Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Southgate and the England job

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Apparently I didn't post in this thread at the time but I'll be honest, if I had, it would probably have been along these lines...

meh

#teamcalledthatoneallwrong

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great bounce! To be fair we were in a mess at the time, so you can understand the negativity. Just adds to what an incredible job he has done all round though. I hope he's in charge for many years to come!

Plenty more where they came from:-

Tough to get past the first post on this one:-
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?362862-Club-England-allegiances

I cant support a big nosed palace prick that ruined 1996 for me. If he went and dunk was in the team. Would I change? 100% yes. :lol: :bowdown:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?364379-Are-you-looking-forward-to-the-World-Cup

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?301908-Gareth-Southgate-dark-horse

Oh and just in case anyone thinks this comes from a 'haha I was right post', this is me from yesterday:-
If you disregard all the shite I've written about GS, for the last couple of years, I think you'll find...

...I never really had an opinion concerning the fella. :lol:

Oh this trawling is amusing:-

Here's me bristling against Robbie Savage demeaning the possibility of using a Sports Psychologist to get over England's penalty hoodoo.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...blinkered-thinking-from-a-Soccerballist-again

Here's an interview with the Sports Psychologist that got England over it's penalty hoodoo. :lol:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/meet-england-psychologist-who-helped-12855098

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am relieved to have not posted on this thread but, like some others, it was due to lack of interest more than any sense of enthusiasm.

Hats off to one or two, though, especially [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION], for repeated and consistent sensible posts. :bowdown:

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I am relieved to have not posted on this thread but, like some others, it was due to lack of interest more than any sense of enthusiasm.

Hats off to one or two, though, especially [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION], for repeated and consistent sensible posts. :bowdown:

Who wants to be called sensible? :lol:

I call it optimistic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Couldn't you wait until the end?

I don't see why, all expectations have been surpassed, with everyone now signing Southgate's praises.
At this time yesterday only 3 of us were prepared to say how wrong they were.
Highlighting that shamed a few others into honesty, but as we have an achieve containing gems like:-

"I cant support a big nosed palace prick that ruined 1996 for me. If he went and dunk was in the team. Would I change? 100% yes".

It would seem almost criminal to not see what other gloriously wrong quotes are in there.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I admit to being underwhelmed by his appointment, but i couldn't have got it more wrong, he has done brilliantly and brought the pride back to the national side for the first time in many years.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't see why, all expectations have been surpassed, with everyone now signing Southgate's praises.
At the moment we're still in, and everyone's in a good mood. Well, most of us. Looking at some posts on NSC it seems some people are in a terrible mood, but I don't know why. Anyway, right now most of us are happy, and if we lose against Croatia we'll reflect that we got further than we have for decades, that the team played with a good attitude, there was a sense of togetherness, and hopefully we're on the right track - but we'll also reflect that the best team we beat was Colombia, and we only managed that on penalties.

Since 1990 we've lost knock-out games against Argentina, Brazil and Portugal, and we haven't beaten anyone of that level this time either.

We need to win on Wednesday.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
At this time yesterday only 3 of us were prepared to say how wrong they were.
Highlighting that shamed a few others into honesty, but as we have an achieve containing gems like:-

"I cant support a big nosed palace prick that ruined 1996 for me. If he went and dunk was in the team. Would I change? 100% yes".

It would seem almost criminal to not see what other gloriously wrong quotes are in there.

I will say I was concerned about our style of play and the rigid 4-4-2, I would love to believe that Gareth read my insightful post on this thread and decided to change to the 3-5-2 with pacy wingbacks that has served us so well...:moo:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I don't think I'm the only one:
We have no creativity in the side and think that possession is going to win us games.
We only have one form of attack and that is our full-backs trying to get forward and deliver crosses, but pick Sturridge to try and get on the end of them.
We have Rooney in the team who only slows things down, can't go past anyone and doesn't play any 'killer balls' inside the centre backs for our CF to run on to.
Our wide players constantly want to come inside and make the attack congested.
Our holding midfield player is isolated most of the time so gets overrun
And I have no idea what Henderson is doing, he isn't a box to box midfielder, he doesn't break up play and only seems capable of passing the ball three yards left or right, or hitting a 50 yard ball out of play.
We are easy to defend against. drop deep so we can't get round the back, and kill the space for Sturridge/Vardy to run in to.

As you have clearly worked it out, please can you explain it to me?

I watch Brighton and I can see how we plan to score, we get the ball wide to our quick players and try and get the ball in the box early, we know we are going to be under pressure at times, but have centre-mids who will harangue and break up play. We then have an additional forward who will run around and make space, to allow our midfield to get up and support. I get that.... No idea with England.

Oh wind your neck in. Had we won the game 2-0 I suspect you wouldn't be leveling half these criticisms.

We had the better of Spain for 89 minutes. We played some very nice - at times - one touch football. We played a successful counter attacking game against one of the best teams in the world. Boo-hoo we ended up drawing. I think a lot of the young players in the team will learn a lot more than drawing a game like that and the importance of keeping the ball. You're making out we're awful with no game plan - but we had a very successful game plan that nearly won us the game. Spain have been a force in world football for decades now, we haven't - what were you expecting?

:bounce:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Doesn't matter who gets it as the tactics will always be the same and there's never a togetherness with England players...just big egos who're only interested in playing the domestic game.
Nothing ever changes sadly as most supporters have lost interest in the national side....If international football here was scrapped I don't think many would be to fussed.

:D :bigwave:
Nice to be wrong sometimes :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
At the moment we're still in, and everyone's in a good mood. Well, most of us. Looking at some posts on NSC it seems some people are in a terrible mood, but I don't know why. Anyway, right now most of us are happy, and if we lose against Croatia we'll reflect that we got further than we have for decades, that the team played with a good attitude, there was a sense of togetherness, and hopefully we're on the right track - but we'll also reflect that the best team we beat was Colombia, and we only managed that on penalties.

Since 1990 we've lost knock-out games against Argentina, Brazil and Portugal, and we haven't beaten anyone of that level this time either.

We need to win on Wednesday.

Bit of perspective on the route so far :

"England have had the easiest route to the semi-final so far"

Average FIFA rankings of the five teams each team has faced to reach the semi-final so far

France = 17
England = 22.2
Belgium = 29
Croatia = 30.4

It's a bit like the 'top 6' discussion in the PL I guess - we haven't played any of the 'Top 6' but unless we win the whole thing we won't have......

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Four words.

Wayne Rooney player manager.

image.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bit of perspective on the route so far :

"England have had the easiest route to the semi-final so far"

Average FIFA rankings of the five teams each team has faced to reach the semi-final so far

France = 17
England = 22.2
Belgium = 29
Croatia = 30.4
That seems like a great example of lies, damn lies and statistics. Included in that average will be our game against Belgium, which we lost.

Belgium had to beat Brazil, France had to beat Argentina and Uruguay, while we had Sweden and Colombia. There's no need to try and cheat with stats, we've had it easy so far.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That seems like a great example of lies, damn lies and statistics. Included in that average will be our game against Belgium, which we lost.

Belgium had to beat Brazil, France had to beat Argentina and Uruguay, while we had Sweden and Colombia. There's no need to try and cheat with stats, we've had it easy so far.

Don't disagree. Brilliant by Southgate to throw the Belgium game. Who is cheating ?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I bet hardly anyone can name all the teams we beat in 1966. Getting where you get is the only stat remembered.

Makes no odds. In the semi final and anything can happen

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Most teams I watch I can see what they are trying to achieve, and how they are looking to score, I can't fathom it with this side.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
We scored 4 headers in 2 games.

Probably headers.

I did say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here