Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fulham V Brighton And Hove Albion bigger boys 15.00 K.O The EBB Stadium

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Let’s hope we perform better at Watford than last season.

To be honest I don’t give a monkey’s about pre-season games results. They are training games to enable the coaching staff to assess what is required for the league season. Hopefully they, and the players, will be fine tuned for Saturday 10th August, we certainly weren’t in the corresponding fixture last year.

Too right about preseason games long as you avoid a thrashing against a minnow ..and it would be the same if we had won them

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That’s a really good point you’ve alluded to

One of my biggest concerns is the quality of the squad.

I mean how many of our players would walk into a mid table prem team as starters?

Dunk
Duffy

I’m struggling after that.

Perhaps Bernardo

(Though those last two had stinkers yesterday)

Ryan
Stephens
Propper
Gross

All okay for us, but squad members for most other teams (perhaps I’m harsh on Propper).

I think we have a lot of work to do in this window, and IMO we haven’t got meaningfully started.

Edit - apologies all, didn’t read the discussion after [MENTION=14905]symyjym[/MENTION] post.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers for reporting back with your first hand overview. It's certainly going to be harder for Potter to change our style and philosophy, whilst competing in the Prem, than Eddie Howe setting up his shop from League One. If we can get to double figures before the start of December we will be doing okay because generally the bottom teams struggle to reach that benchmark. These preseason games don't really tell us much apart from there is lots of work to be done for the Watford game which will be fascinating, and I can't wait to see who we are.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Ha! To me
He looked exactly the same as he always does and said some fairly normal bland things about improving and his team are responding to his ideas. . Couldn’t read anything much into it all. Likewise looked similar after the thumping win last week.

I was joking. He looked a lot more serious though, and seemed irritated by being questioned. Mind you they were all stupid questions like; is the team brilliant yet?

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Is it the case that we have used 4 2 3 1 for all our pre season so far?
We may have learnt one thing that at least initially the new manager feels this is best for our current squad.
A relatively small tweak from our last manager.
If locardio is contesting the central attacking role with andone and murray.
Knocky goes and izzy injured maybe the priority is another winger/inside forward and not a forward unless
one of the current three are let go?

Thats a fair point, however i think Locadia will be competing with Trossard for the left of the 3 at least until Izquierdo is back, leaving just Andone and Murray for the striker role and still no competition for Gross unless Potter thinks Alzate is ready.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Did the players really stink out the PL in the first half of last season? I think the players proved they could play, even in the second half of the season. Battered Watford for 90 minutes and Fulham for 45. Most of them have the skill, so something else was missing.
We were pretty bad at Newcastke away and Wolves at home but some how managed to win both. The stats said we were in the bottom three for chances created up to xmas. The warning signs were there.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
When the club itself have said "the market is a nightmare, we're trying".

The problem for me is that we've heard this for three summer transfer windows now.

The prices being bandied about now will no doubt look cheap next summer. It's the disproportionate income from being in the Premier League to The Championship.

All this means we miss out on signings.

We all know that we have been able to survive for two seasons now without a good Premier League striker, no disrespect to Glenn but he should have been a back up. We have been very lucky he hasn't had a bad injury.

Ulloa aside, our striker signings in the Amex era have been pretty poor. Surely we can find a decent striker. That's without the massive need for a central midfielder and a right back.

So I can understand some having frustrations.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thats a fair point, however i think Locadia will be competing with Trossard for the left of the 3 at least until Izquierdo is back, leaving just Andone and Murray for the striker role and still no competition for Gross unless Potter thinks Alzate is ready.
I think Alzate is a DM, so that's unlikely.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

It's a bit of a thankless task because some players cover 2 positions, but

CF( 3 needed )
Murray
Andone
(Locadia)

ALM(2)
Trossard
Locadia
[Izzy]

ACM(2)
Groß
(Alireza)

ARM(2)
March
Alireza

So we are potentially 2 players short - but then we consider Izzy will need to be added into the squad in January, and we are already getting hints about Taylor Richards (ACM). And we have Alzate as mentioned.

It'll be Potter's choice what positions we go for up front - I guess 1 CF, but clearly may be wrong.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
We were pretty bad at Newcastke away and Wolves at home but some how managed to win both. The stats said we were in the bottom three for chances created up to xmas. The warning signs were there.

I and others said as much on this board, but many didn't like it. they were indeed there.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
It's a bit of a thankless task because some players cover 2 positions, but

CF( 3 needed )
Murray
Andone
(Locadia)

ALM(2)
Trossard
Locadia
[Izzy]

ACM(2)
Groß
(Alireza)

ARM(2)
March
Alireza

So we are potentially 2 players short - but then we consider Izzy will need to be added into the squad in January, and we are already getting hints about Taylor Richards (ACM). And we have Alzate as mentioned.

It'll be Potter's choice what positions we go for up front - I guess 1 CF, but clearly may be wrong.

I agree there are a few who can play in more than one position, you can add Trossard to the ACM role too i believe so perhaps that position is covered better than i thought but whichever way we shuffle it, we are still a couple light besides a right back.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
HUGE proportion :rolleyes::ffsparr: I wouldn't even say it's anything like a huge proportion on here, let alone in reality. The same old names on here repeat the same old negativity, whilst in real life most Albion fans are pretty rational folk. All clubs have their fair share of irrational fans, us included - some id say far more than us proportion wise too - but it's absolutely nothing like a 'huge proportion'.

Fair play. I posted this when drunk, so I’ll retract ‘huge’ 👍🏼

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

We all know that we have been able to survive for two seasons now without a good Premier League striker, no disrespect to Glenn but he should have been a back up. We have been very lucky he hasn't had a bad injury.

Ulloa aside, our striker signings in the Amex era have been pretty poor. Surely we can find .

Hemed, Murray and Baldock got us promoted, were all vfm and Murray is a good premier league striker who has scored 25 goals.
Locadia might or might not come good but you’d find it pretty easy to find multiple clubs with far poorer striker records than us over the past 6 years or so .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shhh.....i’m trying to be positive :D

They are third from bottom at the mo

If it helps we're currently 4th in the last Champions League qualifying position -

Which is nice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here