Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dissertation Survey - Gambling Accessibility

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The main problem with gambling is that it exists and as a result ruins thousands of people's lives.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Done - although I have to say it seemed like a fairly lightweight survey .... difficult to see what useful information/conclusions it will produce.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
The main problem with gambling is that it exists and as a result ruins thousands of people's lives.

Any addiction from which money can be made will be exploited. It's good business.

Gambling employs people, pays tax to the government, and keeps the wheels of industry turning. The only way to stop it is by the whole of the general public deeming it morally wrong, which we won't - and the government will do little to help as it's a great revenue stream.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I had a problem, and I sought help. Not everyone is as able as I am to change my habits but the accessibility is a big issue, especially online. I am regularly hounded with adverts for various betting companies and although I understand why, it annoys me.

StevenageResearcher

Feb 15, 2019
Will you post results and a quick summary of observations? Always good to see where this stuff ends up.

Done.

I very recently closed all my online betting accounts as I felt it was FAR too accessible and easy to lose fiver after fiver with no real sense of true cost.

Done.

The main problem with bookies is that they make it very accessible to have a bet if you lose, not so much if you win. Just Today, a nameless local William Hills shop wouldn't lay me £200 on a 13/8 shot, offered £50 instead:annoyed:

Done.

I did a tally up a little while ago of clubs in the Premier League and Championship and it was something like over 50% of them have gambling sponsors on their shirts.

People in here may know the answer actually: what does an 'official betting partner' actually mean? It is just some betting company throwing money for a club so their logo can appear on websites etc?

Done. My answers will look like I'm a problem gambler, when actually I'm just a matched better!

Can I ask what answers you're attempting to find? I ask because you don't need a dissertation to tell us that gambling is way too accessible - that much is obvious. Are you looking to discover the most effective ways of gambling advertising, or something else?

The idea behind the survey is to identify which methods of gambling are accessible for different demographics. I will be combining the survey with a couple of secondary data sources to link gambling accessibility and exposure to advertising with social demographic indicators. A quick run of the data collected so far produces interesting results with regard to the link between perceived accessibility, as from the survey, social deprivation, and physical accessibility with site locations.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I did the survey but like [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] says id like to know a bit of context. Gambling is highly accessible along the high street or online but only if you are losing. If you win or punt intelligently the product becomes completely unaccessable and in reality you have to assume a new identity.

Back overnight on the horses at fancy prices, tipped up golfers from the likes of Steve Rawlings or stick to the offers and you will be banned.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Done - when you really think about it, adverts and opportunities for betting are everywhere. The next big social disease.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Done - when you really think about it, adverts and opportunities for betting are everywhere. The next big social disease.

I was slightly dismayed when we started slinging betting adverts around the pitch on those electric hoardings.

With the PL TV money do we really need to take money from gambling firms as well? Then I remembered what Uncle Tony is well known for and became even more confused.

Kind of hard to get uppity about gambling / betting firms when we're owned by a professional poker player.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Done.......

It's become hugely pervasive and everyone seems to be doing it. Particularly concerning is the number of younger (yes, like you :) ) people getting into it. When I was a yoof it didn't occur to me to go into a grubby betting shop full of sad old men, but doing it through a glitzy website, after I've been bombarded with adverts, is a million miles away from that. Way too accessible really.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Done. Personally I only bet once a year, on the Grand National and find it easy to ignore adverts, etc that are designed to encourage me to bet.

It could / would have been an interesting slant on this if you'd also looked at how susceptible responders would be to the influence of the advertising they saw and to what degree it would make them more likely to bet, and where (ie online adverts leading the responder to go to bookie to bet compared to betting on their site online or how much more likely an advert in the bookies window would make people go online to bet, go in and bet, etc.....)

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The idea behind the survey is to identify which methods of gambling are accessible for different demographics. I will be combining the survey with a couple of secondary data sources to link gambling accessibility and exposure to advertising with social demographic indicators. A quick run of the data collected so far produces interesting results with regard to the link between perceived accessibility, as from the survey, social deprivation, and physical accessibility with site locations.

Are you looking at social deprivation and gambling as a specific aspect of the research? It would be interesting to look at who plays the lottery and who does not - just general attitudes towards the perception of what gambling promises.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I was slightly dismayed when we started slinging betting adverts around the pitch on those electric hoardings.

With the PL TV money do we really need to take money from gambling firms as well? Then I remembered what Uncle Tony is well known for and became even more confused.

Kind of hard to get uppity about gambling / betting firms when we're owned by a professional poker player.

Accept Uncle Tony is not interested in fixed odds betting, which is where so many problems with gambling start.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Done!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Done.......

It's become hugely pervasive and everyone seems to be doing it. Particularly concerning is the number of younger (yes, like you :) ) people getting into it. When I was a yoof it didn't occur to me to go into a grubby betting shop full of sad old men, but doing it through a glitzy website, after I've been bombarded with adverts, is a million miles away from that. Way too accessible really.

You didn't hang around with the right people! I spent my yoof in Labrokes on Fiveways. Never had any trouble getting in or bets on and the environment was like a social club rather than the arcade it was to become from the age of 15. Once you got to know the people in there it was like a local pub albeit my mum was always asking why I smelt of smoke.

In the evenings, we used to walk to Hove dogs on a Thursday and a Saturday. Whilst we struggled to get served in the Park View, we could get beer with no questions asked at the dog track and have a bet.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Yes, pitch advertising was one of a number of “others” on my survey list.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You didn't hang around with the right people! I spent my yoof in Labrokes on Fiveways. Never had any trouble getting in or bets on and the environment was like a social club rather than the arcade it was to become from the age of 15. Once you got to know the people in there it was like a local pub albeit my mum was always asking why I smelt of smoke.

In the evenings, we used to walk to Hove dogs on a Thursday and a Saturday. Whilst we struggled to get served in the Park View, we could get beer with no questions asked at the dog track and have a bet.

LOL.....I was brought up in a small village, we never even had a betting shop. Placing a bet meant a ‘trip to town’. My parents rarely bet, but occasionally put a few quid on based on tips from ‘Lurch’. All the neighbours did if he happened to provide one - and they nearly always came in. All very dodgy when looking back at it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here