some new young supporters, and maybe a few older converts.

E1H is generally tickets that go last as members and those with loyalty points will generally look elsewhere in the ground. Very few season ticket holders in this bit. A bit surprised that is some idiot trying to give himself some sort of prize bellend award like he is a no.1 fan or something, when he was probably given his ticket and rarely goes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here