Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would a 17th placed finish in the Premier League next year constitute success?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Yes and no , if we finish 17th but play well and entertain more then a yes...

I see that way of thinking, and I've even touted this myself - but drawing or losing every week after giving it a 'jolly good go' would become tiresome, too. If we end up 17th again, we're clearly a bit shit - and that's not really the idea if we're looking to move forwards.

In the first half yesterday I've never been so close to running up to the front row, leaning over the hoardings and screaming at the players "PRESS FOR THE F*CKING BALL, MAKE SOME F*CKING TACKLES AND RUN INTO SPACE TO RECEIVE SOME PASSES YOU LAZY BUNCH OF F*CKERS" :angry::angry::angry:

I can't remember who made the run down the wing (possibly Gross) but he was ripping down the wing and almost at the corner flag, when Izquierdo comes casually jogging past my seat... on the f*cking halfway line!!!!!! Good job I'd had my bottle top taken off me or I'd have lobbed it at the back of his head.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Yes but if we don't have the level of injuries/suspensions/Asia cup we had this year I would be slightly underwhelmed. Another decent cup run would help.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’ll settle for being entertained in most of the defeats, not sure I can stomach another season like this one. I’ll keep my season ticket but I’ll be missing plenty more games next season if we carry on with the shit tactics and performances of the last four home games.

**** the goal difference, it’s only worth a point in the season.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
And there’s the rub. What defines success? Staying in PL, winning games or being entertained ?

I know TBs definition.

I would be interested to know this because I haven’t a clue. He is a fan, looks anguished when watching matches. Wants them to stay in the Premier League. Holds the purse strings. But I have never heard him comment on how he would like to see them play.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It would mean we have made no progress and will go down sooner rather than later, as we are running out of teams worse than us.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Just because we spent less than Fulham it doesn't follow we're less likely to finish above them as understanding of teammates and tactics counts for much. However, Albion are battle weary with Hughton's tactics, we will have to come up with a Plan B and so I don't think being 19th in the spending table next season will be enough. We have to take the plunge and replace Murray and that means identifying someone more mobile but with something like his nous and gamecraft. I'd be happy with 17th if that meant reaching 40 points.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Provided we don't spunk 100M plus on loads of singing then I'd be pleased to stay up in 17th yes. Style wise I'm not fussed being defensive, if we show effort and determination, can break on overcommited teams to an average standard and we actually attack when finding ourselves behind to non-top-6 sides.

It feels it every year lately, but the teams coming up are bigger and richer than those going down which will put us even lower on the finance tables.

A few years ago when Bournemouths and Burnley's went up they were like we were before, ahead of a couple clubs but still had to fight like hell to survive and thrive. We are beginning to look bottom of the 'HISTORICAL size' charts and it's time to step up and cement ourselves to change that or else we could well drop back down next year (and I didn't think we would either of these past two seasons)!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think it's difficult to answer because there's so little to go on. How big a gap is there between 17th and 18th? Are we biting our nails on the last day because it's so close, or were the bottom 3 so bad the rest of us were safe in early April? How close to being 16th, or 15th were we? Were the three of us on the same points but we just had the worst goal difference? Is Hughton still in charge, on can we chalk up a 17th place finish on the disruption caused by a new manager bedding in his style of play and getting his type of player in place? Did we suffer injuries that can explain a poor run? Did we do the double over palace again? Did we get to Wembley again? Have we started to play more entertaining football? Was it a good early run then a drop in form, or a poor start where something changes (a more attacking style, a new signing bedding in whatever) that leads to a stronger run toward the end of the season pulling ourselves out of trouble leaving us with a strong sense that the following season will see improvement in our fortunes?

Even assuming we stay up, I'm not particularly happy with this season. Sure, we did the double over our rivals, we got to the fa cup semi final (last season quarters, this season semis, next season...), but the football has been dire. Even in most of our wins I've walked away disappointed with the game. Like most there's the home games against Man U and Palace. Beyond that it's hard to think of a performance I've enjoyed.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Assuming we are competing in the Premier League next season 17th would not be looked upon as a success. I think we've got to kick on try a new approach and look for at least a mid-table finish in year three. Bournemouth have shown how to stay in the league and be entertaining at the same time as well as Burnley to a lesser extent and just how well have Wolves performed in their first year back. I'm not sure they'll do so well next season. We really need to recruit well this summer as well as try to blood some of our Academy hopefuls. McAllister and Tau may or not be the answer in midfield but we need to strengthen all over the park. We need to score more goals and concede fewer. Sounds obvious but without those numbers as well as providing a source of entertainment we have no hope of kicking on in the Premier League.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Staying up and finishing 17th would be success despite going backwards from last season if it wasn't for the absolute dirge we have been dished up, that is where the success falls down.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Everyone is trying to improve, so getting better players does not guarantee a better position. I would be happy with 17th if the team was playing well, looked organised and not too defensive. I don't care who the manager is.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
And would you be happy with it?

It’s a tough one for me. At some point you have to try and push on, but all the time you stay in the Premier League, regardless of performances and results, you become more financially stable and more established, which should in theory help you move up in the long run.

But is just missing out on relegation in year 3 enough? I guess I’d begrudgingly accept it if you offered it to me now, but it would make for another unenjoyable season, and we are supposed to enjoy going to watch football, otherwise we wouldn’t spend thousands of pounds doing it every year.

Discuss.

It’s a great question.

You would like to think that improvements be made year on year but of course things can conspire against you during that time. Transfer targets missed, player injuries etc....

I guess you set out with a plan of certain length, be it 2 years, 5 years and hope to hit your targets.

It’s not a question that can be answered with confidence but more in hope. That’s why we love football....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here